Triglot
United States
Joined 5608 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Latin

Message 105 of 124
24 March 2011 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Spanish words with the superlative ending 'ísimo' or similar 'issimus -a -um' in Latin
Like in Spanish
cansadísimo, ocupadísimo
in Latin
clarissima, pulcherrimus
1 person has voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5679 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 106 of 124
24 March 2011 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Hungarian has some words that give me a good feeling by just reading them aloud, specially long words.

"rettenetesen" ((awfully) - it just sounds great saying it.
"oroszlán" (lion) - same for this one.
"tigris" (tiger) - this one is somehow funny, specially because the Hungarian "S" is pronounced like "sh"
"biciklizni" (to ride a bike), internetezni (to surf on the web) - that's also a funny aspect of Hungarian, nouns can become verbs by simply adding a "-ni" in the ending
"magyarázni" (to explain) - This one is very peculiar. "Magyar" = hungarian, so "to explain" is literally "to make it hungarian", funny, huh?

Besides that, I love the agglutinative aspect of Hungarian, it just makes the language much more fun to learn.

---

In German there's also one that comes to my mind now "Weltmeister" (world champion). It's funny to me because "meister", in other contexts can mean "master", so I always see it like "master of the world".

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4982 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 107 of 124
24 March 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Japanese
加之 (しかのみならず)Shikanominarazu, "what's more"
こら Kora, "Oi!", "Hey!"
押忍! Osu, anything between "Good morning" and "wazzup!"
漢 Otoko, "man". This feels awesome to write. 漢と書いて「おとこ」と読め、こんやろう!
お前はもう死んでいる Omae ha mou shinde iru. "You are already dead." Okay, so I know this isn't a word, but.. thrown in for good measure.

Also just about anything in classical Japanese (which sounds awesome) and Kansai dialect (which sounds like Japanese if it were a lively language).

Honorable Mention:
Austrian German - Blunzngröstl.

Edited by Segata on 24 March 2011 at 10:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5149 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 108 of 124
24 March 2011 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
English:
'cellar door' - said to be one of the most beautiful words in the English language. I quite like it. Say it a couple of times and it sounds like a French word. :)

Japanese:
kirei - pretty - I just love everything about this word. I love how it's ki-re-i... and I like the Kanji (綺麗) and it's meaning, "pretty"! :)

Didgeridoo
United States
Joined 4964 days ago

28 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Finnish

Message 109 of 124
26 March 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Some of the only exciting words I can think of are elements - just saying rubidium, tellurium, gallium, manganese, and strontium always makes me smile a bit. And now that I think of it, saying "smooth phosphorescent pools illuminated by light of crescent moon" sounds pretty cool. And I really like saying that something is "tangentially" related to another thing. :)

Edit:
pookiebear79 wrote:

My other peanutty word that I like is the Dutch 'pindakaas.' Even though it's peanut butter, it literally reads as 'peanut cheese' which I find hilarious.

That is the best thing I have read in a veeeeery long time xD

Edited by Didgeridoo on 26 March 2011 at 4:59am

Matt314
United States
musicartplus.blogspo
Joined 4805 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 110 of 124
26 March 2011 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
Vaffanculo. ;)
I also find it quite funny that if you mispronounce "penne alla vodka", it's translated into "penis vodka" and it rolls of the tongue well. Same with Fico (fica), but it doesn't sound as good.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 111 of 124
26 March 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Envinyatar wrote:

Hebrew: Chutzpah (Audacity). This word is simply awesome.

We use it in Polish too.

omigod666 wrote:
Chinese Mandarin:
俺:It means the same as in Japanese,a very manly word indeed! Sadly its use is only restricted in the Northern part of China

I don't know if it's restricted to males, my friend from Beijing has used it.
She is very girly.

hombre gordo wrote:
I forgot to mention that I am obsessed with this Japanese expression.

(insert name)の逆鱗に触れる (^no gekirin ni fureru)

Its meaning is "to arouse ones imperial anger"! In other words to p¥ss off a superior.

I also love to use the word "automobile" instead of the boring word "car". I also prefer 自動車 (jidousha) over 車 (kuruma). And in Spanish "auto" is way cooler than "coche".

I also find the wording of the expression "to apply for a sex change" hilarous. Why the verb "to apply for"? I have only ever heard it on the radio of Vice City. I wonder if it makes sense to say 性転換を申し込む in Japanese. For example 俺が性転換を申し込んだのは嘘だ!

Thanks, I learned a new expression.

Sayumi wrote:
虎穴に入らずんば虎児を得ず - Nothing ventured, nothing gained, in Japanese.
It's interesting, because I hate "Quem não arrisca não petisca", which means the exact same thing, only in (European only?) Portuguese.

That's interesting thing I have learned.
This 入らずんば

Must be some old grammar.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 112 of 124
26 March 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Skantz wrote:
I can't believe the Russian word давай (davai) hasn't be listed yet. It literally means "give" but is widely used as "let's go" or "come on." It's got some kick to it somehow.

They used in American song, with those two guys called "Outcasts", when they were wearing those green outfits.

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version