Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 42
24 April 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Hi JW,

Thanks for uploading two new videos. I am getting a bit tired of listening to only religious texts.
Fasulye

I'm aware this was not meant to be offensive but I found it very offensive.

I don't see how this is even one bit offensive.
1 person has voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5153 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 18 of 42
24 April 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Smart wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Hi JW,

Thanks for uploading two new videos. I am getting a bit tired of listening to only religious texts.
Fasulye

I don't see how this is even one bit offensive.

Well thanks for your two cents but for me, it was probably the most offensive thing one could write.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6193 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 42
24 April 2010 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Smart,

Maybe you should realize that your opinion can come across as criticism and as judgmental. Fasulye is perfectly free to listen to whatever she wants to without you having to show your disapproval.

Eric

Edited by newyorkeric on 24 April 2010 at 7:58am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5661 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 42
24 April 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Smart,

Maybe you should realize that your opinion can come across as criticism and as judgmental. Fasulye is perfectly free to listen to whatever she wants to without you having to show your disapproval.

Eric

I like to watch JW's videos, because he is an excellent polyglot. And I have so much interesting forum contact with him that he knows how I mean it. Anyway, I am looking forward to new videos of JW at any time and I will watch them with interest again. I also very much appreciate JW's analysis when he watches my videos, because we speak the same languages, so his comments are very qualified.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 April 2010 at 9:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5483 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 21 of 42
24 April 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
JW wrote:
I uploaded two new videos:

1. Dutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOVlnXpByjs

2. French: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_IbsF-gg5c

Hi JW,

Fasulye

If you were aware it was not meant to be offensive, then why even make the comment?

I do know that we are supposed to tread on eggshells around people who are strongly religious, but to exclaim offense at a person's honest observation that they would prefer to listen to some non-religious texts seems extreme. I am sure I found your own comment as offensive as you found Fasuyle's to be, but not all feelings of offense should be shared.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5661 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 42
24 April 2010 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

The Bible texts are meaningful for me as I enjoy memorizing the Bible in various languages. However, I also like poetry so I'll make some recordings of poems at some point. I think I finally have the hang of the whole process of recording and uploading videos efficiently so I'll hopefully be able to do it more regularly.

Yes, I know that you study languages by reading paralell Bible texts in several languages, you have once showed one example here in this forum. So I understand - from your side - the choice of your topics. I like the idea that you will recite some poems in the future, because you have a very accentuated intonation. This is very effectful, when reading poems to an audience.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 April 2010 at 9:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5153 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 

Message 23 of 42
24 April 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Smart,

Eric

It was not some random opinion, it was a guttural reaction, my entire inner being was outraged. It was not criticism nor was it judgmental, you clearly misunderstand my position on the matter.

And indeed, Fasulye can listen to anything, she just does not have to attack JW for his particular choice of material. I was expressing my reaction and in some sense defending JW.

I suppose what would have been a more appropriate response to JW's choice of text to read was to ask if he planned to do other kinds of materials such as poetry... etc

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5153 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 

Message 24 of 42
24 April 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Smart wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
JW wrote:
I uploaded two new videos:

1. Dutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOVlnXpByjs

2. French: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_IbsF-gg5c

Hi JW,

Fasulye

If you were aware it was not meant to be offensive, then why even make the comment?

I do know that we are supposed to tread on eggshells around people who are strongly religious, but to exclaim offense at a person's honest observation that they would prefer to listen to some non-religious texts seems extreme. I am sure I found your own comment as offensive as you found Fasuyle's to be, but not all feelings of offense should be shared.

To your first statement, learn to understand people of another worldview instead of attacking them for expressing their position.

and on to your other remarks, there is absolutely not a single reason in the world for these remarks. You are clearly biased and for the benefit of the forum, I will ignore you from here on out.

Fasulye wrote:
JW wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

The Bible texts are meaningful for me as I enjoy memorizing the Bible in various languages. However, I also like poetry so I'll make some recordings of poems at some point. I think I finally have the hang of the whole process of recording and uploading videos efficiently so I'll hopefully be able to do it more regularly.

Yes, I know that you study languages by reading paralell Bible texts in several languages, you have once showed one example here in this forum. So I understand - from your side - the choice of your topics. I like the idea that you will recite some poems in the future, because you have a very accentuated intonation. This is very effectful, when reading poems to an audience.

Fasulye

I tried sending you a PM, could you delete one of your messages? your inbox is full.
Thanks

Edited by Smart on 24 April 2010 at 10:48pm

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version