United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5922 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 9 of 53
16 February 2010 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if Americans have any idea how hard Finnish is.   My friend asked me, "Finnish isn't going to be as hard as Japanese, right?" Uhh, well. I don't know. I think the most common reaction here would be "Finnish? huh? wha?"

If you want to impress the 'language learning civilians', I suggest learning a different alphabet for mystique and mystery. Georgian might be a nice candidate for this purpose. Pay extra attention to neat handwriting, and then at your next cocktail party jot down some quick notes in Georgian or Tibetan on a convenient napkin.   Make sure to have a few grammatically correct set-phrases memorized, in case the napkin makes its way to a native speaker for verification.

Also, don't bother acquiring deep knowledge of any one language, rather learn to beginner level a large number of exotic languages, but take special care to get the pronunciation down perfectly. Then, when the conversation inevitably drifts to America's latest overseas adventure, you can modestly drop a few phrases in Tajik or Pastho to emphasize your well-considered opinion on the matter.   

Stay away from more commonly studied languages, like German or French, as you're likely to run into one of those troublesome people who actually know the language.
15 persons have voted this message useful

JasonBourne
Groupie
United States
Joined 5549 days ago

65 posts - 111 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 10 of 53
17 February 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm sorry but knowing Xhosa or Igbo will get you zero bragging rights in America. Mostly, you will get blank stares. When you tell an American you speak "Georgian", they're going to think you're talking about a southern accent.

Even if they knew what part of the world one speaks Quechua and Avar (I don't), you would be perceived as being nerdy (or just weird) for studying such an obscure language.

Languages that will get you the most "bragging points" are...
1. Arabic, Japanese, Mandarin (if you can utter a few sentences in these languages it instantly makes you a genius in America)

2. German, French (if you can speak these languages WELL, you're perceived as being cultured and worldly)

3. Latin (for some reason Americans think this is the toughest language in the history of mankind and if you speak it you're either really educated or really Catholic)

A fluent Spanish speaking Caucasian is still considered pretty impressive (at least in the midwest). If you speak any other language besides these without a good, specific reason, your average American will only think you have too much time on your hands.

I told my friends I was studying Turkish and they all think I'm an idiot...

Edited by JasonBourne on 17 February 2010 at 1:36am

17 persons have voted this message useful

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 11 of 53
17 February 2010 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:
Yeah, I'm sorry but knowing Xhosa or Igbo will get you zero bragging rights in America. Mostly, you will get blank stares. When you tell an American you speak "Georgian", they're going to think you're talking about a southern accent.

That's exactly what I came into this thread to say. It really depends on who you're trying to impress. If it's the bourgeoisie and you plan on using a language as some sort of party trick, a click language or some other obscure language with a twistedly complex grammar just isn't gonna work. Languages like German, Italian, and (especially) French is what will get some exclamations of "Oh wow!" out of people instead of blank stares. I remember telling some girl I was studying Finnish years ago when I first began studying and carried my "Teach Yourself Finnish" book to school like the nerd I was. Her reaction: "What's that?"
1 person has voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5839 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 12 of 53
17 February 2010 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:
What is a very hard language for English speakers (or better yet, objectively) that its speakers can brag about? I know there are Mandarin and Japanese, but I'd like to hear about some lesser known stuff as well.

Swahili.

Exotic and hard.

If you really want to impress people all you need to do is become fluent (in any foreign language). People admire people who sound like native speakers. No matter what language they speak.

Edited by John Smith on 17 February 2010 at 5:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 13 of 53
17 February 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Basically, anything that's really different from English. Any Native American language. Any language with clicks. Ancient Egyptian. Arabic. Pirahã. A sign language.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5701 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 14 of 53
17 February 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
Russian is a bragging language (I can tell you ;] ) but it's not the best you can do.

Swahili
Yoruba
Zulu
Xhosa

If it's "African", it can be admired (especially click languages. Even something like
Zulu, which doesn't have THAT many clicks, will cause people to lick your boots in
respect as you walk by). Basically, non-Indo-European languages earn you coolness points.

Ah actually Xhosa and Zulu are relatively easy from my point of view... I think Nama, or a Khoi language... those are the bragging ones in Africa... once you get used to Bantu grammar structures, they are all fairly similar and not all that hard.

JoshN
United States
Joined 5207 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes

Message 15 of 53
17 February 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:

Languages that will get you the most "bragging points" are...
1. Arabic, Japanese, Mandarin (if you can utter a few sentences in these languages it instantly makes you a genius in America)

I agree with everything you said in the post. I will point out a mild backlash against some Westerners who are extremely fond of Japanese culture (otaku is the word usually used to describe them) to the point of obsession.

So, if you're wearing a Sailor Moon shirt and carrying a backpack full of manga, speaking some Japanese might make you seem less than cool.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5219 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 53
17 February 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
JoshN wrote:

So, if you're wearing a Sailor Moon shirt and carrying a backpack full of manga, speaking some Japanese might make you seem less than cool.
Not might, it WILL make you seem less than cool. Also, from what I have heard from several people, the otakus are typically the worst in their Japanese class.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version