polywannabe
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

35 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 26
23 November 2010 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
@divexo -

You usually learn Hiragana before Katakana. The tae Kim grammar guide has the charts for both...and there are plenty of online resources for quizzing yourself and learning stroke order.

RTK assigns a meaning to each kanji. After you know the meaning you use KO to study the reading of the most frequently used kanji first. You can start reading native material a lot faster that way.

If reading is your goal, then the method above would probably work pretty good for you.

2 persons have voted this message useful

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 18 of 26
23 November 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
Oh awesome thanks.
Will definitely do RTK, and then KO as according to the site it says after getting down the four levels one can read
most of the kanji in newspapers.. Seems quite exciting, though I would do easier books afterwards.

What happens when one encounters a kanji they don't know? It seems difficult for one to look it up on the internet
from a book?

polywannabe
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

35 posts - 43 votes

Message 19 of 26
23 November 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
@Divexo -
This is Sage's learning log so I don't want to seem like we're taking over it.

However, to quickly answer your question, you look up kanji by their stroke order number and by their radical group.

I think if you don't have any questions specifically for Sage74, then you should probably start a new topic elsewhere - you would get lots more people to view your question too!!

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 20 of 26
24 November 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Oh sorry! I'll end this now, goodluck Sage for further study.
Thanks for your help :)

sage74
Groupie
United States
Joined 5257 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 21 of 26
27 November 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
WOW, alot of replies @_@. It's been a while since I last updated. Overall things have
gone well, I was able to read RTK until the end, but I didn't enter those kanji in my
SRS, so it will take a while to really "finish" . The last few Kanji aren't that easy,
and I have to go over alot of due kanji as well.

I already learned hiragana and katakana a few years ago through practice and repetition.
I know about Tae Kims grammar guide and I will try to use it effectively. I don't know
much about KO sentences though. I'll look into it in the next few weeks.

I already have a basic Grammar understanding, I just haven't studied it in a while. I've
only really focused on Kanji. Coming up I'll focus on cementing the rest of RTK, then
move on Vocab and grammar.    

sage74
Groupie
United States
Joined 5257 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 

Message 22 of 26
02 December 2010 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Still studying RTK for now, and reading Slam Dunk in Japanese. I need to improve grammar and vocab though.
1 person has voted this message useful

sage74
Groupie
United States
Joined 5257 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 

Message 23 of 26
06 December 2010 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Started Watching more dramas and movies, and will start watching anime again after a long
break. I want to improve my listening and overall comprehension. Still Working on RTK.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5468 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 24 of 26
11 December 2010 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
sage74 wrote:
Still Working on RTK.

I feel like I've been saying this forever lol. I started RTK back in August of 2009, did like 500, stopped. Started again Dec 2009, got to around 500 and stopped. Now, I'm in 1800s, but I have nearly 700 cards suspended in my SRS deck (school forces me to not study everyday, and kanji is the easiest to forget.)

I hope you don't end up like I did lol. Anyway, Christmas break is around the corner, and I actually need the kanji to be done, so I'll stop being a softy and finally finish it.

Edited by The Real CZ on 11 December 2010 at 3:58pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version