aquablue
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 41
06 February 2010 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Which one would be the most valuable to learn in regard to current and future economic opportunities? Is Russia on track to be the next major emerging economy o the 21st century? Will it surpass German as a major must-know prestige language of business and science in the next 30 years? Your thoughts.

1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5220 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 41
06 February 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
German would be my guess, they are the world's largest exporter. I'm not sure if Russia is on track to be an economic leader, but my advice would be to learn both. That's what I plan on doing :D

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5246 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 3 of 41
06 February 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
I think they would be both important. No idea which one is more, but learning either will help you.

I'm currently just doing Russian because I am not intellectually interested in German right now, but hopefully I will have some interest in it one day.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 4 of 41
06 February 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
German would be my guess, they are the world's largest exporter. I'm not sure if Russia is on track to be an economic leader, but my advice would be to learn both. That's what I plan on doing :D

I'm right there with you.

German Russian and Spanish are my highest priority languages. German seems to be easier than Spanish... (for me at least) I'm picking up on it much quicker :D

I can't wait to start with Russian, but I need to put German under my belt first :)

aquablue
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 

Message 5 of 41
06 February 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
For those learning Russian, can you explain what made you choose? Do you intend to work or live in Russia or are you just fascinated by its culture, literature, etc. Why learn Russian vs another important language such as Arabic or Chinese for example? Will the Russian economy make Russian a more important world language for business/commerce/science/culture, surpassing the potential of German or Arabic?

Edited by aquablue on 06 February 2010 at 6:01pm

aquablue
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 

Message 6 of 41
06 February 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Johntm wrote:

I'm right there with you.

German Russian and Spanish are my highest priority languages. German seems to be easier than Spanish... (for me at least) I'm picking up on it much quicker :D

I can't wait to start with Russian, but I need to put German under my belt first :)

Are you really learning 4 language together...must be difficult, no?

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5246 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 7 of 41
06 February 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
For those learning Russian, can you explain what made you choose? Do you intend to work or live in Russia or are you just fascinated by its culture, literature, etc. Why learn Russian vs another important language such as Arabic or Chinese for example? Will the Russian economy make Russian a more important world language for business/commerce/science/culture, surpassing the potential of German or Arabic?

I learn languages first and foremost out of my intellectual interest in them. But if I chose languages solely based on that, I would have chosen ones like Inuktitut, Lithuanian, Zulu, Manchu, etc, and other languages that nobody's heard of. I also realized that I needed to have a realistic outlook on what I should do, so I am first learning the languages that are both useful and interesting to me, and Russian just happens to satisfy both of that.

Also, I am a vinyl record collector, and the former USSR has great records that one would never come by easily. That is not to say that Germans don't have great music either (I've especially enjoyed some East German jazz music recently), but the USSR has more.

Edited by chucknorrisman on 06 February 2010 at 6:38pm

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5364 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 8 of 41
06 February 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
My advise is to follow your heart and not the ecenomy of some country.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version