Joined 5721 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 25 of 53
19 February 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
zhiguli wrote:
What a waste of time. The idea that anyone would spend so many years and effort on a language, just to brag about it, is something I'll never understand.
And as pointed out, you don't actually need to know a language and certainly nowhere near fluency to impress the common folk. Even natives will generally be too polite to call you out as a fraud.
That said, my vote goes to Abkhaz. It must be a super thrill to brag about knowing a language where all the words begin with A.
I agree that it's a waste of time to learn languages just to show off.

I'll answer the question by adding a few languages that haven't been mentioned: Tsez, Lushotseed, Aymara (this site is in Spanish), Tabassaran and, because it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, Hungarian.

Edited by mick33 on 19 February 2010 at 10:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6499 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 26 of 53
19 February 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Oh, come on, people, you don't even have to know a language to impress Americans. I don't know how many times I told people that I was *learning* Chinese and the response I got was "Oh, you must be so smart." In addition, I don't think anyone ever asked me to actually say anything in the language, either, or more than a sentence. In general, they wouldn't know if I was actually speaking correctly or not.

Even fluent Spanish is impressive to Americans, except if you look Hispanic.

Edited by Raincrowlee on 19 February 2010 at 11:23pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5245 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 27 of 53
19 February 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I fully know that learning a language just to show off isn't the wisest usage of time either. I was just wondering what the people thought.

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6415 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 28 of 53
20 February 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Aside from Mandarin and Japanese, here are some hard languages that an American could show off to impress other people,

Korean, Arabic, Navajo, Cherokee, Russian, and Hebrew. And they wouldn't be impossible for any American to learn and practice since there are communities of people in America who speak those languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6499 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 29 of 53
20 February 2010 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:
I fully know that learning a language just to show off isn't the wisest usage of time either. I was just wondering what the people thought.

I think most Americans would say that any language that uses a different alphabet is especially hard, with the possible exception of Greek. No distinction between those with true alphabets (like Russian) and those with characters, syllaberies, etc.

Arabic looks hard, and it's written right to left. Chinese and Japanese have a reputation for difficulty because they look difficult, with the characters, and most people know that Chinese has thousands of them.

I think when you start getting into the truly harder languages like Cherokee, Hungarian or some small minority language, you'll run into the problem of the audience not knowing how much harder those languages are than any other.

Oh, and Latin would probably be quite impressive, too.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5701 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 30 of 53
20 February 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:

Well... studying languages such as Latin and Xhosa is not the wisest usage of time in general according to most in this world. ^_^ Not that we do it for the bragging, but showing off just a little when I produce a Xhosa tong twister (even here in SA) is kinda fun.
3 persons have voted this message useful

mattvdm
United Kingdom
Joined 5218 days ago

15 posts - 19 votes
Studies: French, Ancient Greek, Spanish, Russian

Message 31 of 53
23 February 2010 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Learning to converse in Latin or (far more impressively) Classical Greek would put you in a God-like tier amongst even academic classicists.

But would probably terrify/bemuse members of the general public.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5448 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 32 of 53
23 February 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
This conversation reminds me of similar ones among jugglers. The joke was that a fellow practiced and practiced to go beyond the usual three balls. He got good at four, then five, then six, and he was already in very rare territory because of the difficulty of his achievements. Then he pressed on and learned to do seven, eight, nine, ten. Finally, he learned eleven, which put him on a unique pinnacle of skill. The first person who happened upon him right after he had first done eleven came up to him and said, "Nice. Can you do twelve?" Moral: Whatever you do, do it for yourself, and perhaps for those who will understand what you are doing. Don't expect the great unwashed masses to understand and there is no pleasing them.

Similarly, the public has no clue when watching jugglers as to which moves are truly difficult. Only other jugglers know. Just like languages. Only a real linguaphile would know just how hard Georgian, say, is for an English speaker compared to, say, Dutch.

13 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version