Tetraglot
Singapore
Joined 5231 days ago

16 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Indonesian*, English, Malay, Mandarin
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 20
06 January 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I've seen pretty mixed reviews, mostly in the extremes. I've given it a try and it may be too early to say, but I believe it's very good when you're trying to get acquainted with the written system and pronunciation. As it's an immersion program, it's effective for remembering common phrases and vocabulary. It's true that you need to be intuitive to understand the grammar since it's not explained anywhere, but it's nothing a cheap grammar book can't solve.

In my opinion, if you want to converse fast in the language, it may not be useful. However, if you're willing to invest a lot of time and want to reach decent fluency, Rosetta Stone is a great way to start. Your thoughts?

EDIT: I realized I'm posting in the wrong board. I'll repost the thread there.

Edited by 843 on 06 January 2010 at 1:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5804 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 20
06 January 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Short answer: as much as a chocolate teapot.

What feels to you like a slow start is actually pretty much all there is to it. The format of the Rosetta Stone software doesn't allow it to present any sentences with even a little complexity. It is extremely limited.

Muz9
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5317 days ago

84 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Somali

Message 3 of 20
06 January 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
It sucks! Don't use, you will be stuck with tons of words you will never ever use in a normal conversation, example: they monkey is under the table, the apple is on top of the hat. It is also time consuming as it repeats so much, FSI or Assimil courses are much better.

hypersport
United States
Joined 5674 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 20
07 January 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I did Roesetta Stone Spanish 1 and 2. Was very good I thought, I was using the stuff with native speakers from the beginning.

There are many ways to go about language learning, I consider this one of many tools, and a good one.

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 5 of 20
07 January 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
You might have find it helpful, but personally I think there are much better resources out there, namely Assimil and FSI. Rosetta Stone, like any language learning tool with audio will get you speaking the language immediately, yes, but there are much better ways to go about it. Michel Thomas is a good way to get a start into the language before starting to study it seriously, Pimsleur too though I'm not a big fan.

psy88
United States
Joined 5384 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 6 of 20
07 January 2010 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
OldAccountBroke wrote:

What feels to you like a slow start is actually pretty much all there is to it. The format of the Rosetta Stone software doesn't allow it to present any sentences with even a little complexity. It is extremely limited.

"as much as a chocolate teapot"-what a great expression! I had never heard it before. Is it an original comment or a common expression in the UK?

Halie
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

80 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 7 of 20
08 January 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:
OldAccountBroke wrote:

"as much as a chocolate teapot"-what a great expression! I had never heard it before. Is it an original comment or a common expression in the UK?

I was wondering that as well! I'm even a native English speaker and I've never heard it (Although I'm American.)

TerryW
United States
Joined 6150 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 20
08 January 2010 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Muz9 wrote:
Don't use, you will be stuck with tons of words you will never ever use in a normal conversation, example: they monkey is under the table, the apple is on top of the hat.

Pretty practical phrases, I'd say. ;-)

(Edit: Had to swap in a new pic, the original was taken off the Net!)

Edited by TerryW on 11 June 2010 at 8:52pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version