Groupie
United States
Joined 5407 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 26 of 124
12 December 2009 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
In English, I have long thought that the word "Orchard" sounds great. It always conjures up strong mental images in my mind. Whenever I tell someone this, I usually just get weird looks, though.

"удовлетворительно" has been my favorite Russian word since I began studying a few months ago. (Also, does anyone know if this is only used exclusively in the Russian grading scale or if I may use it to mean satisfactory in any respect?)

"Altisonante" has been my favorite Spanish word for a while, now.

"Fremdsprachigschwierigkeit" is a cool word to say in German, though it may just be because of my love of long words, haha.
1 person has voted this message useful

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6757 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 28 of 124
13 December 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
My favourite Spanish word has always been "desafortunadamente." It just feels great to say!

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5918 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 29 of 124
13 December 2009 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
i like "righteous" and "righteousness".

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 30 of 124
13 December 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Reverse. I love this word, especially when used as a verb (not necessarily to a car reversing, but some kind of ailment or hinderance, or anything). "The spell reversed." Mmmm. The r-coloured vowel can be hideous to the ears at times, and other times it sounds quite regal!

Regardless is another good one.

Empress, countess, princess, and other titles with the feminine -ess ending.

In Finnish, for some reason, I really love the 2nd person plural pronoun te. Perhaps it is because we lack this pronoun in English, but it also makes statements sound important. "Kuulkaa tarkkaan, te kaikki!" I love Finnish vocabulary in general, but this it the only word that comes to mind that excites me to use it or hear it being used.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6235 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 31 of 124
13 December 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
For those of you who like long words, when I was in 8th grade all the teachers had a list of progressively longer words, one for each week of school.

If a student was bad, they had to write the word between 50-200 times.

Words went from smaller words, like "vasodilitation" to longer words, including "antidisestablishimentarianism" and the final word of the year, which was "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" (a type of lung disease, I believe).

I remember how to pronounce that word because in 6th grade, my friend's mom was a nurse (or maybe a doctor) and he taught us all how to say it. lol.

Edited by IronFist on 13 December 2009 at 6:29pm

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5319 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 32 of 124
13 December 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I love French exclamations like what you find in Tintin. Saperlipopette! Zut alors! Ça m'étonne! Great fun.

Their translations to Swedish are equally awesome. "Bomber och granater - Bombs and grendades!" or "Nu blommar asfalten - And now the asphalt is in full bloom!". They seem to be different from the French originals. The Captain makes Tintin worth reading, I can't stand Tintin's politcally correct scoutlike smugness.

"Kulspruta (machinegun)" is pretty manly, it means "Bullet sprayer". There are lots of cool military words, they are often archaic, terse and unapologetic.

A Greek favourite is Παντοκράτωρ, The Almighty. Krator is such a strong word, with the KR- and the accented A.

Also, there are tons of fantastic words in (Old) Church Slavonic, like 'reché', as in 'reché Gospod'', 'razbojnik' - robber and 'tat' - thief. 'Plot' for flesh and the plural form 'chada' - children (sort of) are also nice. Most of these are used in modern Russian as well.

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version