Joined 6393 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 91
06 December 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Sierra wrote:

In other news, I've been offered a job in Kazakhstan. My contract here in the West Bank
is up in late December, so if I can swing a Kazakh work visa,

Ne iş yaparsın?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6914 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 42 of 91
06 December 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Ben İngilizçe oğretmenim- gezmeyi seven kişiler için çok iyi bir iştir! Ama sonuçta
teklifi almamaya karar verdim. Onun yerinde, Noelde ailemi ziyaret edip, abim oturduğun
şehre taşınmaya için Amerika'ya gideceğim. Kazakistan bekleyebilir!

(Corrections more than welcome... I need to start putting some serious effort into my
written Turkish).

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4891 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 43 of 91
07 December 2010 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Sierra wrote:
Ben İngilizçe oğretmenim- gezmeyi seven kişiler için çok iyi bir iştir! Ama sonuçta
teklifi almamaya karar verdim. Onun yerinde, Noelde ailemi ziyaret edip, abim oturduğun
şehre taşınmaya için Amerika'ya gideceğim. Kazakistan bekleyebilir!

(Corrections more than welcome... I need to start putting some serious effort into my
written Turkish).

Hello there, I just wanted to have a go for this one. A native speaker here.

If you will, I also added some notes on the grammar aspects of the words I've corrected. Overall a very good progression since April (as far as I've just seen through this thread) and reached an almost perfect syntactical comprehension in Turkish. Well done!

So here it goes:

* Ben İngilizce öğretmeni + y + im (y: buffer consonant -im: personal ending)
    As both 'İngilizce' and 'öğretmen' are nouns you need to put the -i ending after öğretmen as they form a compound word (I'm pretty sure you know this already)

* gezmeyi seven kişiler için çok iyi bir iştir... Correct!

But to sound more native I would rather rephrase it and say... 'Bu gezmeyi (or seyahat etmeyi) seven insanlar için çok güzel bir iş'

* Ama sonuçta teklifi almamaya karar verdim. Grammatically Correct!

Though you should rather use "teklifi kabul etmemeye karar verdim", I assume you were translating directly from English as I decided not to "take" the offer. In Turkish you would only "accept" or "not accept" an offer :)

* Onun yerinde, Noelde ailemi ziyaret edip, abim oturduğun şehre taşınmaya için Amerika'ya gideceğim.

Onun yerine, Noel'de ailemi ziyaret edip abimin oturduğu şehre taşınmak için Amerika'ya gideceğim.

* Onun yerine: (Literally meaning "to its place") it's not the locative ending "de" you should be using here because you're putting something new instead of an older one onto that place so there's a movement to this location that's why the -e ending.

* no comma after -ip ending

* I guess the genitive marker switched places when you were typing as it should read

abimin oturduğu şehir (the city that my brother lives - lit "my brother's lived city")

* oturmak için: As a rule you have to use "için" with the infinitive. Otherwise you could also omit için and the sentence would sound perfectly right.

abimin oturduğu şehre taşınmaya Amerika'ya gideceğim.

* Kazakistan bekleyebilir... Correct

Well done! Very impressive within 8 months! :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6914 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 44 of 91
07 December 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive corrections, Hakan!

It hadn't occurred to me that "English teacher" would be treated as a compound noun...
good to know, especially since I say it all the time. I also didn't realize that in
Turkish, one always "accepts" an offer rather than "takes" it. You're right, that was
definitely a case of me translating directly from English. I think I'll remember that
now.

I also found the notes about "için" always being used with the infinitive and "yerine"
rather than "yerinde" particularly helpful.

I think the genitive-switching was mainly a result of me being in too much of a hurry
with a grammatical construct I'm still not totally comfortable with. I'm just going to
have to bang out as many "-dik" participles as possible to make this eventually come
naturally.

In any case, your corrections were so helpful that I think I'm finally going to start
adding some short Turkish bits to this journal in hopes that you or another member can
lend a hand now and then and tell me what I've done wrong :) Today's: forthcoming.

----

In other news, I've officially met my vocab goal with 13 days remaining. By December
20th, I promised myself I'd have 750 level 5 words on Mnemosyne (I have 890 currently),
and that I would have 1,000 total words in the system (I have 1,027 after adding a
fresh batch this morning).

Booya.

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4891 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 45 of 91
07 December 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I think if I explain two points that will be of help to you and hopefully others also.

*To clarify the "İngilizce öğretmeni" a bit more I'll turn to Routledge's Comprehensive grammar... I guess the confusion comes from this:

When one forms bare compounds (consisting of two nouns juxtaposed together without any ending) you don't use the -(s)i ending when (according to the book on chapter 10) "Compounds in which the first noun specifies the nationality of the person denoted by the second noun"... As in your case if you had said:

Ben İngiliz öğretmenim that would be correct. (meaning I'm the English (as nationality) teacher.
other examples would be. Türk doktor, İsveçli öğrenci, İspanyol tenisçi etc.

But do note that these all denote persons... If they were some objects, that is non-human, then you would have to use again the -(s)i ending.

as in Türk kahvesi, Yunan uzosu, Şam fıstığı, İngiliz Sterlini etc.

And one other intriguing point I would say is that if you would go on and say

Ben İngiliz öğretmeniyim that would sound as if you are a teacher for English people.
or Türk doktoruyum. Doctor for Turkish people.

Well, İngilizce is basicly none of the above it's the English language so one should always use the -(s)i ending with the noun coming afterward.

** As I explained last night "onun yerine" has the -e ending because there's a motion onto that place, replacement of an older subject with a newer one. But what if we use "onun yerinde"? Here there is no movement, and we're stationary so this means "at his/her place". You can use this construction in the sentences like

If I were him/her: Onun yerinde olsaydım. (lit: If I would have been at his place)

Thus you could generate other combinations:

Benim yerimde   (If ...... were me)
Senin yerinde   (If ...... were you)
Onun yerinde    (If ...... were him/her)
Bizim yerimizde (If ...... were us)
Sizin yerinizde (If ...... were you)
Onların yerinde (If ...... were them)

(Note that the above "if"s come from the conjugation of the following "olmak")
You can fill in the dots with:
olsaydım (I) (lit: If I would have been)
olsaydın (You) (lit: If you would have been)
olsaydı (he/she) (lit: If he would have been)
olsaydık (we) (lit: If we would have been)
olsaydınız (you) (lit: If I would have been)
olsalardı (they) (lit: If I would have been)

I don't know though whether you know how to construct the rest of the sentence such as:
"If I were you, I would do (not do) that"
But I'll leave it for you right now so that you can have a bit of a study and check back later! :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6914 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 46 of 91
07 December 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the further clarification. Basically, "yerine" is more or less "instead" and
"yerinde" means "in your/his/her/its place"?

"If I were you, I wouldn't do that"... well, I'll take a crack at it. Would that be "
(senin) yerinde olsaydım, bunu yapmazdım"?

As far as I recall, in cases like this we're meant to take the present simple of the verb
and then add personal endings in the past tense. I'm definitely not yet at the point
where constructions like this are flowing out of my mouth flawlessly, but I'd definitely
understand it if I saw it written and I'm pretty sure what I wrote is correct.

Edited by Sierra on 07 December 2010 at 11:49am

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6914 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 47 of 91
07 December 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Something a bit longer this time... let's hope it makes sense :)

Bugün hayatımdaki en utanç verici şey hakkında yazmak istedim, ama o kadar kötü bir şey
aklıma gelmedi.

Onun yerine, birkaç Vermont'a dönmeye beni heyecanlandıran şeyleri listeye yapacağımı
zannediyorum. Ilk önce, Matt, yani abimi, çok özledim. Onun benim en büyük arkadaşım
olduğunu için onunla Kuzey Carolina'ya taşınmaya planlıyorum.

Başka birtakım özlediğim şeyler var tabii- çılgın partilere gidip açık pencerelerle
otoyoldan sürmek gibi. Döndüğümde kış olacak, ama karda bir sürü eğlenceli şeyler
var... kayak yapmak, kızakla gitmek, kartopu savaş oynamak...

Ancak çok zamandan beri soğuk bir yerde oturmuyorum. 10 dereceden daha alçak ısıya
alıştıracağım için çok zaman gerekeceği sanırım!

---

Most glaring mistakes? I have a very bad feeling about "karda" but I can't put my
finger on how else to express "in the snow"... maybe "karın olduğu zamanda" (which I
hope means more or less "when there is snow")? That sounds horribly awkward in English,
but well, so does pretty much everything when it's directly translated.

Edited by Sierra on 07 December 2010 at 12:55pm

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6393 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 91
07 December 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Hakan,

Açıklamalar için teşekkür ederim. Bu yardımcı ipuçlarıdır!

Sierra,

İyi iş yapmaya devam edin!

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version