BobMc
United States
Joined 5447 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 22
19 February 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Did the audio change at all between the first edition (which I guess is 1987) and the later editions? I'd like to make sure I get the proper workbook for the audio I have.

Here is the first edition workbook...
First edition workbook

Here is the second edition workbook...
Second edition workbook

If the audio component of the course had not changed, then I am assuming I'd be fine with either workbook. Does that sound correct?
1 person has voted this message useful

MmeFleiss
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5781 days ago

58 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog
Studies: Japanese, French, Spanish

Message 18 of 22
20 February 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure it did change. I believe it was discussed in a previous FIA thread here.

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6916 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 22
21 February 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
magictom123 wrote:
I have a question. I have downloaded the audio via this link and plan to get hold of the
workbooks but how well do yo think someone would fare if they only watched the videos.
If they were to say watch the whole series 2 or 3 times over would they be able to speak
any french or would they just have a passive understanding? I'm assuming no prior
knowledge of french here. Also, what level would this course bring you to on the CEFR
scale? Could you class yourself as intermediate after this course and have a good
understanding of conversation, french tv, radio etc. Finally, would it be possible to
simply do this course and then move onto native materials - books, tv etc?

:)

My guess is that after watching the series 3-4 times, and using the book with the series, you should understand 1500-3000 words depending on the effort put in. The book will help you understand more from each viewing. Without the book it will take additional viewings.

To become fluent in French, I believe you will need to complete FIA and then spend six months reading French newspapers and books, and watching many French movies. You never stop learning. After a year of this, I think you could be at 3000-4000 words.

There are many good French movies that are fun to watch many times over. The Dinner Game is very funny and can be watched 10+ times without getting old. Jean de Florette is another very good movie but it is more of a drama. I also highly enjoy Eric Rohmer movies, my favorite is Pauline at the Beach. You are lucky to learn French because FIA will teach you enough so you can watch movies and read books, and the French have some of the best movies in the world.
2 persons have voted this message useful

skchi
Groupie
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

57 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 20 of 22
04 May 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
This thread has lots of great information! I'm thinking about just using the videos. My biggest hurdle in learning French is listening comprehension. So, I was thinking that it would be useful to go through the videos, maybe even write down what they're saying and compare it to the translations, which are on scribd (here's the thread)

Do you think just watching the videos will improve my listening comprehension?

Edited by skchi on 04 May 2010 at 9:46pm

languages123
Spain
Joined 4353 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 21 of 22
06 June 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
i tried to download the audio files but it requires me to give my username and password for the site.. does anyone have a username for me, so i cn download the files or an alternative download link? I have the book at home but no cd.. thank you

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version