Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6822 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 31
17 January 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Ah ok. My experiences are also rather old (version 7 or so). Since then I have been using Ghost images (so not much installing anymore :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6891 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 31
18 January 2006 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
I think older versions of Windows Media Player did some odd things to support the playing of DVDs. With newer versions nothing is required, except that you have a DVD drive in your PC.

That's not strictly true. Windows Media Player will not play DVDs without an appropriate MPEG2 DirectX filter - i.e. an MPEG2 decoder. Such decoders incurr licensing costs which Microsoft don't pay. WMP therefore relies on a 3rd party decoder being installed.

A link on the Microsoft site here shows available commercial plugins but also has an download link to a utility allowing you to check the availability & compatibility of your existing MPEG2 decoder.

The reason most machines now play DVDs out the box with WMP is that there is usually an already-licensed decoder bundled with and installed on the machine.

Andy.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 11 of 31
18 January 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Ah, I guess I've always had some third party codec that took care of that. Anyway, if anyone out there needs support for DVDs, look at the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. It's especially nice because with it I can play Real/QuickTime files without using their annoying program to do it.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6891 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 12 of 31
19 January 2006 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
Ah, I guess I've always had some third party codec that took care of that. Anyway, if anyone out there needs support for DVDs, look at the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. It's especially nice because with it I can play Real/QuickTime files without using their annoying program to do it.

A thousand thanks for that little link.

Hopefully I can finally get rid of RealPlayer - I find it really annoying that much (but not all) of the BBC's language content is in RP files.

Andy.

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6822 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 31
19 January 2006 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
There is an alternative for the Real player Andy.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Tuffy

Edited by tuffy on 19 January 2006 at 2:47am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6891 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 14 of 31
19 January 2006 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
There is an alternative for the Real player Andy.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Tuffy

Yes, but what I'm hoping is that with the codec pack, I can play RP files in WMP.

Andy.

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6700 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 15 of 31
19 January 2006 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
I would like to ask still another question about the DVD. I have read that every DVD are made for a specific region and that they can play only on players made in the same region(what for idiot has invented such nonsense?). I would ask whether sombody had problems because of that. Secondly, since Chinese films are certainly made for a different region than Europe, so that it should be impossible to view Chinese DVD in Europe, if the above-mentioned is true.

Edited by Linas on 19 January 2006 at 6:59am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6891 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 16 of 31
19 January 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Linas wrote:
I would like to ask still another question about the DVD. I have read that every DVD are made for a specific region and that they can play only on players made in the same region(what for idiot has invented such nonsense?). I would ask whether sombody had problems because of that. Secondly, since Chinese films are certainly made for a different region than Europe, so that it should be impossible to view Chinese DVD in Europe, if the above-mentioned is true.

There are huge numbers of DVD players available in the UK that are "hackable" in some form or other. There are either secret menus or remote key press combinations that enable region-free or they can be purchased "chipped" to get round the problem.

Personally, I don't know anyone who owns a DVD player that cannot be made region-free. Most of us bought them to take advantage of movie releases to DVD being faster in the US.

I've also, in the past, "flashed" the PROM on some of my computer DVD drives to remove the region checks as well.

Andy.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version