TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5987 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 105 of 119
11 December 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Yesterday morning I sat the oral section of the DALF C1 exam. Before the exam this week
I had done about 5 practice run throughs of an exam situation, meaning that I gave
myself an hour of preparation and then I did a run through with a video. I have also
been exposed to hundreds of hours of podcasts over the past few months. The programs I
listen to are from reputable radio stations which use a certain level of academic
speech and as a result I think I picked up an element of this when I have to speak on a
subject in an exam like situation. What was surprising when I made the videos is that I
was drawing on vocabulary I didn't know I had and I felt comfortable that I was ready
for the exam.

Day of exam.
Was sat in a room with two others and were shown briefly topics of texts to choose from
individually. I would have like to have had more time to choose the text but we pretty
much had to choose from the title. I chose a topic on the increasing ability for us to
change careers and the tendency for people not to remain faithful to their employers. I
wasn't that happy with my choice, however I was kind of able to draw some conclusions
or a problematic from the texts. I chose a plan of Thesis/Antithesis/Summary to tackle
the issue.

We were given 10 minutes more than 60 minutes to prepare, I don't know why but it was
completely ok with me. Was brought up to the examination to find only two examiners
instead of 3, I was also surprised to find out that I was sitting instead of standing.
I introduced myself and started my speech. I quickly realised that the examiners
wouldn't be giving me much eye contact, they were scribbling notes throughout and I was
initially put off by this. The first 2-3 minutes were quite nerve wracking and I did
hit a mental blank. I also started using weird vocabulary which I didn't really plan
to use. I did pull it together and my speech became more fluid. As I wasn't getting
much eye contact I looked out the window whilst speaking occasionally...hehe. I think
I spoke for at least 13-15 minutes, I have no idea but I did carry on a little.

Next we had the debate. I could have taken the role of a debate more seriously. They
asked a lot of questions about my country compared to France and I had trouble pointing
out the differences, not based on a language level though. The examiners it seemed were
like a good cop bad cop situation, one more smiley, the other ruthlessly cold. After 8-
10 minutes of this I was told it was finished said thankyou and left.

I was very happy coming out of the exam. After a little reflection it occurred to me
that I should have taken a firm position and defended it in regards to the argument. I
pretty much didn't take a strong position. I should have treated the questions as a
debate and led the examiners in this way, as it was I was simply answering questions
and giving a personal opinion. But it terms of my language I think it went quite well.
So for this section out of 25 I predict 14-17/25.

Predicitions
18-21/25 - Listening
18-21/25 - Reading
13-17/25 - Writing
14-17/25 - Spoken

My predicted result out of 100: (which I will know in January)
63-76/100

Thankyou one and all. Now I can get back to a normal life. What do I do now?

Edited by Adrean on 11 December 2010 at 9:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5223 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 107 of 119
13 December 2010 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Hi guys!! First time I post here... I always wanted to know how the DALF exam worked... since I'm French I wont tackle it... Adrian, the oral part seems really stressful according to what you said... Now what, you said... Well, just take some rest and wait for the results... But why not trying the C2 level??? I'm here to help btw... so, keep up with french !!
Do I have the right to write in french in this thread?? Just wondering....

Edited by polyglossia on 13 December 2010 at 12:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 108 of 119
13 December 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
I just found this log and read the whole thing, well done! I was unsure of the differences between B2 and C1, and looks like the C1 is a fair bit more difficult and takes a lot more time to reach, maybe my goal of obtaining C1 next year is a bit unrealistic unless I spend a significant amount of time in France. I'll probably just aim for B2 until I do my season in the Alps (it will happen at some point!).

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5987 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 109 of 119
14 December 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Buttons wrote:
So what to do now... Level C2 French??? Start learning German???

polyglossia wrote:
But why not trying the C2 level??? I'm here to help btw... so, keep
up with french !!
Do I have the right to write in french in this thread?? Just wondering....

There is absolutely no way I will be sitting the C2 exam in the near future. If somehow
I pass like 5 years in a Francaphone country I might consider it. For me getting a C2
is like speaking like a native. I don't think my brain will ever reach that point. @
Polyglossia,feel free to write in French, it would be most welcome.

What's next? Possibilities are German, Spanish or Russian. Russian because I will soon
have a Russian sister in law and I realize how widely spread the language is used in
Eastern Europe beyond the borders of Russia. First choice is German, I love the
language, and Spanish because it's very useful but I don't like it too much. I won't be
starting any second language till February next year and even then I won't make a big
commitment.

garyb wrote:
looks like the C1 is a fair bit more difficult and takes a lot more time
to reach, maybe my goal of obtaining C1 next year is a bit unrealistic unless I spend a
significant amount of time in France. I'll probably just aim for B2 until I do my
season in the Alps (it will happen at some point!).

I wouldn't want to discourage you. There are those who go for the C2 exam after three
months of study, I won't mention any names. It could be a great goal to work towards
next year. My original goal for this year was the B2 exam, but I aimed a little higher.
And the Alps is a fantastic place to study. The best thing I've ever done.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5375 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 110 of 119
14 December 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Adrean wrote:
They asked a lot of questions about my country compared to France and I had trouble pointing out the differences, not based on a language level though.

I feel for you in this situation, Adrean. The oral sounded like you were up against a panel of the "Knights Who Say 'Ni'"...I hope you appeased them with a shubbery. ;)

All joking aside though, I hope you ace this thing with a flying red, white and blue, and thanks once again for giving us an inside view into the DALF C1 exam and all the prep that's needed beforehand.

Edited by Teango on 14 December 2010 at 9:42pm

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5223 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 112 of 119
15 December 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Salut Adrean :

comme je ne sais pas si tu as lu le post relatif à ce site, je te mets l'adresse:

http://www.webcef.eu/?q=node/293

Il y a là une vidéo d'une candidate (au DALF???) qui obtient un score équivalent à C1... A l'écouter parler, il me semble qu'elle est néerlandaise, mais je ne pourrais pas le jurer.. peut-être belge flamande...

mon avis: elle se débrouille très bien... effectivement, je ne lui donnerais peut-être pas C2 mais au moins C1+ !!! C'est vrai qu'elle a un avantage: en tant que flamande ou néerlandaise d'origine, elle a l' accent "belge"... les français sont habitués à cet accent, comme ils sont habitués à l'accent suisse ou à l'accent québécois... donc, quand elle parle, elle n'est pas considérée comme "étrangère" au sens de (non native born speaker)... maintenant, il est certain que le débit n'est pas forcément très rapide, mais je connais des français qui ne parleraient pas plus vite!!

Maintenant, si tu veux m'envoyer une vidéo de toi en train de décrire une image ou une vidéo, je pourrais te dire quel est ton niveau, en plus c'est un excellent exercice.... ou bien un texte à corriger sur un sujet donné...

exemple de sujet : "pourquoi les langues sont elles une priorité pour vous? " ( :D )
(400 mots minimum) !!

Good luck with that!!!

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version