Joined 5546 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 14
03 March 2010 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
al-Irlandee wrote:
Thanks for the advice all who posted.

I've decided to go get myself a Naruto manga, as it's written for youngsters, hence the Kanji has the symbol spelled out above in a superscript. Likwise I've started learning the hiragana and katakana scripts. Smart.fm is a real lifesaver in regards to them. Obrigado to all.

If you want to learn "this script of Japanese", then why aren't you learning Chinese? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5346 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 14
03 March 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
al-Irlandee wrote:
Thanks for the advice all who posted.

I've decided to go get myself a Naruto manga, as it's written for youngsters, hence the Kanji has the symbol spelled out above in a superscript. Likwise I've started learning the hiragana and katakana scripts. Smart.fm is a real lifesaver in regards to them. Obrigado to all.

If you want to learn "this script of Japanese", then why aren't you learning Chinese? :)

I want to the learn Japanese so as to read the Guyver in its original language. I didn't realise the images i posted were just a Mandarin translation of the Japanese original.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6248 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 11 of 14
03 March 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I remember watching the Guyver anime like 10 years ago. It was pretty cool. There's a movie and some episodes.

There's also a live action movie which was pretty corny IIRC.

Have fun :)

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5346 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 12 of 14
03 March 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
I remember watching the Guyver anime like 10 years ago. It was pretty cool. There's a movie and some episodes.

There's also a live action movie which was pretty corny IIRC.

Have fun :)

Yeah, theres the old Manga cartoon series (12 episodes) that were released into English in the mid 90s. They're still pretty good. Then an anime cartoon series was brought out a few years ago which stretched 20+ episodes and wasn't so good unfortunately. As for the films, there's Mutronics and Guyver Dark Hero, the latter being the worst.

The comics are the best though, they're the reason thats really pushing me to learn Japanese.

Edited by al-Irlandee on 03 March 2010 at 9:40pm

Sayumi
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5229 days ago

51 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 13 of 14
04 March 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
al-Irlandee wrote:

The comics are the best though, they're the reason thats really pushing me to learn Japanese.

Isn't the manga available in English translation? Or is it one of those titles that got licensed but later dropped by the publisher?

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5346 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 14 of 14
05 March 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Sayumi wrote:
al-Irlandee wrote:

Isn't the manga available in English translation? Or is it one of those titles that got licensed but later dropped by the publisher?

They were translated/published by Viz Comics back in 1999, however they went into hiatus until now. They stopped the English translations at issue 51 I think and Guyver continues to carry on in Japanese and Mandarin until #161 I believe.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version