38 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 38
20 January 2010 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
MILESTONE - Completed Pimsleur German Level I.

Do they call it a "Kilometerstone" in the rest of the world? Anyway, in addition to running another 10 miles
today, I also finished up German Level I. Whoo-hoo! It is said that if I'm able to respond correctly about 80% of
the time, that I'm ready to go on to Level II. I think I'm about there. I do struggle in the production aspect,
especially on some of the stuff from the more recent lessons, but, I'm sure there'll be plenty of more repetition
ahead.

I think it's a good time to pause and take account of what I've actually learned in the last 30-or-so days. Last
month I couldn't even order a beer in German, and now I can say such things as:

-"My wife is in America because we have 75 children. 50 sons, 24 daughters, and one... I don't know. Yes,
families ARE big in America!"

-"How much for the little girl? The women, I want to buy the women!"

-"It's 106 Kilometers to Berlin, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're
wearing hats"

-"What can we do?" "What can you do? Sparta will need sons."

-"Yesterday I drank 50 liters of gasoline. It isn't enough. Today I want to drink 80 liters of gasoline. Would
you like to drink with me?"

-"Dong, where is my automobile?" "Au-to-mo-biiile!"

-Slacker
5 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 38
20 January 2010 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Quote:
BTW - has anyone ever bothered to ask a noun how it feels about being declined? I'm pretty sure the response would be startling)

Oh, indeed it is; they hate that, and they'll insist on getting their conjugal rights, like that would bring an ending to their problems. They're just jealous. Not everybody can be a verb.

This is a mighty feat you intend to do. and we will follow you with great interest.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5552 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 27 of 38
20 January 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Slacker wrote:
WEEK 2 - Pimsleur Portuguese, Level III, Lesson 8 and Pimsleur German, Level I, Lesson 28.....

......I'm over that now. Which reminds me, when the hell are you going to make
those hotel reservations?

-Slacker

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because it sure doesn't need my help, but I have to say I was reading this while taking a break while at work today. I laughed out loud, literally; people were standing up in their cubicles wanting to know what was going on. I don't care if you learn all those languages or not. Just keep writing. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6679 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 28 of 38
26 January 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
I just wanted to say that though you may be "slacker" in some aspects, it isn't in your head. You certainly have an imagination of an artist and are one hell of a creative writer.

Plus, imaginations are awesome for learning languages, but you knew that.

Also, as an aside, I would never be able to afford all those courses. So this experiment is interesting to me in the fact that you have access to all of them, via money or library or downloads or whatever.
1 person has voted this message useful

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 38
02 February 2010 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
WEEKS 3 and 4 - Pimsleur Portuguese, Level III, Lesson 30 [FINISHED!], Pimsleur German, Level II, Lesson 12, and
Dexter Seasons 1 and 2.

Hey there y'all! So last weekend... wait, not yesterday and the day before, but the previous weekend before
that, I finally bought Dexter seasons 1, 2, and 3. Why? Because I started watching this show last Fall (during the
middle of season 4) and realized its awesomeness. Long story short, I spent a LOT of hours last weekend in a
serial-killer marathon. Turns out, a lot of the time that I spent watching Dexter was time that I would have
normally spent reviewing previously done Pimsleur German lessons. Yeah, turned out that on Monday morning
all that German was starting to sound like some sort of foreign gibberish (again).

So, in an effort to make up for my previous slacking, I spent last weekend (ok, now this time I DO mean
yesterday and the day before that) going "Language Nerd Gone Wild!" on all the remaining Portuguese 3 lessons.
I have to say, I think the last dozen or so lessons were really, really, really simple. And I don't mean in the "Wow!
I must have totally mastered this language!" sort of way, but more in the "Wow! This would have really been more
appropriate in Level 1." Can anyone back me up on this one? Or was it just me.

In any case, that makes 1 down, 8 more to go! So, in addition to trying to review and re-review the German
lessons that haven't sunk in as well as I would have liked them to do with minimal effort, I'm now starting
Language 3 as of today! I wanted to pick up the pace a bit and throw more of the "Annihilation" portion into this
one, so I wanted to go more difficulter than I had planned at the outset.

MINI-CONTEST: The first person to correctly guess which of the remaining 7 languages I'm taking on next
wins a fabulous something or other! Perhaps just "props", but those can go a long way.

-Slacker

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6105 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 30 of 38
02 February 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Hobbema wrote:
Slacker wrote:
WEEK 2 - Pimsleur Portuguese, Level III, Lesson 8 and Pimsleur German,
Level I, Lesson 28.....

......I'm over that now. Which reminds me, when the hell are you going to make
those hotel reservations?

-Slacker

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because it sure doesn't need my help, but I have to say I was reading this
while taking a break while at work today. I laughed out loud, literally; people were standing up in their cubicles
wanting to know what was going on. I don't care if you learn all those languages or not. Just keep writing.
:)

Dude, you're killing me. I think I'll dig up those German Pimsleur lessons I was working on and fire up the
treadmill.

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 38
02 February 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
jimbo wrote:

Dude, you're killing me. I think I'll dig up those German Pimsleur lessons I was working on and fire up the
treadmill.

Jimbo,

Thanks for the note which reminds me: today is Tuesday, also known as "long-run" day in my (literal)
marathon training. I still need to check with my coaches: NIke+ and iPod, but I'm pretty sure they're going to tell
me that today I need to run 13 miles. I need better coaches, the kind that tell me that today I need to sit around
and eat pizza and drink Miller Genuine Draft "Light" with only 64 calories per/serving because it's "healthier".   
Oh sweet, sweet beer, why is it that you're only able to make others better looking and in better shape? Why do
you deceive me and make me think I can run a marathon while at the same time cursing me with this fatty
anchor around my torso?

Good luck on the treadmill m'man, I'll be right there with you!

-Slacker

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6105 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 32 of 38
02 February 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the inspiration. I actually got on my long-neglected treadmill and finally finished lesson 29 of Pimsleur's
German 1.

Since I'm up early, I might as well pop on the headphones and walk to work and finish lesson 30 today.

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version