Lithuania
Joined 6711 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 1 of 31
15 January 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I have made a question in another forum on a thread, but nobody noticed it, bacause that the topic of the thread was different

maxb wrote:
Quote:

Then I record the audio of the selected segment to my MP3-player and listen to it over and over.

I would like to ask some questions

-are those films in DVD format?
-is the mp3 player you mention something like Windows Media player or winamp?
-what is necessary to have in computer in order to play DVD? I have in my computer DVD-ROM device and Windows Media player/Winamp is it enough for playing DVD? I heard something like DVD decoder is needed. If it is true what is it?
-why to convert DVD to mp3? I think it should be possible to rewind DVD as much times as you want
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 31
15 January 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
The audio track of a movie in DVD format (or any other movie format, I think) can be extracted to mp3 via appropriate software. The mp3 player could really be anything from Windows Media Player/Real Player/Winamp/etc. to a portable mp3 walkman/Ipod. Your computer should have a DVD-drive. I don't think that a CD-drive is sufficient. It must be able to show DVD movies. The benefit of converting the audio track to mp3 is that you can load your mp3 player and listen to the movie on your way to work, on the bus/train/subway, whilst taking a walk et.c.

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6711 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 3 of 31
15 January 2006 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Your computer should have a DVD-drive. I don't think that a CD-drive is sufficient. It must be able to show DVD movies. The benefit of converting the audio track to mp3 is that you can load your mp3 player and listen to the movie on your way to work, on the bus/train/subway, whilst taking a walk et.c.

My computer has a DVD-ROM drive but I am still uncertain whether the drive only is sufficient or a DVD decoder still is needed together with it.

As for listening while going to work I do not think it is a good idea because one cannot concentrate - one is too distracted by various sounds around, one has to pay attention where one walks etc.
Especially bad thing is to listen MP3 or CD when driving. One runs the risk to make an accident. The attention should be concentrated on road and not on the recording. I am not a driver myself, however I watch my wife when she drives and see how attentive she must be every moment. And the traffic in Vilnius is by far not like in London. New York or Chicago!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 31
15 January 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Of course I don't suggest listening to an action film dialogue while in heavy traffic, at least not if you want to get everything what's said and get to work alive... But it might be OK to "feed" your brain with the new sounds.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6903 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 31
15 January 2006 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Linas wrote:
Especially bad thing is to listen MP3 or CD when driving. One runs the risk to make an accident. The attention should be concentrated on road and not on the recording. I am not a driver myself, however I watch my wife when she drives and see how attentive she must be every moment.

Maybe this is for another topic, but I never seem to have problems if I listen to audio in the car.

Linas wrote:
I have in my computer DVD-ROM device and Windows Media player/Winamp is it enough for playing DVD? I heard something like DVD decoder is needed.

Yes, you can play and DVD in your computer with Windows Media Player provided you have a DVD drive in the computer. Those decoder programs are for people trying to make copies of the DVD. It's possible you may need to use one of the programs to convert a DVD to MP3, however the audio converter program should let you know about this.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6982 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 31
16 January 2006 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Linas wrote:

-are those films in DVD format?

Yes they are.
Linas wrote:

-is the mp3 player you mention something like Windows Media player or winamp?

In order to record the soundtrack I use a portable mp3-player (IRiver ifp 390) with a line in function, which I then connect to the line out of my computer.
Linas wrote:

-what is necessary to have in computer in order to play DVD? I have in my computer DVD-ROM device and Windows Media player/Winamp is it enough for playing DVD? I heard something like DVD decoder is needed. If it is true what is it?

The reason I use the computer is because I use an electronic dictionary to look up unknown words. By using the computer I can look at the DVD in one window and have the electronic dictionary in another.
Linas wrote:

-why to convert DVD to mp3? I think it should be possible to rewind DVD as much times as you want

The reasons I record onto my mp3 player are:
-I believe that repeteadly listening to relatively short audio segements is a good way to internalize the grammar and vocabulary of the audio content.
-If you want to listen to a dialouge 20 or more times, it is pretty inconvient to rewind it every time you want to watch it again. If you have an mp3 player with a loop function you can just set it to repeat the track over and over again.
-I find that when I watch the movie I cannot always fully concentrate on the spoken language since I'm distracted by the onscreen action. By listening only to the audio the language sinks into my mind much better.

Edited by maxb on 16 January 2006 at 6:05am

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6833 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 31
17 January 2006 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
The drivers CD that came with your DVD player should contain everything you need to play DVD's.

Thus far my experience is that you do need to install the DVD player that comes with your DVD drivers CD.
For instance PowerDVD.

Only when you have installed that is Windows Mediaplayer able to play DVD's too I think.

Edited by tuffy on 17 January 2006 at 5:23am

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6903 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 8 of 31
17 January 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I think older versions of Windows Media Player did some odd things to support the playing of DVDs. With newer versions nothing is required, except that you have a DVD drive in your PC.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version