Pentaglot
Philippines
Joined 5681 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog, Cebuano*, Spanish, DutchC1
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 9 of 11
15 May 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Assimil Spanish really worked for me. I'm now halfway through "using Spanish" and I've received compliments about how my accent sounded like a native even if I ignored the castillian accent on the recordings.
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5243 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 10 of 11
15 May 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
It's never too late to start using Assimil. Instead of the usual bland conversations you find in most books, Assimil has quirky reading passages quite similar to the jokes you find in Readers Digest. So even if you already know quite a bit of the language, Assimil provides light reading practice with translation and lots of handy notes for the few places where you get tripped up.

I've recently been carrying around my Espagnol sans peine and reading it when I have a spare moment, just for fun. I'm up to about chapter 48. When I get to where I'm looking at the translation and notes more than once or twice per passage, I'll start using it according to the method. For the moment, it's giving me amusing content and an easy way to clarify the odd point I'm unsure about.

The key thing to remember is that Assimil isn't about learning a language, it's about assimilating it. Even if you've learned a lot of Spanish, Assimil will provide a way to let that learning sink in and become more natural. So I'd start with the beginning book and start assimilating. The one thing I'd add is that at this stage, what you'll be doing is making an informal tour of Spanish you already know, so rather than plotting to do X number of passages a day or X number of minutes or hours a day, I would start by making it the book you read in your spare time or when you feel like it would be nice to read a silly joke or two. When you get to a point where you need to actually work to understand the passages, that's when you start following the method more closely and at that point you really should only do one passage a day, per the instructions.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 11
15 May 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I have to agree with people who say it's not too late. When I started using Assimil for Italian, I was functional in the language, but spoke in an extremely unnatural and error-ridden style. I found it quite helpful.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version