Diglot
United States
Joined 5275 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 11
28 February 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking about Danish the other day, and I was thinking about whether or not it had
tones like Swedish and Norwegian. I would think that it's not much of a problem if they
didn't as the three languages are mutually intelligible anyway, but I was just wondering as
it seem to remember reading somewhere that Swedish and Norwegian have pitch that
determines meanings in words, and I wondered why Danish was not mentioned.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
01 March 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
It's not really that the pitch in Swedish (and Norwegian, I suppose) is there to determine meaning - in some cases it does; while in others, the word is just pronounced that way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 3 of 11
01 March 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I am not too sure about any tones in Swedish. If Swedish has it, so does Danish, but as I said, I have not noticed it. That said, Danish has very interesting pronounciation to say the least.

2 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5275 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 11
01 March 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
What I mean is, there are two meanings to the Swedish word anden, no? The only
difference is tone in the syllables. One meaning means duck I'm pretty sure, and I don't
know the other one but this is what I'm talking about.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 11
02 March 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that's right. There are numerous word pairs where the tone changes the meaning, but to my knowledge Danish doesn't have that feature (and if it does, the prosody isn't as "sing-songy" as Swedish/Norwegian), and the tones aren't just there to change the meaning. Swedish and Norwegian just happen to sound that way. Many words (including first and last names) that are pronounced with one tone take the other in another part of the country. No big deal.

If you're into Danish, I think you're less likely to meet this tone/accent/pitch distinction.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
02 March 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
It is commonly said that Swedish and Norwegian have tones, while Danish has a glottal stop ("stød") instead - which in a sense also is a 'tone' thing rather than something like a phoneme. This means that we have a number of words where only the stød/not-stød gives a diference in meaning (for instance "kører" vs. "køer" ('drives' vs. 'cows') or "møller" vs. "Møller" ('mills' vs. the name derived from it). But these phenomena are not used systematically at each and every vowel, i.e. they may be important, but you would still be able to understand Swedish with reduced melody and Danish without stød - as illustrated by Finnish Swedish and Danish from Lolland.

Stress has the same characteristic - it is is best seen as a modification of a string of phonemes rather than a phoneme in its own right in between the others. For instance Danish "Gå til" with stress on "gå" means "go to", while it means "pass away" or "wither" with stress on "til".

The big difference between Swedish/Norwegian and Danish is that sentences in the former have a very characteristic melody, while the sentence melody in Danish is more uniform (and with more contractions where isolated words are combined into chunks).
7 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 7 of 11
02 March 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
What I mean is, there are two meanings to the Swedish word anden, no? The only difference is tone in the syllables. One meaning means duck I'm pretty sure, and I don't

Yeah, but English has the same phenomenon. I am too tired to think of any example right now, but there are MANY. Is anyone saying that this is unique for Scandinavian languages? I don't think so?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 11
01 June 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
ruskivyetr wrote:
What I mean is, there are two meanings to the
Swedish word anden, no? The only difference is tone in the syllables. One meaning means
duck I'm pretty sure, and I don't

Yeah, but English has the same phenomenon. I am too tired to think of any example right
now, but there are MANY. Is anyone saying that this is unique for Scandinavian
languages? I don't think so?

Slightly ridiculous of me to wake this thread up after >2 years, but just to say I
agree that English uses tone quite a lot, although probably not in a very systematic
way. We know it when we hear it, but we could not tell you or write down the rules.
But meaning can definitely change with tone, and/or emphasis.
Just think of the ways we can use "hmmm", to give the simplest example I can think of.

Having just started to listen to Danish a bit more seriously, there is definitely a
tonal thing going on there, which is quite different to English and presumably
different to Norwegian and Swedish (based on what I read here....I could not
systematise it myself, unaided).

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version