Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
164 messages over 21 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 20 21 Next >>
Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 33 of 164
20 January 2010 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
x

Edited by Quabazaa on 10 May 2014 at 3:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5377 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 34 of 164
20 January 2010 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
I assume it's Jenny?
If it is then جيني ,there is no شدة on "n".
There is a Syrian actress who has this name and it's written the way i told you.
she is half Ukrainian though, so this name doesn't exist for pure Syrians, although "Jane" does.

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 35 of 164
20 January 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Yeah it's Jenny.. so my friend who showed me wrote it wrong? Hehe I had been wondering if it was right XD I'm glad it doesn't have a silly meaning then! Thanks a lot Kinan :)

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5377 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 36 of 164
20 January 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I am glad to remove a huge burdon of your shoulders Jenny.
But i wonder what Arab could get wrong with writing your name, i mean seeing 2 "n"s won't necessarly mean there is a "شدة" on it.
You know what "شدة" means right?

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 

Message 37 of 164
20 January 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Yes I know what it means. Ha maybe my friend was making a joke to call me crazy, I wouldn't be surprised :P Or I could have remembered it wrong, now I'm really not sure!!!

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5377 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 38 of 164
20 January 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Oh, to explain the other words:
"جنّي" with "كسرة" on "j" is an order to a female to go crazy.
"جني" with "فتحة" on "j" and without "شدة" means "earn" or "collect".
" جني المحصول" means "harvest".

You chose a very hard language to study. I was born in Ukraine "my mother is Russian" and when i went to Syria, i could only talk in MSA Arabic till the fourth class and the kdis used to laugh at me cuz MSA is never used outside of school and literature.
I found hard time learning it although i lived there since childhood and i have learned it mostly cuz i used to play with the kids outside.
So you really need to visit some arabic country and live there for some time to master it, but first ofcourse you have to learn the basics and as much as you can from the language and then test it in some arabic country.

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6976 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 39 of 164
20 January 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Hello, Quabazza! Yes, I definitely saw your message. Thanks! Let's see: I do like rock, but not necessarily punk (although I'm open to any recommendations. Plus, I think Icaria909, my teammate, is intrigued by your recs as well. So please, offer anything! Life's an adventure). In English, a good representative band for what I like in rock is the "Offspring." But I also like haunting, minor-key rock ballads, like "Behind Blue Eyes" from The Who (although if I'm honest with myself, I like Limp Bizkit's remake better). In Spanish, I've recently been getting into "El cuarteto de nos"--which is to say I like their one song "Me amo." But ah, Spanish! There I love the cumbia, merengue, some salsa, reggaetón, tejano, and even some sad bachatas.

And yes, that "Geld" book is heavy! :) For me, it's also one of the first books in a foreign language where the main objective is to learn about a new phenomenon, as opposed to exposing myself to the language. I feel very challenged! But I think it might be one of those books to revisit and mine for sentences. I like your goal of reading so many books from around the world!

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 

Message 40 of 164
21 January 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
x

Edited by Quabazaa on 10 May 2014 at 3:12pm

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version