Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 1 of 30
27 December 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Note: This log contains two merged threads, the reason explained further down the
page. Please excuse any confusion.

I feel if I keep an open log where others can read my progress, I will be less likely
to become lazy and stop studying. I have been studying Italian on and off for about a
year now, but now I am going to make it a regularly scheduled part of my day. Right now
I am on Christmas break from university, so I can use this time to get some serious
foundation studying done. Once school resumes, I'll choose the best time throughout the
day for an hour of daily review.

I learnt French in junior high and high school through the immersion programme. I also
have done two semesters of Latin last year. I don't plan to continue studying Latin any
time soon, but I think what I have learnt will indeed help with studying Italian. I am
taking Spanish in university right now, possibly doing the certificate programme
(similar to a minor). I know it is sometimes unwise to study two languages at one time.
However the class room pace of Spanish is slow, and I can differentiate between the two
where one is my "school language" and the other is my "hobby language".

Materials:
Barron's Self-Study Language Course: Italian
I've already started this and I am on lesson 3. I think it will be good to learn some
basics, but I know it won't be sufficient. I will likely buy the Pimsleur series this
summer.

Let's Talk: Introduction to Italian
A cheap set of 3 CDs that I received for my birthday. Not my main method, but great for
the hour long bus ride into the city each morning for school when I'm half asleep!

Collins Italian-English, English-Italian Dictionary
Not very big but I doubt that anytime soon I'll need to look up the names of airplane
engine parts or Italian spellings of Chinese provinces!

I have also completed this online course offered by the BBC. It was good for learning
words but not the language. Not bad for free though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/

I intended to have regular updates in this log, and I welcome any comments!

Edited by canada38 on 31 January 2010 at 7:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6594 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 30
27 December 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with Italian! You already have me beat, I'm only into my fifth month. But I've used Pimsleur and some other resources, see my log if you want my take on those.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 3 of 30
27 December 2009 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Best of luck with Italian! I did the BBC course too, and I completely agree with you, besides the vocab it was pretty much useless. Pimsleur was a big help to me, though – I did all three levels and would recommend it. I've done a good part of the old yellow-cover "Teach Yourself Italian" by Kathleen Speight, and it was my favorite resource so far, if you're interested in a more reading/writing-based approach.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 4 of 30
28 December 2009 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the good luck wishes!

After reading what both of you have said, and from lots of other threads in the forum, it
seems that Pimsleur is the way to go. I think I will try it once I finish the course that
I am doing now.

I forgot to mention that I have a friend from Italy sending me a novel. I'm not sure of
the title though, but it should arrive soon. Once I get a solid base so that I don't have
to look up every other word, I will try to get through this book without too much use of
a dictionary. I think this novel along with perhaps a grammar book will make up for where
Pimsleur is lacking.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 5 of 30
14 January 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Hey Canada, what's up?

I'd love to see a status update.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 6 of 30
15 January 2010 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Hey Canada, what's up?

I'd love to see a status update.

Sprachprofi,

I renamed this thread a while ago to include TAC 2010 but then it wouldn't appear on the
forum, so I started another thread instead. I see this one works now, and since the other
hasn't received any replies, I think I should move everything to this one to avoid any
confusion! Everything in the following three posts will be dated to when they were
originally posted. Please excuse any repetitions or confusion.

Edited by canada38 on 15 January 2010 at 1:56am

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 7 of 30
15 January 2010 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
----- 03 January 2010 at 2:17am -----

After reading lots of posts about the Total Annihilation Challenge, I decided I would
rather "take part" than just simply post a
log about my progress in Italian. Note: Some of this will be a repeat of my brief
Italian Log, which seems to have been deleted
when I renamed it with TAC 2010 in the subject. I can only access it by going to my
profile and looking at all my posts.
Regardless, I will post here from now on.

So here it goes!

Italian - Hobby Language
I've wanted to learn Italian ever since I visited Italy in 2006. I've made a few
haphazard efforts to study the language, but I
usually got distracted. Sometimes these distractions came from pure laziness, but some
of them were because of school. I also
moved to another province for a short while, which was a bit of an interruption. Now I
think I am ready for some serious study.
I have completed this free course offered by the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/ I recommend it for anyone wishing
to flirt with the language without making a monetary investment.

Materials
Pimsleur Comprehensive Italian I, II & III (Yup, I got all three)
Barron's Beginner's Self-Study Language Course: Italian (Study and work book, audio
scripts and grammar review book, 3
instructional CD's and 1 take along CD for the car)
Let's Talk Introduction to Italian (3 Audio CD's)
Collins Italian-English English Italian Dictionary (70 000 translations)

Method
I plan to use the Pimsleur series as my main method. I am very busy with school and
other commitments, so I think this method
will work well for me. I am not implying that Dr. Pimsleur will do the work for me.
However, there are a little over 100 days in
the semester (I think); I plan to get levels I and II (60 lessons) completed during
this time. This will give me some extra time
to make sure I really understand the content, repeat lessons, miss a day if necessary
and maintain a social life (and some
sanity). I will finish the rest during summer vacation (starting in May).
The Barron's course seems good to me, but I have lost interest in it twice before. I
still plan to complete this course (I have
already made some progress again), but it will be my secondary approach. One benefit is
that it will teach me some written
Italian.
The Let's Talk Introduction is a $10 set I got for my birthday. I have done some
lessons and it isn't bad. You get what you pay
for though, so you can't learn a language just from this. I plan to listen to these
CD's on the way to school each morning. So
far, it is great.

Spanish - School Language
At first I decided to study this language because I figured it would be an easy
elective course in university because I speak
French and I have done two semesters of Latin. I was right, it is really easy (at the
beginning at least). By mid October, I
started to like the language (semester started early September). Now I intend to
complete the certificate programme in Spanish
in addition to a B.Sc. in Chemistry. I just completed the first semester of Spanish and
got an A-.

Materials
¡Hola Amigos! 1st Canadian Edition
I like this text book so far. I think it is a great introduction to the language. It
contains all the important facts without
being boring, and it is "fun" without making the student do pointless game exercises.

Method
University course, likely some independent study in the summer to maintain what I am
learning right now.

This is about all I can handle for now, but in summer vacation (May - August) I can try
something new. I will likely study
either Catalan or German. I am more interested in Catalan than German, but it might be
counter productive to study
this language until I have reached at least basic fluency in both Spanish and Italian.
I got a Pimsleur Basic German course for
$2 at a book sale, so maybe I'll give that a try. This part isn't set in stone though
(unless someone is trying to create a
Neolithic style Internet archive somewhere!), so it all could change. During this time
I will choose my language plan for next
September.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 8 of 30
15 January 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
-----04 January 2010 at 1:25am-----
Escribo en el castellano porque yo voy a la clase de universidad esto miércoles. Yo no
hablo por un mes, pero leí un periódico. Traduzco las palabras del castellano al inglés.
Necesito un café, hasta luego.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version