1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 25 of 28
03 September 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
How do you make the jump to sodomite?

This isn't a loaded question, I'm just genuinely intersted.

To me it is cut and dry that the compound word ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) means:

Thayers: one who lies with a male as with a female, a sodomite
Arndt and Gingrich: a male who practices homosexuality, pederast, sodomite

These are the two best lexicons and their entries for ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) are in agreement and present only a single possible meaning.

I would translate ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) in both verses (1 Cor 6:9 and 1 Tim 1:10) as "homosexuals" as the NASB does. "one who lies with a male as with a female" is too long--a one word English translation is best for one Greek Word. Sodomite is archaic, and Pederast is too limited in meaning for these two verses.

You have to be careful to follow proper hermeneutical principals when interpreting the Bible. Paul expressed very clearly and unequivocally in Rom 1:27 that homosexuality is a sin:

ομοιως τε και οι αρσενες αφεντες την φυσικην χρησιν της θηλειας εξεκαυθησαν εν τη ορεξει αυτων εις αλληλους αρσενες εν αρσεσιν την ασχημοσυνην κατεργαζομενοι και την αντιμισθιαν ην εδει της πλανης αυτων εν εαυτοις απολαμβανοντες

and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

Thus there is no reason to doubt that he would also list homosexuality as a characteristic of "the unrighteous" in 1 Cor 6:9 and as something "contrary to sound teaching" in 1 Tim 1:10.

Any attempt to intrepret ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) as something other than a homosexual is Eisegesis. Eisegesis is " the process of interpreting a text in such a way that it introduces one's own ideas, reading into the text." Thus, in this case it would be starting with the presupposition that homosexuality is not a sin and then trying to find a meaning for ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) other than homosexual.

Edited by JW on 03 September 2010 at 2:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 26 of 28
04 September 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
JW wrote:

I would translate ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) in both verses (1 Cor 6:9 and 1 Tim 1:10) as "homosexuals" as the NASB does. "one who lies with a male as with a female" is too long--a one word English translation is best for one Greek Word. Sodomite is archaic, and Pederast is too limited in meaning for these two verses.

homosexuals

I think practising homosexuals would be better as there are many men who have homosexual thoughts but do not act on them.

Thanks for the quick reply and the information.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5918 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 27 of 28
04 September 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
I think practising homosexuals would be better as there are many men who have homosexual thoughts but do not act on them.

Yes, I agree. The word κατεργάζομαι (katergazomai) in Rom 1:27 is the key. It means "to commit an act" "to do a deed" and thus overt action and not just thoughts.

But I think it even goes beyond committing acts. The list in 1 Cor 6:9 in which ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoites) occurs also contains μοιχός (moichos) Adulterer. Now David committed adultery with Bathsheba but he would not be a μοιχός (moichos) here. He is described as "a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22)."

I think what Paul is referring to is a "lifestyle", i.e., unrepentant, repeated, behavior. A believer should not fall into this category.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5918 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 28 of 28
11 October 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I found something incredible that I want to share: An On-line Interlinear Septuagint (however sans Apocrypha unfortunately:()

http://apostolic.interlinearbible.org/genesis/1.htm

If this had parsing, I would think I had died and gone to heaven ;)

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version