Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 17 of 25
20 December 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
irrationale wrote:
The u in qu, lu, shu, etc sounds different as well.

That's only because qu is actually qü, but the dots on ü are left out because the u-sound (without dots) is not possible after q.

The u-sounds in lu and shu are the same, except for some slight coloring that the vowel may receive from the initial consonant.

I would like to disagree with those of you who have voiced the opinion that pinyin is not a perfect system. It IS perfect for its purpose. The writing exactly represents the correct pronunciation every time. You just need to know what characters represent what sounds in what combinations, plus a few special rules, like when the dots on ü can be left out as mentioned above.

Sometimes the pinyin system is criticized as imperfect because it will not enable English-speakers, or other westerners, to instantly acquire flawless Chinese pronunciation in one fell swoop by just looking at the pinyin spelling. These are of course totally unrealistic expectations and nothing to do with how good the pinyin system is. It is only perfect, not magical :o).

I agree with the first part, about different u's, but I am starting to think that pinyin only seems like a perfect fit because the standardized language has been forced to align with pinyin. It is entirely possible that what is now acceptable standard Mandarin is in fact merely a construction that was designed to be logical and regular. I wouldn't put that past the communists. For example, several similar but non-identical vowels may have been merged into one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6705 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 25
20 December 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
... but I am starting to think that pinyin only seems like a perfect fit because the standardized language has been forced to align with pinyin. It is entirely possible that what is now acceptable standard Mandarin is in fact merely a construction that was designed to be logical and regular. I wouldn't put that past the communists. For example, several similar but non-identical vowels may have been merged into one.

Good point. It is possible, and I was only referring to the fit that exists today, with standard Mandarin. Still, the communists were only at it for half a century or so. It should be possible to verify if this did in fact take place.

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 19 of 25
22 December 2009 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
irrationale wrote:
The u in qu, lu, shu, etc sounds different as
well.

That's only because qu is actually qü, but the dots on ü are left out because the u-
sound (without dots) is not possible after q.

The u-sounds in lu and shu are the same, except for some slight coloring that the vowel
may receive from the initial consonant.

I was confused the first time I read this so I just want to clarify for any other
simple-minded people like me out there: there is lu and there is also lü and they
are different sounds. SOMETIMES you will see the umlaut dropped [ETA: when it shouldn't
be], but it should be a pretty uncommon experience. A quick look at the Zhuyin Fuhao
will make it clearer: ㄌㄨ and ㄌㄩ respectively. Think "road" vs "green." The first
rhymes with ku, the second rhymes with yu and is in general pretty rare. I can't
actually think of any common characters that would be transliterated as lü apart from
"green" and "donkey" but it's something to keep in mind. Don't you love exceptions? :)

I agree that shi is voiced which probably means there's a vowel (actually I'm not sure
on the technical definition of "vowel," but I'll trust you on this), but I understand
where the confusion may be coming from - in Bopomofo it is simply written as the Zhuyin
Fuhao equivalent of the sh.

Edited by annette on 22 December 2009 at 6:11am

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 20 of 25
22 December 2009 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
I agree with the first part, about different u's, but I am starting
to think that pinyin only seems like a perfect fit because the standardized language
has been forced to align with pinyin. It is entirely possible that what is now
acceptable standard Mandarin is in fact merely a construction that was designed to be
logical and regular. I wouldn't put that past the communists. For example, several
similar but non-identical vowels may have been merged into one.

This is a very interesting question and I'm not sure what my thoughts on it are. My
initial impulse was to look towards Zhuyin Fuhao, which is now almost exclusively used
in Taiwan but was initially widespread in mainland China, too (that is, dating from
before the KMT withdrawal to Taiwan and the establishment of the PRC). Zhuyin Fuhao was
created in the early 1910's in the early days of the Republic of China. The "letters"
in Zhuyin Fuhao largely reflect the shapes of archaic characters, and the sounds of
those "letters" reflect the pronunciation of certain modern characters those archaic
characters are now found as a part of. The example I always remember is the first
letter of the Bopomofo: ㄅ or pinyin "b," which you can see reflected in the character
包 bao1, which is where it gets its pronunciation. As Zhuyin Fuhao clearly predates the
dominance of the PRC, and the ancient characters are, well, ancient, this could be
construed as an argument for the existence of modern standard Mandarin pronunciation
prior to any PRC plans.

On the other hand, maybe the Communists were just so successful in promulgating their
pinyin agenda that our modern interpretation of Zhuyin Fuhao has nothing to do with its
original form!

Who knows?

Edited by annette on 22 December 2009 at 6:56am

DavidGretzschel
Taiwan
Joined 5320 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 21 of 25
23 December 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
well, mandarin is an artificial standard language
obviously, vocals had to be merged, because the northern mouth
might be able to form different vocals than the southern.
So it had to be a compromise of different dialects. So why not simplifying it.
That`s how I would create a language for everyone in a very big country.
That`s not communism or capitalism, that`s pragmatism.
And of course not everybody is able to speak the comproomise in the same way.
In Germany, I`m from the north of it, I often barely understand someone
from Bavaria. Their ``standard German`` sounds different too.
And China is bigger, wider and more splitted than Germany.
@egill
thanks man, that`s pretty helpful

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 22 of 25
23 December 2009 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
I agree with you that Mandarin is an "artificial standard language" (insomuch that
standardized languages are to some extent artificial), but I'm curious about whether
Gusutafu's suggestion of Communist-spearheaded standardization is a viable possibility.
I really think that the process of standardization as we know it today must have
started prior to the Communists as a long-term process.

"That's not communism or capitalism, that's pragmatism."

I think Gusutafu's point in bringing into the Communists was not to ascribe an
ideological agenda to the general process of language standardization; I think he
brought in the Communists in order to situate us historically... and to bring in some
humor (I mean, language standardization isn't in itself a Communist act, but don't you
think it would be right up the CPC's alley?)... of course, I can't speak for Gusutafu,
but that was my interpretation.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 23 of 25
03 March 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
2. Retroflex consonants colour the following vowel differently
than non-retroflex consonants, but since this is
predictable and proscriptive (e.g. you can't have 'sh' followed by the 'i' in 'xi'),
there's no need to come up with two
separate spellings for those vowels.

That is exactly what I was going to say. They may not be the same phonetic vowel, but
they are the same phonologically.

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6895 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 24 of 25
03 March 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I believe I've also heard meng4 pronounced with more of an "o" sound. For most speakers, does meng4 rhyme with
feng1 or sheng1? (Or do all three rhyme?)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version