Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4416 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 11
01 June 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I think all spoken languages use pitch in some way. E.g., I would guess that questions and statements have different pitch patterns in most languages. But in only relatively few languages (afaik) does the tone change the meaning of individual words. In Swedish this is true of some word pairs - anden (the duck, the spirit), tomten (the lot, the elf). Notice - and = duck, ande = spirit, tomt = lot (as in parking lot), tomte = elf (the Santa's elf sort of elf). But not all dialects have these tones. I think in Finnish Swedish these word pairs are identical. As you can see, the potential for confusion is limited. ("Den heliga anden" is a possible source of humor - the Holy Spirit - or Duck.)

I'm not aware of any similar phenomenon in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 10 of 11
01 June 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Pisces wrote:

I think what people may be referring to are pairs like present, meaning gift, and present, to give or show (e.g., I'll
give you a present before I present these slides). Or the address at which you live, and the address the president's
going to give the nation tonight. ...Or how math is your worst subject in school, and how could the teacher subject
you to his lectures which seem to never end?

This site has a long list of English words where a change in stress changes
the meaning of the word. Some of these pairs don't support this thread at all (as in, the noun is simply verbified
when the emphasis shifts to another syllable), but with some the shift produces a very significant change in
meaning.

Edited by Hekje on 01 June 2012 at 11:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 11
01 June 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
Pisces wrote:

I think what people may be referring to are pairs like present, meaning gift, and
present, to give or show (e.g., I'll
give you a present before I present these slides). Or the address at which you live,
and the address the president's
going to give the nation tonight. ...Or how math is your worst subject in school, and
how could the teacher subject
you to his lectures which seem to never end?

This site has a long list of English words where
a change in stress changes
the meaning of the word. Some of these pairs don't support this thread at all (as in,
the noun is simply verbified
when the emphasis shifts to another syllable), but with some the shift produces a very
significant change in
meaning.

Good point. Maybe it's stress that's more important in English, and certainly can
change meaning.

Nevertheless, I think tone/intonation can also change meaning, sometimes in subtle ways
that are hard to classify.

And on a slightly different tack, someone used to tell me the story of the foreign
learner of English who, seeing a newspaper placard announcing "Cavalcade [Musical by
Noël Coward] pronounced success", got on the next boat home, as he knew he'd never
master English :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version