Netherlands
Joined 6592 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 125
25 April 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I guess that's why many Poles are pretty good at languages. Seems it's easier to understand foreign grammar if your own native language has complex grammar.

I know one Polish person here in London who speaks fluent German and good Russian (although I've not heard him speak that). He also speaks good English.
I read about a Polish woman who wanted to work as a dentist in Sweden. She learnt Swedish in six months, well enough to run a dental clinic.

I'm sure people who are dedicated succeed, but on the whole I wouldn't suggest Poles are strong at languages. I've never attended school in Poland, but I have to assume that the standard of education has to be quite poor, given the average person's level of English (it used to be that they were more interested in German but eventually English became the most important foreign language). And this seems to be reflected by something else. I was there in February and I was struck by the truly vast amount of advertising for private foreign language schools. I've never seen anything like it. So many different companies selling their services, above all for English, "business English" and things like that. It seems to suggest that the public education system is pretty deficient on this point (frankly I doubt these language schools get all that much business despite their advertising).

Edited by numerodix on 25 April 2010 at 4:45pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 125
25 April 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:
Polish has 7 cases, only one more than Russian. It has 3 genders like Russian. The pronunciation should be a bit harder because it has nasal vowels and distinction between the different qualities of "ch" sounds like Mandarin. But then according to Wikipedia, Polish words are generally stressed on the second to last syllable, unlike Russian which has mobile stress.

But Polish is deemed the "hardest language to learn" by some, and some study has showed that while children of other languages reach fluency by age 12, Polish children don't until 16.

Am I underestimating the language, or are other people overestimating it?

May I suggest that you check out this somewhat old thread about the difficulty of Polish versus Russian. Within this old thread there is an attempt to compare the "difficulty" of various features in each of Polish and Russian.

how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7898 &PN=1

I think that Polish's reputation of being difficult is partially a function of some Poles "talking up" their own language (you don't know how many times I've heard Poles tell me that their language is SO difficult), and the observations of non-Poles who think that it's also SO difficult. In my experience, I don't think that Polish is as easy or as hard as it looks ;-)
6 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 125
25 April 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I think that Polish's reputation of being difficult is partially a function of some Poles "talking up" their own
language (you don't know how many times I've heard Poles tell me that their language is SO difficult), and the
observations of non-Poles who think that it's also SO difficult. In my experience, I don't think that Polish is as
easy or as hard as it looks ;-)

I agree with Chung, it's a lot of talk from learners. However, I think Polish is JUST a bit harder than Russian. In
fact, I'd say it's a bit the same on the difficulty level, if not lower. The reason being the "EXTRA CASE" that people
make such a big deal about is the vocative, which is really really really easy to master if you know what it's used
for. Yes pronunciation can be a pain, but it just seems that way because of all the consonant clusters. The fixed
accent is indeed a "godsend". I mean, I don't really pay attention to the Russian accentuation (I probably will
later), but I just find that right now I just want a good pronunciation, and good grammar. Accentuation can come
when I listen and repeat.

So Polish is really hyped up, but I don't think it's any harder than the other Slavic languages out there.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5273 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 12 of 125
26 April 2010 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
   I don't really pay attention to the Russian accentuation (I
probably will later), but I just find that right now I just want a good pronunciation,
and good grammar. Accentuation can come

Sorry for going a little bit off topic, but my friendly advice to you ruski would be to
start paying attention to accentuation NOW! Correct stress is completely vital to good
Russian pronunciation and you need to start getting used to the patterns (there are some,
thankfully) as soon as you start learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5951 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 13 of 125
26 April 2010 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Yes, I definitely agree with TixhiiDon about accentuation. Once you have taught yourself one way to pronounce or stress a word, it is extremely difficult to change that. An example of this is with язык, which I originally though for the longest time was pronounced "yázyk." Even now that I know that it is pronounced more of "ízyk," my brain wants to pronounce it the former way whenever I read it. The lesson is that you have to learn to pronounce it right the first time!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 125
26 April 2010 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
ruskivyetr wrote:
probably will later), but I just find that right now I just want a good pronunciation,

Sorry for going a little bit off topic, but my friendly advice to you ruski would be to
start paying attention to accentuation NOW! Correct stress is completely vital to good
Russian pronunciation and you need to start getting used to the patterns (there are some,

Oh noo :(. I really hate the accentuation changes :P. I guess it's not that big of deal. My Cortina book explains it
very well, so I guess I'll go right along and use that. Thanks for the heads up though. I mean, I don't have audio
with my Cortina book, so I really need help with all the stuff I learn from that (although I do expose myself to A
LOT of Russian news).

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5951 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 15 of 125
26 April 2010 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
TixhiiDon wrote:
ruskivyetr wrote:

Oh noo :(. I really hate the accentuation changes :P. I guess it's not that big of deal. My Cortina book explains it
very well, so I guess I'll go right along and use that. Thanks for the heads up though. I mean, I don't have audio
with my Cortina book, so I really need help with all the stuff I learn from that (although I do expose myself to A
LOT of Russian news).

What I do when I need to know how to pronounce something is I put the word or phrase into a text to speech machine such as this one and can get the general idea of the pronunciation from that. Lately I mostly use it only for determining stress in Italian and German words if I'm not sure.

Another thing you could do is type up the material from the Cortina lessons and submit them as a text to be read here by native Russian speakers. That's what I do with my Swedish and Japanese lesson texts since they don't have audio.

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6284 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 125
06 May 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
I think Polish is not harder than Russian. Polish is my native language, and I learned Russian for 8 years at school. The pronunciation of Polish may be a bit tricky (all those nasals and soft letters) but the words are written in Latin script, so you don't have to learn a different alphabet.
On the other hand, the words are often pronounced slightly differently than they are written. For example a letter "ę" (I hope you will see it on you non-Slavic computers), it is an "e" with a tail. Sometimes we pronounce it similarly to French indefinite article "un", sometimes like English "an" in "angle" and sometimes like Spanish "e" (especially at the end of a sentence).
I think even more difficult is a difference between perfective and non-perfective forms of verbs. When in English you have only one form, in Polish there are two or even three forms; examples: "to go" - "iść" or 'pójść", "to wait": "czekać", "poczekać", "zaczekać". Only a few words don't have these forms, the others have, so it's like learning two words at a time, instead of one. Though with some words the meaning, especially in the future tense is nearly the same, with others not.

Edited by Przemek on 06 May 2010 at 12:55pm

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version