Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
55 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 17 of 55
04 February 2010 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Go you!

Yes, definitely understandable. The typical term used for cookie is "kekso" (German root) or sometimes "kuketo", though that could also be a muffin or the like.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 18 of 55
04 February 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
:) Thanks Sprachprofi! I guess I am still a little unreasonably nervous about the affix system. ^_^;

I still don't know very many words for foods, so they present an especially good opportunity to practice describing
things!

I forgot to mention in my last update- I now have the entire audio of Gerda Malaperis on my iPod, and I listen to it
on bus rides. This is helping me a lot.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 19 of 55
26 February 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Well, its been a long time so I figured I ought to check in here again!

I had to take about a week off from actively studying, due to a crisis, but I kept on doing a few passive reading
and listening things even then, and right now I am back on track with my active studies.

I'm excited to say that my reading and listening comprehension in Esperanto has skyrocketed! While I still can't
speak or write in it very well, I can understand at least 85% of what I read, often closer to 95%, and about 70% of
what I hear. I've taken to listening to the same episode of Radio Verda over and over again until I can make out
most of it- when I do this, I can get up to about 90% comprehension, so clearly there's no obstacle in terms of
vocabulary or grammar, just my listening ability.
Since I've achieved this high level of understanding, I now have switched my studies over to almost exclusively
reading blogs, forums, etc. and listening to whatever audio I can get my hands on. When I encounter new words,
I look them up in the dictionary, but I am not actively studying vocabulary. If I find I'm not absorbing new words
that well, I may start drilling lists of new words I find, though- we'll see.

To improve my writing, I've decided to take up working on Esperanto Wikipedia. I've been a Wikimedian for many
years (operating primarily on Wikiversity, but sometimes on Commons or Wikipedia) so it's a project that appeals
to me, and it offers more opportunity for variety and correction than lang-8 does (where there is one person who
corrects me very well and almost no other commenters at all). Eo wiki says right up front that they welcome
even komencantoj with very limited grasps of Esperanto, so my mistakes shouldn't upset anyone (I hope).

Japanese isn't progressing nearly as well, but I'm still pleased with my progress. I find I can now understand
about 65% of what's said in the average drama (I just finished watching Zettai Kareshi yesterday!). I'm especially
pleased that words which I had a lot of trouble remembering from my vocabulary studies are now firmly
cemented in my brain since I have heard them said repeatedly now, such as 責任、参加する、喜ぶ、and 頼む.
I still haven't purchased a skritter pro account, so I haven't made any progress on kanji- I'm still hovering
around 290 or so of them. However, I should have some money soon so I will be starting that again.

One place I'm still lacking in Japanese is regular reading practice. This is going to be hard to solve, though,
since I need something with lower intermediate-level vocabulary and not a lot of kanji. Any suggestions would
be more than welcome since I really don't even know where to look!

Ĝis revido! 頑張ります!

genini1
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 20 of 55
26 February 2010 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
If your looking for easy books in Japanese you could check your local library, usually the selection isn't great but most of them contain at least one children's book in a dozen major languages.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 21 of 55
13 March 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's been three weeks so I'm updating here again.

I seem to be having a problem with the forum's notifications- while I still get e-mails about replies to some
threads, I haven't gotten any from my own thread or my team mates' threads, and some other threads I watch,
even though I know they've been replied to. I don't know what could cause that.

Anyway, I'm still making steady progress in both my languages. Although my studying is a bit more sporadic, I
still can see myself progressing each time I do it. I finished the fourth step of the Core 2000 vocabulary list on
Smart.FM, and am 78% of the way through the fifth step. I'll be starting the sixth soon. When the fifth one is
finished, that will mean I have studied the first thousand most common words in Japanese- and while I have not
fully learned all of those, I have fully learned most of them. I'm working on thinking up a good way to go back
and firmly cement the ones I still have trouble with, but I am not sure when I'll get around to doing that.

For now, I am continuing to do pretty much nothing but studying vocab in Japanese. I plan to wait until summer
begins before I add more grammar and kanji study to my schedule, and after finishing the Core 2000 series I'll
stop studying vocabulary at all until I've met my goal of learning 2000+ kanji. Then I'll be able to do a lot more
reading so I'll start a more balanced study schedule, doing a little of everything.

Esperanto isn't progressing as rapidly for me anymore as it was for a while. I feel a little bit unhappy with my
knowledge of eo right now; even though I can understand quite a lot, I feel like my learning of this language has
been rushed, sloppy, and disorderly, and I think I need to go back to the beginning and really drill the basics
into my brain to give myself a more solid base to work from. In addition to doing this, I'm going to try to listen
to as much eo as possible; hopefully the increased input will help my brain organize things correctly.

Right now, my biggest problem (other than time) is that I'm really itching to try other languages. I had planned
to sample some other languages come summer, but I don't want to wait! I'm most excited about Mandarin, right
now, although I also really want to try German and to take up my old French studies again. However, I don't
want to take away from my Japanese and Esperanto studies! I may have a look through Mandarin resources
when I have the time, and try just dabbling in it a bit in the hopes that it will help me lose interest; but it could
have the opposite effect and encourage my interest. If I had more time, that would be fine, but I'm not sure I
want to risk it now.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 22 of 55
21 March 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Just a short update since I have little to report.

Still haven't bought a Skritter account because my mom refuses to sit down and talk to me about buying things,
and right now I still have to rely on her for funds. :/

Still plodding along with Smart.FM, should be finishing Step 5 in a few days and am almost halfway through Step
6, which means I'll be starting Step 7 soon... I like to have them overlap somewhat. I've gotten into a rhythm of
sorts with this tool, now that I'm used to using it I seem to get more out of it than before.

Not really doing any Esperanto lately except a little listening or reading here and there. I did pass the Lernu
Level A exam recently though, which is nice. However, doing that test rammed home for me that I really don't
understand the grammar as well as I had thought and definitely need to do something like sentence drilling or
grammar exercises to help me internalize it.

That's about it for this past week.

global_gizzy
United States
maxcollege.blogspot.
Joined 5514 days ago

275 posts - 310 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 55
23 March 2010 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Keep it up Luai! I know you can do it. I'm sorry to hear about the bad-incident, hope things are going well now, or atleast getting better.

I'm glad that you're progressing in Esperanto. I definitely want to get back into studying it but I dont know when I will be able to do so.

Right now I've got my hands full with Spanish and Japanese (or the thought of Japanese) *sigh*

Reading your log makes me feel better though, that someone out there is struggling and perservering anyway so that maybe I can to :).

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 24 of 55
23 March 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Don't give up, gizzy! You can definitely do it! It's hard work, but just managing to do a little bit every day (or every
other day, or whatever you can fit) you will slowly progress! :)

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version