pgadey
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5446 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 33 of 38
16 February 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Hey man - My room mate and I were just discussing the ins and outs of our experience with Pimsleur. He's done the Arabic, French, and Russian ones. I've done German and Russian. He got a good laugh out of your trials.

Keep it up. You can do it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4926 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 34 of 38
04 December 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I just found this thread, and now I have to know: did you make it? I mean, are you going to make it by 22 days from now? :)

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4934 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 38
04 December 2010 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Me, too. what a hoot! And encouragement not to take my studies so seriously.

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 38
04 December 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Did I make it?!?!? Short answer - YES!!! Longer answer - NO!!!

As far as the whole Pimsleur thing goes, I think I stopped listening to any of them in the early Spring (March/April?) because of excuse excuse excuse. It was a really (blank) time in my life and blah blah blah. Now, in fitness news, I not only ran my first marathon, I then went on to run an additional one in the late Summer and AGAIN in the early Fall. So, I'm kind of burnt out on that -- "Oh, ok, I'm going to show up in some city that I don't really like and come out at 5:00 a.m. (in the morning) and run or run/walk or run/vomit/hobble for the next few hours?" Fun stuff. 2011 is going to be the year of triathlons; I just need to buy a bike and learn how to swim. Now, back to languaging...

So, as we left off before the unexpected mid-season hiatus: I finished Portuguese, and then got about half-way through German. More recently (the last two months) I have finished more than half of the Russian course. I got stuck for a couple days on lesson 2.16, which went a little something like this:

Dan: Hello, Marina? This is Dan Carter! How are you?
Marina: Thanks, not bad. How you doin'?
Dan: Good, I want to invite you out tonight.
Marina: Yeah... uh... unfortunately I've already made plans with someone else.
Dan: Who is it?
Marina: It's... one of my... friends... he's also an American.
Dan: Oh... reaaallly? And, uh... so... what is his name? [note: Dan is becoming noticeably perturbed at this point, barely able to choke back his emotions.]
Marina: His name is "Bob Prince" [note: faintly audible is the sound of Marina drawing her arms, crossed, to her chest while at the same time gazing off, doe-eyed, at a picture of Bob, thumb-tacked to the cork-board above her desk. The picture, worn and faded from the sun's rays that flooded her small Moscow apartment during the lonely Summer as she waited for him to return from Boston. Just then, Marina smirks as she notices, for the first time since she pinned it there, that Bob's picture is just below, and to the left of, her fancifully-printed "To Do List" that she made shortly after Bob went back "home" in May. "Home," Marina thought to herself, "home isn't there, with "her"... it's here. With... me... здесь... со мной"
Dan: But I know him! Can we both come to visit you?
Marina: I don't think so...
Dan: Why?
Marina: Enough.

-Slacker

Edited by Slacker on 04 December 2010 at 9:26pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4926 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 37 of 38
04 December 2010 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Haha. Those Pimsleur conversations are hilarious. I especially enjoyed one of the German lessons, somewhere around lesson 10 or so, where a guy is asking a lady out for dinner, but she keeps saying no. He asks her "at 3:00?" "no, not at 3:00" "at 4:00?" "no, not at 4:00" and so on, but he doesn't get the point. Eventually she says "you don't understand." He asks "what don't I understand?" and she finishes off the lesson with "you don't understand German."

I thought about doing a triathlon, but I can't run more than a few metres without getting a cramp in my side. I love biking and swimming, though.

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 38
22 January 2011 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Well... 2010 is now past, and it looks like my lackluster performance didn't win; however, I have re-grouped and I'm
back for more in 2011! Wander on over to the TAC '11 - Return of the Slacker for at least a month/month-and-a-
half of entertainment!

-Slacker

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version