livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6925 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 65 of 91
18 December 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Something awesome has happened!

Today is my last day in Nablus. Tomorrow, I head down to Jerusalem, where I'll spend
the night before boarding a plane to Geneva, kicking around there for two days and
getting some Christmas shopping done, then going back to the airport and flying to the
States on Wednesday. I'm planning to move to North Carolina in early January, and with
that in mind, I started poking around yesterday- applying for jobs, researching
volunteer opportunities (the refugee relocation initiative in Raleigh looks promising)
and... checking out what's going to be available in my area Turkish-wise.

UNC Chapel Hill offers Turkish courses. Unfortunately, since they aren't lecture-based,
auditing is not permitted, but I decided to get in contact with the professor in charge
of them anyway. Her name is Cangüzel Zülfikar, and she's apparently about the most
helpful person on the planet- she wrote me back all but immediately, saying she hopes I
can find a way to attend her classes and giving me a huge list of Turkish resources,
including a link to a Turkish students' society at the university which organizes
weekly meetings to discuss literature and film... in Turkish. Whoa.

She's also encouraging me to watch Hatırla Sevgili and compose weekly essays about the
show, which she'll correct for me via email. I'm about halfway through the first
episode and I think it's going to take a while to get my listening comprehension up to
snuff. It's a bit annoying when I'm quite sure that I'd understand 80%+ of what's being
said if it were in writing, but my aural comprehension is only around 25-30%. I tend to
catch the first and last words in each sentence plus the greetings and interjections,
but the majority of the real conversation is lost on me. I think it's going to be
almost entirely a question of getting my brain to keep up with the speech; I have most
of the important vocabulary, but I'm just not processing it fast enough. Anyway, I
think this will be the push I need to really set to work on my listening comprehension.
1 person has voted this message useful

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5272 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 66 of 91
18 December 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Congrats! That sounds like a great opportunity. :D

Just popping in to say I love reading your log and watching your progress through the
language. I'm starting Turkish sometime this summer, and I like getting the chance to
check out the resources you've used (the Turkish Listening Library looks great!). A quick
question: overall, would you recommend Teach Yourself Turkish?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 91
21 December 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sierra,

I will be your TAC teammate for next year 2011. This suits me well because we are both students of Turkish. I restarted learning Turkish in May 2008.

Başarılar dilerim!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 21 December 2010 at 8:03pm

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4902 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 68 of 91
25 December 2010 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Though I can't promise for sure to be around 100% in the next coming year, I'll try to be of help to you, Fasulye and
other teammates in Turkish. If you're planning on any Skype meetings let me know so I can drop by also if I can.

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6925 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 69 of 91
22 July 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Well guys, I have some terrible news and some terrific news.

The terrible news is probably pretty obvious: I haven't posted here in seven months.
Failed miserably to even get my grand TAC plans off the ground (they seem to have
exploded in the hangar, to quote Calvin and Hobbes), and spent roughly four and a half
of those months ignoring Turkish completely. There are no excuses! (But I'll throw one
out there anyway- I was embroiled in a fruitless job search in North Carolina for three
months, then taking a CELTA course in Prague for another one).

The terrific news is this: Since mid-May, I've been living in Turkey. A series of
wonderful coincidences secured me a great job here (writing for a guidebook startup on
Turkey and doing some small jobs for a web design company).

Unfortunately, back to terrible: I've been utterly lazy about my language-learning
since getting here, and I can sadly say that I learned more- probably three times more-
Turkish during three months in Palestine than I have during three months here. It's
time to sack up and get back on this train, especially since I'm in an immersion
situation which most language-learners would kill for.

My biggest problem is speaking. I'm horribly shy about it, especially with people who I
know speak far better English than I do Turkish (which is everybody in the office with
one exception). I conduct all my shop transactions and such in Turkish, but with
friends and coworkers it's all English English English. This must change. I
recently complained about this tendency in a blog post, and have since decided that I
really need to hold myself accountable by reviving this thread.

Currently reading Harry Potter ve Ateş Kadehi (which is where I left off in
Palestine... hard copy rather than PDF this time, which is much nicer). I average maybe
ten unknown words per page, including the ones I can get from context but wouldn't know
on their own. While I love Harry Potter and really enjoy reading it in Turkish, it's
not the best way to gauge my reading ability because I know the books inside and out;
it's quite possible that I'm overestimating my capabilities because the material is so
familiar. Anyway, I'm going to keep up with a chapter or two per day until I finish it,
and then look for something at a similar level which I haven't read before in any
language.

My number one goal is to stop with this stupid not-speaking nonsense. It's a two-
parter. First, I need to speak more in general, and second, when I DO speak, I need to
work on actually using the vocabulary I know I have and not responding with one-word
answers. I think- and desperately hope- that once I do this and gain a certain level of
comfort with putting together sentences in Turkish on the fly, the floodgates will
open. It frustrates me that I can sit on the windowsill after hours and compose long
sentences about things, but when someone asks me a question I panic and blurt out a
single word.

So consider Tackling Turkish officially back open for business.

...and sorry about TAC, guys :( I really dropped the ball on that one.

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6925 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 70 of 91
21 September 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Tackling Turkish log: sadly, once again neglected.
Turkish learning: fortunately, not so much.

I'm still far more shy about speaking than I should be, but I'm at least giving it a
shot now. Nothing Ever has been upgraded to thrice-weekly conversations with the
secretary at my office and attempted chatter with my boyfriend- mostly we do talk in
English, but I'm on track to change that.

I'd really like to work on my listening skills as well. I've been watching some Turkish
movies (with subtitles) and have attempted some TV shows, but generally I can't
understand much of what they say. When listening to native speakers talking in real
life, I can always identify the subject and usually about 40% of the specifics, so I
have a long way to go. People tend to think I understand more than I do, I expect,
because I often listen to Turks conversing and jump in with a comment when I understand
something- but then when they talk directly to me, I frantically think, "ok, I know
it's something about xyz, but WHAT exactly?!" Definitely need to practice listening
some more, because quite often it's just the speed which throws me off; when they
repeat it slower, I know every word.

As for writing... you guys won't believe this. There's been a lack of work at my office
lately, so my bosses set me to translating some articles English to Turkish for one of
their sites, then sending the text over to the secretary for correction. Yes, I'm
actually getting paid to work on my Turkish! I've learned a bunch of new words this
way, activated a lot of previously-passive vocabulary, and become far more comfortable
with various grammatical structures. Hell yes.

Reading- another success. I bought five books recently:

Mahrem by Elif Şafak (The Gaze)
On Küçük Zenci by Agatha Christie (And Then There Were None)
Müthiş Dahiden Hazin Bir Eser by Dave Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering
Genius)
Yıldız Tozu by Neil Gaiman (Stardust)
Küçük Şeylerin Tanrısı by Arundhati Roy (The God of Small Things)

Out of these, On Küçük Zenci (despite having a rather offensive title) is by far the
easiest going- I read 50 pages of it yesterday. I can follow the plot no problem and
miss probably 6 or 7 words per page. I'm taking a loose approach to learning these by
looking up maybe 70% of them and writing down about 5 per chapter which seem the most
useful.

After this, I'm going to move on to Küçük Şeylerin Tanrısı, which a quick glance
through the other books suggested is the second-easiest.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5666 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 71 of 91
23 September 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
This log made me want to restart learning Turkish :) Congrats on the job and finding your way to Turkey, that's incredible! Good luck!

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6925 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 72 of 91
26 September 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comment, Crush! Let me know if you start relearning Turkish :)

As I noted in my last post, speaking and listening are by far my worst areas. I'm
trying to tackle this head-on.

For listening, I've been watching movies in Turkish. I can handle Disney ones without
subtitles (recently watched two of the Shrek movies dubbed in Turkish and I'm now
watching Up)- I don't understand 100%, but I know what's going on and can catch a fair
amount of the dialogue. The next step is to get into some actual Turkish cinema, for
which I'm planning to use Turkish subtitles to supplement my understanding.

Speaking remains a source of embarrassment for me, really. My speaking is so far below
all my other skills that it's just frustrating. I can put together a decent sentence in
writing, but when it comes to saying one out loud, I just panic and can't even think of
where to start. I'm practicing more with my boyfriend, but what I really need to do is
start thinking in Turkish as much as possible. Before I can even really work on endings
and such things, I need to get to a stage where the structure of Turkish sentences is
more natural to me.

Nose, meet grindstone.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version