United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 41 of 55
20 June 2010 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
RTK is going well. I've done 70 kanji now, and the skritter + kanji.koohii thing seems to be working, although
it's only been three days so it may not hold up, we'll see. I'm doing a lesson every day. I try to do them in two
batches so I don't get overloaded and forget the first ones I looked at.

RTK: 70 kanji
Smart.FM: step 8 80% done
FIA: finished ep. 4

I've not been using my time well at all lately, so I'm going to try to work on that and hopefully I'll be able to work
on adding the other things I want to do every day since right now it's only the above three things. I want to also
read some of Fajron Sentas Mi Interne every day, study French and Japanese grammar every day, and so forth. I
know I am capable of doing all that without taking too much time out of my day, but I've been too disorganized
lately. I will work on this.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 42 of 55
02 July 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Getting a bit better at fitting it all in every day, although my plans are continuously foiled by things like my
grandma visiting or needing to change which day my D&D group meets because someone can't make it on our
usual day, etc.

RTK: 212 kanji
Smart.FM step 8 100% done, step 9 50%
FIA: finished ep. 6
Fajron Sentas Mi Interne: page 23

As you can see, I'm making good progress in Japanese but not at all in French. I've prioritized Japanese over
French so when my time is limited it's French that ends up not happening. I'm going to work on ensuring that I
can do FIA and RTK every single day. I also seriously need to sit down and study French verbs. I already know a
lot about how they conjugate but I'm terrible at actually doing it, so I'm going to try writing out tables. It's
boring but writing things out like this often helps me improve pretty dramatically, so I hope it will work.

I've started talking to myself in Esperanto (having conversations where I play both sides) when I'm bored. It's
good speaking practice considering there's no one here for me to speak it with. I seem to be getting a little
faster; I used to have to speak very slowly to give myself time to think it all through.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 43 of 55
22 August 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Well, it's been a loooong time. I have a pretty big update.

About a week after my last post, I stopped studying alltogether. I had a major depressive episode and lost
interest in languages. After recovering from the episode, I found my interest had not returned. I no longer
derived any pleasure from even the idea of knowing Japanese. I weighed the pros and cons and ended up
deciding not to force myself to study something if I had no interest in it any more. I would begin studying again
if and when my interest returned.

I didn't avoid the languages, though, so I did still do a bit of reading here and there in both Japanese and
Esperanto, whenever something would come up on a website or Facebook, etc, and I continued to watch anime.

My interest only suddenly returned yesterday. I officially picked up my studies again today. I've decided to re-
read all the lessons of RTK I've already done, as a review for all the kanji I did not study while I was
disinterested. So far I'm at kanji #75. I also started up Smart.FM again and reviewed 50 out of 90 expired items.
Lastly, I picked up Genki 2 and did quite a bit of grammar study.

It feels good to have the language buzzing around in my head again! I only hope I can continue enjoying it.

On that note, I'm also taking a hiatus from French until I can figure out how to approach it. Everything I've tried
so far has just not worked for me. I found both Pimsleur and FIA to be frustrating, boring, and not effective at
teaching grammar. The idea I'm toying with now is to sit down and read my grammar book straight through, and
go straight to L/R after that (after all, I have enough passive knowledge of French vocabulary to get the gist of
anything I read in French already!). However, I haven't been able to find a good audiobook download for free.
I'd like to use Le Petit Prince, which I expected to find easily, but my google-fu has failed me, sadly. :(

I currently have no particular plans for Esperanto. The friend who introduced me to it is back in town, but I've
been unable to meet with her. I have no idea when she's returning to Mexico, so I don't know if I'll ever get to sit
down with her.
I think I'll ask her if she uses Skype.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 44 of 55
06 September 2010 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
I got a job! This is great news for my wallet and terrible news for my language
studies as I now come home in the late afternoon feeling too tired for cerebral
pursuits. It seems to be getting a little better as I adapt to the situation, though.
As of today, I'm very close to completing Core 2000 step 9, and have completed my
review of the 308 kanji I had learned so far from RTK. I will begin learning new kanji
shortly (later today if I'm up to it; if not, then tomorrow).

I also got a new book out of the library that I absolutely love. I've been
disappointed in most language books I've tried but this one is really working out well
for me. It's called "Handbook of Japanese Grammar" by Masahiro Tanimori, and among its
features is a dictionary of "grammar words" which I am finding a very useful way of
learning a lot of new grammatical structures. I've been reading it and practicing
kanji handwriting during my lunch breaks at work.

Still no idea what to do about French and Esperanto... because I'm just too lazy to
sit down and work it out. I'll try to tackle that by next weekend.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 45 of 55
30 September 2010 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
I've worked out an evening study schedule that is doing wonders for my progress in Japanese! After dinner, I do
a first round of kanji study, learning 20-30 new kanji and writing them out in a notebook. Then I watch an
episode of an anime show (currently I'm watching Naruto, which started just so I could understand the references
to it in American "otaku" culture, but now I actually like the show), paying close attention to catching every word.
I usually knit or pin garments that I'm working on (I'm also a seamstress) while I watch- yay for multitasking!
After the episode, I go to Skritter and review the kanji I just learned (and any old ones that are due). I find this is
a good amount of time after which to reinforce my studies. After that, I study a second round of kanji (10-20
this time) and repeat the process. I usually stop after that but if I'm very enthused and/or start early I can
manage more. I usually do my Smart.FM reps earlier in the day.

My stats as of now:
Smart.FM core 2000 step 10: 54% completed
Heisig's RTK: Kanji #450

At a rate of 30-40 kanji per day, I'm definitely going to be able to reach my goal of finishing them before the new
year begins! :D Also, I should finish the core 2000 series in less than a month- which will be the second
language goal I can tick off my list! (the first was being able to express myself comfortably and fluently in
written Esperanto) Well, it might be the third if finishing Gerda Malaperis! counts. >.>

I still haven't devoted much time to planning my new approach to French. I kind of want to just read straight
through my grammar book and dive into L/R, but I don't think I'll have time for that, since L/R is VERY time
consuming. I might be able to swing reading parallel texts though. Anyway, at the moment I really am enjoying
pursuing nothing but Japanese, so I'm letting myself ignore French for a little longer.

Now I'm off to finish today's kanji! I've only done 20 so far. :3 I'll report back in a week or two.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 46 of 55
09 October 2010 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Missed several days of kanji/Smart.FM but trying not to stress it, I just had a very hectic week and my weekend is
also going to be packed tight, so I will just try to keep up my reps and get back to adding new things when life
calms down a bit.

However, something new and exciting has started. Last Tuesday I met with my old Sensei from high school and
two of my old classmates for a review session. She told us that in exchange for babysitting she would give us a
free lesson every Tuesday. She has exceptionally well-behaved kids so this is a pretty sweet deal, not to mention
she is a phenomenal cook and naturally, being very compassionate, polite, and Japanese, she cooks food for us
whenever we are at her house! Today I went to babysit for the first time, and she made me delicious vegetarian
spring rolls and sushi, and a whole cheesecake. It was sooooooo good. And then I got to watch AstroBoy with
her kids. Basically it was awesome. I didn't get much opportunity to practice Japanese except overhearing her
talking to her kids, but that's ok, we'll have another review session next Tuesday.

The last review session was really good for me! Basically I confirmed what I already knew: My passive
understanding has skyrocketed, to the point that I understand nearly all basic conversation, but my ability to
produce sentences is sucky, mostly on the grammar end of things. I'm still kicking myself for saying "mitte ni
iku" instead of "mi ni iku", I KNEW it was wrong but I just couldn't remember to use the stem. >.<; Anyway she's
doing the review in the form of conversation with each student in turn, so I get a chance to actually converse and
speak, which is what I sorely need right now.

And now I'd like to take a minute to describe what happened today in more detail, even though it's not language
related. My Sensei's family is really interesting- she is Japanese, with dual Japanese-American citizenship, and
her husband is American but speaks Japanese well. They have one biological son, Seiji, and an adopted daughter
from China, Megumi, and an adopted daughter from Ethiopia, Sapphire. All three are bilingual in Japanese and
English. Everyone in the family sort of naturally switches between the two languages regularly, which is fun to
listen to.
We watched AstroBoy in English- I get the feeling most media is consumed in this language in the household-
and didn't talk at all so there was no practicing. But halfway through, Sapphire (who is five) started crying and
saying she wanted her mom. Now, a lot of kids get upset when their parents leave, but apparently (according to
her mom) Sapphire often gets triggered by upsetting things in movies, and connects them to traumatic events in
her past (which led to her being adopted, if you get my drift). This led to me having a really interesting
conversation later with my Sensei about what it's like for her, being a minority in this country but having grown
up being in the majority in her country, raising a girl from a totally different minority group, and trying to help
her form her identity in a healthy way. We talked about how often there are no or very few minority characters in
media, and what kind of effect that has on kids. We also talked about the effect on Sapphire of her own family
members all being visibly different from her. It's a very serious issue, and I'm glad that it's something her mom
puts a lot of thought into.

I also talked to her and her husband a lot about sciencey stuff, mostly neutrinos, dark matter, and Bose-Einstein
Condensates (they're my favorite) and about travel. It was fun. :)

Tomorrow I am doing volunteer work setting up a haunted house for charity, followed by a birthday party; then
Sunday I have to go shopping for sewing supplies in the morning followed by dinner with my boyfriend's family.
I have too much going on in my life.... but it's a good kind of busy, and I'm happy. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5647 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 47 of 55
21 November 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Time for an update!

I'm still not really doing kanji at all. Every now and then I do a few cards of review on Reviewing the Kanji or
Skritter but I only get through 50 or so before stopping, and I have about 200 that I have forgotten. X(
I'm really really close to finishing the Smart.FM core 2000 series, probably only two sessions away from being
done, but lately I only bother to do a session a week or so.

I'm hoping I can get myself back on track this week. Things broke down recently due to the combination of
getting used to my job, and the pressure to finish a lot of stuff before the Harry Potter movie came out. It
premiered on Friday and I made costumes for myself and two friends, as well as baking pumpkin pasties and
cauldron cakes, because I am a HUGE nerd. The prep didn't leave me a lot of time or energy for studying. Now
that it's behind me, I can put my studies back up to #1 priority status.

This is especially true because I have found out that I will need to take a Japanese placement test in the spring to
see whether I start out in Japanese 3, Japanese 101, or Japanese 401. I honestly believe I can manage to bypass
the first two, if I study in the right ways. I'm going to do a review of Genki 1, which I expect to go quickly since
the only things I've forgotten from it are kanji and perhaps a few words; then I'll work the rest of the way through
Genki 2. If I finish both of those on time, that in itself should be enough to take me to Japanese 401. My only
real concerns here are knowing the right kanji and not failing spectacularly at the spoken part of the test.

The review sessions with my sensei should help with the latter part of that. We've had to skip some of them, but
the ones I have gotten to do have helped a lot. I make a ton of mistakes and I get very anxious, but when I get
home later I find all the things I couldn't remember come rushing back to me. My hope is that as I go on, I'll be
able to remember more and more- that is, to activate my vocab.

Last time, in our conversation we ended up talking about esperanto, and my sensei asked me to say something
in it. Switching languages like that was very challenging. If I had to put the feeling in words, I'd say my thoughts
felt like they were bogged down- like slogging through molasses. I ended up switching from Japanese to English
to Esperanto to Japanese in the course of a few minutes, and the interference between the three was immense. It
was somehow kind of fun though. I tend to like challenges.

I recently watched an episode of Durarara!! (my current obsession) in the raw, without subs, and found
something interesting. I could understand enough to follow most of what was going on, some parts more than
others, and the main obstacle was definitely vocab, not grammar at all. There were a few places where verb
endings tripped me up but really, that was rare. I would say I understood the complete sentence about 30% of
the time; missed only one or two words 20% of the time; and completely failed to understand the sentence about
30% of the time. This is definitely an improvement. I plan to rewatch the whole series without subs (it's one of
few that I feel I would enjoy even without subs) and possibly rewatch the first episode over and over until I
memorize it.

As for Esperanto, it always feels like it goes for months without changing and then suddenly, for no apparent
reason, drastically improves. I was reading Libera Folio today and found I could understand it almost perfectly, a
big improvement over the last time I read one of their articles. I think this most recent leap occurred about a
week ago; since then, I've enjoyed eo media a lot more and have been reading much more in eo for fun instead of
for study. I may even have a go at a novel again!

(p.s. I have seen that people are wrapping up the Team TAC logging.... I will post a sort of "final post" describing
my progress over the year, but I will wait until mid-December to post it. I still have a little time left!)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6289 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 48 of 55
21 November 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Way to go!

By the way, how is your spoken or written Esperanto? Have you practiced much? Are you
planning to go to an event?

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version