fizzer
United Kingdom
Joined 5344 days ago

17 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 10 of 22
18 February 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for these very interesting posts. I'm considering assembling this course. So I gather so far that there are:

Video
Audio
Text book
2 x study guides
2 x work books

Video and text book go together
Audio and work books go together

Is this correct and complete?
Where do the study guides fit in?
Can I do without any of the components?

1 person has voted this message useful

commo
United States
Joined 5310 days ago

13 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: French

Message 11 of 22
18 February 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
"I've just had a thought, you say it took you to b1-b2. Providing assimil does what
it says on the tin (i.e. take a person to b2) would it not be simpler just to use assimil
at 30 mins a day as it suggests than to spend so much time watching videos and doing
exercises."

I've used Assimil courses and I like them. To be frank though, in my opinion, there is absolutely no comparison between FIA and the Assimil French courses. Assimil is good; FIA is great. If one really follows the program (and by that I mean actively mastering every concept and all of the vocabulary as it is presented)every step in FIA is calculated to bring the student to a very solid medium/high intermediate level.

I used to just watch the video once or twice before I moved on to the audio. That was where the heavy lifting was done and I just about wore out (literally) my cassette tapes by repeating and reviewing the lessons over and over again.

I assure you, you will never regret learning French with French in Action. Pierre Capretz is a genius and FIA is his masterpiece.

Edited by commo on 18 February 2010 at 5:19pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

draoicht
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6112 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 22
18 February 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
fizzer wrote:
Thanks for these very interesting posts. I'm considering assembling this course. So I gather so far that there are:

Video
Audio
Text book
2 x study guides
2 x work books

Video and text book go together
Audio and work books go together

Is this correct and complete?
Where do the study guides fit in?
Can I do without any of the components?

Yes, that's everything the course contains, although there are 2 editions of the textbook, the first one can be got fairly cheap but the second one has an expanded documents section.

This is how it is recommended you use the course:

1.     Watch the video (no books)
2.     Listen and participate in Text Work Up/Mise en Oeuvre
3.     Go to the textbook and review what you have learned
4.     Do the Activities in the workbook with the audio
5.     Read the documents section in the textbook

The textbook contains a transcript of the video, some questions based on the Text Work Up and a documents section for reading practice.

They say not to look at the textbook until you have watched the video and worked through the Text Work Up audio.

I think that the studyguides are optional as the course is very straightforward, but I haven’t seen them so I don’t know what they contain.

It’s up to yourself how fast you progress through the course, I like to do the video and Text Work Up on one day and the next day work through the workbook.

2 persons have voted this message useful

ekendahl
Diglot
ekendahl.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5198 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English

Message 13 of 22
18 February 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Cool this is just the information I'm looking for now I just need to find out how to
download the videos so that I can watch them on my iPhone.

I have ordered the books (used) so once they come I think I will start this class

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5617 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 14 of 22
18 February 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
commo wrote:

Yes, after finishing FIA (and really learning everything in it) I was definitely at the intermediate level, probably at about the mid-point between B1 and B2.

I was doing some research as to how one can speak at a B1/B2 level and came across this website that shows videos of people speaking at a few different levels:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/what-we-do/research/speaking-pe rformances.html

This helped clarify for me what I can expect and I figured it may be useful to others.

I would be more than happy to get to a B1 level!

Edited by dleewo on 18 February 2010 at 11:05pm

draoicht
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6112 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 22
19 February 2010 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
ekendahl wrote:
Cool this is just the information I'm looking for now I just need to find out how to
download the videos so that I can watch them on my iPhone.

I have ordered the books (used) so once they come I think I will start this class

It's explained in this thread how to download the videos Link

I used a download manager called NetTransport and put the urls for the episodes into it.

For episode 1 it's mms://media.scctv.net/annenberg/French_In_Action_01.wmv, episode 2 is mms://media.scctv.net/annenberg/French_In_Action_02.wmv and so on for the rest of the episodes.

MmeFleiss
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5781 days ago

58 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog
Studies: Japanese, French, Spanish

Message 16 of 22
19 February 2010 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
I own the study guides and I think they'd be very useful to have. They have more explicit explanations on pronunciation, explains the grammar of the lessons in English in case you happen to be feeling a bit lost, and explains some of the cultural things that happen in the videos.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version