Joined 5457 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 17 of 37
03 March 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
kerateo wrote:
So dont worry about the european countries giving up their national languages worry about the european countries disappearing the minority languages, occitan in france, milanese and many more in italy, even catalan in the long run could dye for the high Spanish inmigration in its provinces.
Disappearing is not used as you used it, you could say "so don't worry about the minority languages of European countries disappearing..."
And you would mean "die" in this case

I'm not trying to sound condescending, just helping a fellow language learner ;) I would hope you would do the same for me in Spanish

Thanks a lot, faux amis... the last step into complete fluency.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 18 of 37
03 March 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Vinlander wrote:
Well latin and its descendants due dominate a large percentage of the earth area, eroding
over 1000 languages. Furthermore all your example were long before notions of globalization appeared. The
only era that can be compared to this century is the roman era, when aside from the east the majority of the
known world spoke latin. Of course English won't be the last language that will be spoken but it will erode
certain regions of the world. Notice how I didn't mention its influence on other areas than africa, Germanic
europe and india. Thats because Its hard to predict. It's easy to guess that English is will continue to be
important in india, with languages,

Latin does not dominate anywhere in the world anymore. Its descendants do. When Spanish, French, Portuguese
and Italian were brought to other continents, Latin was a language of the select few. In the Roman Empire Latin
was the language of the state and the army, and Latin speakers settled throughout the empire. This is not the
case with English anywhere in the world except in England's former colonies.

You say it's hard to predict, and I agree. But how can you then predict what's going to happen in Germanic
Europe, Africa and India?

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 19 of 37
04 March 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I actually have confidence that English will be used as just a lingua franca instead of
replacing new languages. From what I realized from one of the posters above is that
people are just lazy. No country is going to make English co official or replacing just
because it is practical. It would anger so many cultural and heritage groups and probably
cause problems.

Vinlander
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5632 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 20 of 37
04 March 2010 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Well why don't immigrants keep their languages when they arrive to the new world. Why because with every generation the language becomes less and less a part of their identity. It never ceases to amaze me how quick a language can be removed from immigrant families. the 1st generation can speak it but not perfectly, the 2nd sometime know a few words to talk to grandma, but it rarely gets to a fourth generation, even when its a valuable language like french or Spanish. Of course in the past this was different but the more globalized the planet becomes the harder it is to preserve culture.
I've met lots of young swedes and Indias who have little value for their language. Of course their a minority at present but i can't see this being a dieing trend. Norwegian companies already operate in English, Have English media, if their only real outlet for Norsk is through friends and family you can see its limitations. Not only will inter cultural relationships weaken the language, also will general western trends in the erosion of the importance of family and close friends.

If someone could explain to me what is really gonna stop the spread ProEnglish sentiment I would like to know it. I'm not trying to predict the future or anything crazy like that, but the trend is already in motion and can't see a way to stop it

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5233 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 37
04 March 2010 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
kerateo wrote:
Johntm wrote:
kerateo wrote:
So dont worry about the european countries giving up their national languages worry about the european countries disappearing the minority languages, occitan in france, milanese and many more in italy, even catalan in the long run could dye for the high Spanish inmigration in its provinces.
Disappearing is not used as you used it, you could say "so don't worry about the minority languages of European countries disappearing..."
And you would mean "die" in this case

I'm not trying to sound condescending, just helping a fellow language learner ;) I would hope you would do the same for me in Spanish

Thanks a lot, faux amis... the last step into complete fluency.
No problem. I never realized exactly how stupid and tricky English spelling can be until I started looking into different languages.

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 22 of 37
04 March 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Vinlander said "Swedish will be like irish is now in about a hundred years atleast to young people".

That's an interesting point. I heard that there were 200,000 fluent Irish speakers in Ireland in 1927, the year of independence from Britain. Nowadays there are about 20,000, despite (or because of) compulsory Irish education in schools.

However, assuming there were about 4 million people in Ireland in 1927, there was still a vast majority of people who couldn't speak the language. Plus English has been in the country in various degrees since about the 12th century, so it's been a while since it was thought of as an invader tongue.

This kind of unforced decline is less likely to happen in Sweden, I think, because nearly everyone in Sweden speaks Swedish.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6676 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 23 of 37
05 March 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I can get Dutch TV here in Brussels. One thing that strikes me is how much English is on Dutch TV, especially commercials. Its like every commercial has at least one English sentence in it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6083 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 24 of 37
05 March 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Advertising in much of Western Europe often depends heavily on the consumer having at least a smattering of English. This is especially true in the German/Dutch Sprachraum.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version