Diglot
United States
Joined 6224 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 1 of 13
01 February 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Quick question: If you are learning a language that uses a different alphabet (For example: Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Thai, etc.), is it best to learn the language first (phonetically, for example with IPA) and then learn the alphabet to go with it, or to learn the alphabet and the spoken language at the same time?

Peter
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 13
02 February 2010 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
At the same time. Anyone should be able to learn how to read Russian in just a few hours (at most). There is no point in delaying that, in my opinion.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 3 of 13
02 February 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Exactly, phonetic writing systems can usually be negotiated within hours (with the exception of syllabaries like Amharic/Ge'ez) and should really be learnt as early as possible. Chinese characters is a different story, since it takes several months or years to learn enough of them.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5346 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 13
02 February 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
I agree with both posters above. With Korean, I learned Hangul very early on (including learning to type Hangul using the Windows IME) and I don't regret it in the least. One of the big advantages of doing this is that it increases transparency in languages which contain a large number of English loan words, so you can often pick out those loan words simply by sounding them out.

For example, my browser home page is Google.com, which I have set to Korean. Simply knowing how to pronounce Hangul characters shows that 7 of the words on that very text-sparse page are direct English loan words (images, news, shopping, login, web, program, and center).

Edited by Warp3 on 02 February 2010 at 5:10pm

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6513 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 5 of 13
02 February 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
There's no benefit to putting off learning a new alphabet, and lots of benefit to getting it down in as the first lesson. Practicing it from the beginning lets you internalize the quirks of the new alphabet as you go instead of trying to pick it up later. Not only that, it would stop you from testing yourself on native language material to see how much you understand. And since that's likely a goal of learning the language, why not do it from the beginning?

zhiguli
Canada
Joined 6252 days ago

176 posts - 221 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 6 of 13
03 February 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
If you have audio to go with your text then there should be no problem. This is especially important because many (I dare say, most) writing systems are not completely phonetic, so it's useful to see how the written form diverges from the pronunciation from the very beginning.

Russian is a good example. A word that is spelled счастливо (schastlivo) gets pronounced щислива (sshisliva) but you'd have to know a whole bunch of rules (and the stress) to figure out the correct pronunciation.
You could learn the rules explicitly but it's far more productive to learn a ton of example words/sentences with pronunciation and eventually it will become second nature.

Scripts like Khmer or Thai are a good deal more difficult (I've never seen anyone learn them in "a few short hours") because you need to learn whole syllabic blocks but the solution is the same - lots of examples with audio.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rostocpj
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5302 days ago

21 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, French, Toki Pona
Studies: Esperanto, Indonesian, Shanghainese, Cantonese

Message 7 of 13
04 February 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Usually learning the alphabet of a language is the first thing I do, even before learning words. By doing this, I've been able (as others have stated) to re-enforce my knowledge and comfort level with the alphabet as I've moved on to learning words/phrases/etc.

I spent the first week of independent Thai study learning to read and write it, tones and all. It was very difficult but has absolutely been helpful and the better choice in the long-run.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 13
03 March 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Can you give us a single reason why it would be advantageous to delay learning the alphabet?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version