Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 73 of 100
06 March 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
LOL I was wondering what the vote was for! :)

Yeah, I did take it as a compliment - albeit an angry one - but it just threw me off so much when it happened. I could not believe the situation! Haha

It's a positive thing, for sure... but still probably not the best way you'd like to experience it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 74 of 100
08 March 2010 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Yay! My Hungarian grammar book arrived today! :) I'm so excited! Off now to check it out!!!

BTW I'll be writing a report on here of my language escapades shortly, hopefully tonight :)

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 75 of 100
08 March 2010 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Katie this is a very impressive log and I think that you are doing fantastic with such a hard
language such as Hungarian. It seems like you really enjoy it and you are very brave for
taking the step to move to Hungary. I admire you for making such a large decision and
sticking with it. I see you are also studying German! I wish you great luck with that and i
will be keeping up with your logs :D.

And another thing, why don't you just write a litte in Hungarian in your log everyday? I
write a little in German everyday. It helps me a lot because not only can I get it corrected,
but it is killing two birds with one stone by writing in my log AND getting some language
writing done as well!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 76 of 100
08 March 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
Hi ruskivyetr! WOW! Thanks for your encouragement! :)

I can honestly say that I really do enjoy learning Hungarian. I think apart from my reasons for this particular language, it also has a lot to do with the fact that, ever since I was a small child, I always dreamed of being able to speak another language - and now I can, so it makes it even more exciting for me!

German is a very new addition to my language learning, and I'm still overcoming some hurdles with 'sharing' my time available between the two languages. But I'm confident I will get past these hurdles in the near future and I'm looking forward to working to a high level of fluency with German awell! :)

To be honest, I haven't really worried about posting anything in Hungarian because I don't think there are many people here who are native Hungarians (I don't know of any at all, but please let me know if you are or you could help!). I only know of 1 or 2 other people studying the language here! I get a lot of language practice in via Skype, with my friends, etc... but I'd be happy to write here too if there's anyone who can correct me! :) German, on the other hand, will be much more enticing to write here (once I can actually write something of use! LOL), as I know there are many people who can help me out :)

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 77 of 100
08 March 2010 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
Hi ruskivyetr! WOW! Thanks for your encouragement! :)

I can honestly say that I really do enjoy learning Hungarian. I think apart from my
reasons for this particular language, it also has a lot to do with the fact that, ever since
I was a small child, I always dreamed of being able to speak another language - and
now I can, so it makes it even more exciting for me!

German is a very new addition to my language learning, and I'm still overcoming some
hurdles with 'sharing' my time available between the two languages. But I'm confident I
will get past these hurdles in the near future and I'm looking forward to working to a
high level of fluency with German awell! :)

To be honest, I haven't really worried about posting anything in Hungarian because I
don't think there are many people here who are native Hungarians (I don't know of any
at all, but please let me know if you are or you could help!). I only know of 1 or 2 other
people studying the language here! I get a lot of language practice in via Skype, with
my friends, etc... but I'd be happy to write here too if there's anyone who can correct
me! :) German, on the other hand, will be much more enticing to write here (once I can
actually write something of use! LOL), as I know there are many people who can help
me out :)

I'm sure you'll do just FINE with German :). Once you get the certain grammatical
nuances that excape some people it's a piece of cake. And trust me, it's much easier
than Hungarian case wise :O, hehe!. FSI is REALLY good it really improved my German,
and it's not too much of a drag to start off with unless you push yourself. It gets
boring, but unlike with a difficult language such as Hungarian, you will find that your
proficiency in German will rise higher, so around the 5th or 6th lesson in FSI you will
find that you can start passive learning. However, I did have the advantage of being
partially bilingual with German, but most of my compliments towards FSI are from the
observation of other people completing the first volume with a relatively high
proficiency.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 08 March 2010 at 5:12am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5931 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 78 of 100
09 March 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
To be honest, I haven't really worried about posting anything in Hungarian because I don't think there are many people here who are native Hungarians (I don't know of any at all, but please let me know if you are or you could help!). I only know of 1 or 2 other people studying the language here!

Well HERE is the forum's official list of all members who speak or study Hungarian, listed in order of proficiency. Does that help?

I also think it would be interesting for you to write in Hungarian a bit, just so that all of us who don't speak it at all can just gaze at it wondrously having absolutely no idea of what it means (just like many people do with Chinese/Japanese characters). Okay, that sounded weird, but I think the point was understandable. :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 79 of 100
09 March 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
- March 9, 2010

I've really been struggling with time at the moment. It's been really busy and I've been tired and I've been a little sick too. Time to get back into things!

German

Sadly, my German has suffered the most in the last week or so. Actually sitting down to the books hasn't really been happening.

But, tomorrow is a new day and I look forward to making a concerted effort to get back into things. I'm afraid a review may be necessary after the time I've had of doing next to nothing...

Hungarian

Apart from a bit of a DVD here and there, some chatting on the computer and talking to my friends a little, there hasn't been much done by way of Hungarian either.

It seems at the moment, that by the time I get home in the evening, I don't have more than 10 to 15 minutes of brain power left in me. I can't even watch a DVD (English, Hungarian OR German), I'm so tired. And the days have been taken up with work stuff and other 'stuff' (you know what I mean, the stuff that seems very important at the time, but you have no idea what it actually is).

I hope to write a more positive log next time! I do NOT like knowing that I've wasted this much time!!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 80 of 100
11 March 2010 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
March 10-11, 2010

German

I have really lost steam with German, unfortunately, I think due to having about a week where I've done barely anything. I have to make a concerted effort to do even 30 minutes a day!

I'm currently working on Chapter 6 of Teach Yourself. I haven't moved any further with Michel Thomas. I'm not sure what to do with this, actually. I feel as though unless I can dedicate a good few hours in a block to work through Michel Thomas, it's not working. It's difficult for me to pick up where I last left, and the fact that the students (particularly the male) keep making the same mistakes repeatedly, we don't seem to get very far in the 20 or 30 minutes I actually can dedicate to it at the moment. Has anyone else experienced this? It's frustrating sometimes (depending on my mood),if I hear him say nich-TTTTT one more time I think I'll cry! LOL

Hungarian

Óké, valakit kérdezett hogy tudok írni valamit magyarul, ezért gondoltom hogy jó lesz ha most ide írok magyarul!

Mostanában semmi különös a magyar tanulásban. Megprobálom sok beszélgetni a magyar barátaimmal. Mindennap, megbecslésnék hogy harminc vagy hatvan perc beszélgetem a Skype-on. Ezzel, egy kicsit olvasok, egy kicsit gyakorolom a nyelvtan az új könyvemben.... s azután megprobálom egy dvd-t nézni - de azt nem tudok csinálni mindennap.

Elég boldog vagyok az írozással, de szerintem, nem elég jó van a beszélésem. Ez nem igaz, hogy nem tudok mondani semmit, csak néha túl lassan beszélek. Még tudom a szó ha halgattom, csak nem emlékszem elég gyorsan amikor beszélgetek. Érted?

Mit szólsz? Elég jól érted?

---

Okay, someone asked that I write something in Hungarian, so I thought it would be good if I write here in Hungarian!

Lately there hasn't been anything particularly interesting in my Hungarian studies. I try to talk to a lot of Hungarian friends. Every day, I estimate that I would talk on Skype for thirty or sixty minutes. In addition to this, I read a little, do a little of the exercises for grammay in my new book .... and then I try to watch a DVD - but I can not do it every day.

I am happy enough with my writing, but I think my speaking is not yet good enough. It's not that I can't say anything, but sometimes I'm too slow (meaning I can't recall the words fast enough for a completely natural flowing conversation). I still seem to know the words when I hear them, but I don't recall them quickly enough always when talking. Do you understand?

What do you think? Do you understand well enough?

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version