Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5149 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 25 of 42
25 April 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Hi JW, I watched your videos and I have to say I loved the Koine Greek bit. I don't speak the language so I'm afraid I can't help you with the pronunciation but I think it sounds really beautiful regardless. Greek is one of those languages I would love to learn one day.

I can help you with your Dutch pronunciation though. I read that you modelled your accent on people with a rolling r and a soft g so I'm guessing they were from the South of the Netherlands and Belgium. I'm originally from the Mid-West but I think I can still help you with some of the sounds, including those tricky vowels. :) Your g is interesting. In most words like God and geest it sounds just like mine but in the word licht for instance it sounds more like a Flemish one.

Your overall accent sounds a bit Spanish and German at the same time which I guess isn't surprising since you speak both.
I would tone down the rolling of the r if I were you. Dutch is supposed to have a rolling r but it's less strong than the Spanish one and it's sometimes barely heard.
And then the vowels of course. Your i sounds a bit too much like an ee sound so try to make it really short. Your -ee sound (the Dutch one) is a bit too short, rather like a German -e so try and make that sound more like the American -ay which comes a lot closer. The -oe sound (as in woest) is pronounced the same as the -oo in English.

I hope that was helpful and keep up the good work!

By the way, thank you for the site with the Dutch podcasts. I listened to one recording for a couple of minutes and it sounds wonderful. I've always loved the voices of those somewhat elderly Dutch men because they still have a beautiful pronunciation and intonation of Dutch that has kind of died out in recent years. They sound like real gentlemen.

Edited by ReneeMona on 13 May 2010 at 10:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5936 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 26 of 42
25 April 2010 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Thanks for uploading two new videos. I am getting a bit tired of listening to only religious texts.
Fasulye

I'm aware this was not meant to be offensive but I found it very offensive.

I am not offended by the remark because of the source, Fasulye. We have been listening to each other's videos, and interacting with each other in various languages, on this and other forums, for a long time. She has been providing me with insightful advice and assistance which I have used to improve my language skills. She is a true "professional" polyglot in that she uses languages in her career. She also lives a polyglot lifestyle. She is the "Real Deal" when it comes to polyglotism.

She, and others here don't share my passion for the Bible, that is o.k. I don't mind mixing in some recordings of poetry (as I have done in my sound recordings on this site), since I also appreciate poetry in various languages (although I am not nearly as passionate about it as I am about the Bible).

2 persons have voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5153 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 27 of 42
25 April 2010 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
Smart wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Thanks for uploading two new videos. I am getting a bit tired of listening to only religious texts.
Fasulye

I'm aware this was not meant to be offensive but I found it very offensive.

I am not offended by the remark because of the source, Fasulye. We have been listening to each other's videos, and interacting with each other in various languages, on this and other forums, for a long time. She has been providing me with insightful advice and assistance which I have used to improve my language skills. She is a true "professional" polyglot in that she uses languages in her career. She also lives a polyglot lifestyle. She is the "Real Deal" when it comes to polyglotism.

She, and others here don't share my passion for the Bible, that is o.k. I don't mind mixing in some recordings of poetry (as I have done in my sound recordings on this site), since I also appreciate poetry in various languages (although I am not nearly as passionate about it as I am about the Bible).

Of course, I never would discredit Fasulye.
1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5936 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 28 of 42
25 April 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
I can help you with your Dutch pronunciation though. I read that you modeled your accent on people with a rolling r and a soft g so I'm guessing they were from the South of the Netherlands and Belgium. I'm originally from the Mid-West but I think I can still help you with some of the sounds, including those tricky vowels. :) Your g is interesting. In most words like God and geest it sounds just like mine but in the word licht for instance it sounds more like a Flemish one.

Your overall accent sounds a bit Spanish and German at the same time which I guess isn't surprising since you speak both.
I would tone down the rolling of the r if I were you. Dutch is supposed to have a rolling r but it's less strong than the Spanish one and it's sometimes barely heard.
And then the vowels of course. Your i sounds a bit too much like an ee sound so try to make it really short. Your -ee sound (the Dutch one) is a bit too short, rather like a German -e so try and make that sound more like the American -ay which comes a lot closer. The -oe sound (as in woest) is pronounced the same as the -oo in English.

Fasulye wrote:
JW, I agree that Dutch vowels are not that easy. When I learned the language as a beginner, for me the "ui" diphtong was the most difficult to pronounce.

When speaking Dutch, your Dutch sounds to me, as if you were speaking some kind of Dutch dialect, but it's not a real existing one. My Dutch friend also listened to your Dutch video and he said that your Dutch sounds a bit artificial, which is logical, because you have never had the chance to speak it in Flanders or the Netherlands.

Couldn't you make a ship journey to Europe with your wife?
Fasulye

Thanks for this specific feedback. I think, in summary, you are both saying that I am mixing legitimate Dutch pronunciation of various dialects as well as committing some mispronunciation. I will work on these issues, and make another recording when I feel that I have made progress.

As far as going to Europe by ship, my wife doesn't like the idea of being at sea for various reasons. I think she will agree to fly there in the near future.

Edited by JW on 25 April 2010 at 1:40am

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5936 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 29 of 42
03 May 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Here is another video I just made in Spanish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVehBFpvXQ

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5247 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 30 of 42
04 May 2010 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
JW,

I too have much enjoyed your Koine Greek video. I've only been studying it for 3 months and have found the wide range of pronunciation on the web a bit confusing. Each mp3 GNT I find online uses a different system. Could you expound a bit on how you developed your pronunciation? Could you recommend any audio material with good pronunciation?

Thanks.

d.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5936 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 31 of 42
04 May 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
JW,

I too have much enjoyed your Koine Greek video. I've only been studying it for 3 months and have found the wide range of pronunciation on the web a bit confusing. Each mp3 GNT I find online uses a different system. Could you expound a bit on how you developed your pronunciation? Could you recommend any audio material with good pronunciation?

Thanks.

d.

Funny you should ask. I am just about to make another video of a longer reading in which I will correct a few things from the first video, based on further research, as well as explain the various pronunciation systems.

There are three pronunciation systems in use for Koine Greek:

1. Erasmian - This is the most common, but it is clearly wooden, artificial, and certainly not the way Koine was pronounced by native speakers. The phonemes are clearly wrong and it is cacophonous and dissonant.

2. Modern Greek - This is a legitimate way to pronounce Koine, i.e., just pronounce it the same way as Modern Greek is pronounced. However, I think it is really not ideal as, even though Koine and Modern Greek are similar, they are different dialects. The Modern Greek pronunciation method also does not differentiate some of the Koine phonemes.

When listening to MP3s online you are probably hearing readings using either Erasmian or Modern Greek pronunciation. These are two very different sounding pronunciations.

3. The third option is the "Living Koine" system also called Roman Period Koine or Imperial Koine. This option attempts to reproduce the language the way it was spoken in the Roman period (200 BC to 200 AD). To me this is the system that makes the most sense. It is close to the Modern Greek system but does a better job differentiating the Koine phonemes.

You can find a detailed paper on this subject along with some MP3s by Dr. Randall Buth, one of the main proponents of the Living Koine system here:

http://www.letsreadgreek.com/Resources/greekntaudio.htm#buth

Edited by JW on 04 May 2010 at 6:22am

3 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5936 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 32 of 42
05 May 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Here is a video of a reading in Koine Greek in which I also discuss the various pronunciation systems:

http://www.youtube.com/user/egwpisteuw#p/u

Edited by JW on 05 May 2010 at 9:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version