Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

FSI Korean Basic Course - any thoughts??

Tags: Vintage | Korean | FSI
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 9 of 13
15 April 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, I've been spending most of my time lately learning from the "Let's Speak Korean" episodes (which originally aired on Arirang TV in South Korea) and entering various sentences from this show into Anki. You can find these episodes on Youtube (I'm currently watching the season with Lisa Kelley and Stephen Revere, not the season with the Korean lady hosting). One advantage over FSI is that they teach the more common casual informal and polite informal speech levels. Also the aforementioned Stephen Revere has two language books out ("Survival Korean" and "Survival Korean: Basic Grammar") which are both quite decent and include audio CDs as well.

I started with Pimsleur as well (and went through all 60 lessons), but I sometimes wonder if my current LSK/Anki method would have been better right from the start (especially when you consider the cost of Pimsleur and the fact you can actually see the words in written form with LSK). I don't really recommend going through LSK without using an SRS, though. I tried that way at first and the information didn't seem to very stick well at all (since LSK doesn't repeat information for recall reasons the way Pimsleur does).

That said, you will be induced into having an active vocabulary with Pimsleur (since you have to produce the language) that won't happen quite as easily with many other methods, so it still has some benefits.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6634 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 10 of 13
19 April 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Check out www.speaktomeinkorean.com, which is free, and www.koreanclass101.com. Both are rather good. The first week on Korean Class is free, and you can download as much material as you want.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 13
19 April 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been spending most of my time lately learning from the "Let's Speak
Korean" episodes (which originally aired on Arirang TV in South Korea) and entering various sentences from this
show into Anki. You can find these episodes on Youtube (I'm currently watching the season with Lisa Kelley and
Stephen Revere, not the season with the Korean lady hosting). One advantage over FSI is that they teach the
more common casual informal and polite informal speech levels. Also the aforementioned Stephen Revere has
two language books out ("Survival Korean" and "Survival Korean: Basic Grammar") which are both quite decent
and include audio CDs as well.

I started with Pimsleur as well (and went through all 60 lessons), but I sometimes wonder if my current LSK/Anki
method would have been better right from the start (especially when you consider the cost of Pimsleur and the
fact you can actually see the words in written form with LSK). I don't really recommend going through LSK
without using an SRS, though. I tried that way at first and the information didn't seem to very stick well at all
(since LSK doesn't repeat information for recall reasons the way Pimsleur does).

That said, you will be induced into having an active vocabulary with Pimsleur (since you have to produce the
language) that won't happen quite as easily with many other methods, so it still has some benefits.

I have checked out LSK. It's really good! And FREE ;-) !!
1 person has voted this message useful

wonderfulsound
Korea, South
Joined 4091 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 12 of 13
15 March 2013 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Hey,
I am learning korean from the FSI course. The course teaches informal speech. It is
just introduced in the unit 3. The course is not only in formal polite speech. I am on
unit 5 and it seems like all the varying levels of politeness are touched upon even in
the drills. The course seems pretty thorough and much better than any other I've come
across.

Edited by wonderfulsound on 15 March 2013 at 1:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4757 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 13
16 March 2013 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Americano wrote:
Check out www.speaktomeinkorean.com, which is free, and www.koreanclass101.com. Both
are rather good. The first week on Korean Class is free, and you can download as much material as you want.

pbi, i think you mean www.talktomeinkorean.com instead of speaktomeinkorean

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version