Diglot
United States
Joined 5280 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 37
03 March 2010 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
A question that has been bothering me for a while is the concept of English taking over
and replacing certain countries' national languages. I fear for the world's linguistic future
although it may seem silly. It would be a shame for certain European countries to give up
their national languages for a lingua franca. What my real question is though, as the world
learns English more and more, will it just be there as a lingua franca that everyone knows,
or will it start to replace the national languages of some countries?
2 persons have voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5445 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 37
03 March 2010 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
In fact the languages that are dying are doing so because of the national languages, not because of English except where English is the national language (example, indigenous languages in canada, united states and australia). So dont worry about the european countries giving up their national languages worry about the european countries replacing the minority languages, occitan in france, milanese and many more in italy, even catalan in the long run could dye for the high Spanish inmigration in its provinces.

Edited by kerateo on 03 March 2010 at 8:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5221 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 37
03 March 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
kerateo wrote:
So dont worry about the european countries giving up their national languages worry about the european countries disappearing the minority languages, occitan in france, milanese and many more in italy, even catalan in the long run could dye for the high Spanish inmigration in its provinces.
Disappearing is not used as you used it, you could say "so don't worry about the minority languages of European countries disappearing..."
And you would mean "die" in this case

I'm not trying to sound condescending, just helping a fellow language learner ;) I would hope you would do the same for me in Spanish

Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6129 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 4 of 37
03 March 2010 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
You shouldn't worry about Europeans giving up their national language to adopt English, that just won't happen. What's worrying me is the low quality standard of this new International English, in terms of vocabulary and grammar. I wonder what percentage of foreign English speakers can actually read English litterature?

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5328 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 5 of 37
03 March 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't be so sure about European countries not giving up their own languages for English. In Norway at least there's been serious debate about it, with the former head of the Norwegian Language Council saying he thought that there was a real possibility of this happening.
4 persons have voted this message useful

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6135 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 6 of 37
03 March 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I don't see how English could replace the national languages of European countries.
People lazyness will always win - while the majority of people around you have the same native language as you do, you won't just start speaking English on a daily basis, no matter how good your English is.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5328 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 7 of 37
03 March 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
But what if you use English all day at work, even with people who have the same native language as you, because that's the company's policy? (Several large Norwegian companies have been using English exclusively for internal communication for some years now...)

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6980 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 8 of 37
03 March 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
It seems nearly all international business here in China is done in English! French
companies will use English and so will German ones. Japanese companies though seem to
still favour Japanese, which is evident considering the many Chinese natives learning
Japanese (and from what I hear using it in their work place). Russian to a lesser extent
also seems worth learning due to the fact that Russians here don't usually have great
English. However, while many Chinese students take up French and German as their third
language after English, in reality, few people actually use them when they go to work in
the French or German company.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version