Groupie
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 11
29 April 2010 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
If I've already gotten through the beginning grammar and pronunciation of Spanish, is it too late for me to try Assimil? I don't know French, so my selection is limited to the Assimil with Ease series.
1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6163 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
29 April 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Nope. It's definitely not too late. Even if it were, there's always the Using series. Using French and Using Spanish are the only two English-based ones for now.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6795 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 3 of 11
06 May 2010 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Certainly not.
Do "Spanish with ease" or without toll"

You'll be speaking Spanish (shadow a lot !)

and only thereafter: "using Spanish".

But you won't be rewarded earlier than 6 months into it.

I did this but I had done the 100 Pimsleur lessons first, which had rewarded me a lot. I could speak emlementary Spanish with a lot of vocabulary lacking. Assimil on top of that was such a pleasure, but with each lesson you get new vocabulary so that you're lost without the translation page on the right.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Silvance5
Groupie
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 

Message 4 of 11
06 May 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
That's great. I've completed my grammar workbooks, and I have a full, working knowledge of Spanish grammar, but I can't speak it for the life of me. I can't hear it either. I went ahead and purchased Spanish with Ease, so hopefully it will help me develop these skills.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 5 of 11
06 May 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
I did this but I had done the 100 Pimsleur lessons first, which had rewarded me a lot. I could speak emlementary Spanish with a lot of vocabulary lacking. Assimil on top of that was such a pleasure, but with each lesson you get new vocabulary so that you're lost without the translation page on the right.

That is useful info as I've been considering pretty much the same path. I'm nearly done with Pimsleur Spanish III (i.e., lessons 61-90) and Assimil was my most likely path for the next step.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6795 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 6 of 11
06 May 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Silvance5 wrote:
That's great. I've completed my grammar workbooks, and I have a full, working knowledge of Spanish grammar, but I can't speak it for the life of me. I can't hear it either. I went ahead and purchased Spanish with Ease, so hopefully it will help me develop these skills.

Uh...
There was no reason at all for you being able to speak Spanish after learning grammar. This is all very normal.

With Assimil, do not concentratye on the grammar, let the language sink/pour/flow in. What you've learnt will be useful at some time but learning to speak is another job than working on grammar.

ANd in addition it's much more fun !

Silvance5
Groupie
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 

Message 7 of 11
07 May 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
Silvance5 wrote:

Uh...
There was no reason at all for you being able to speak Spanish after learning grammar. This is all very normal.

With Assimil, do not concentratye on the grammar, let the language sink/pour/flow in. What you've learnt will be useful at some time but learning to speak is another job than working on grammar.

ANd in addition it's much more fun !

Am I limited to the 1 30 minute lesson a day? If I do 2 lessons a day, or 3, would I suffer from diminishing returns?

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6163 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 11
07 May 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
I used Spanish With Ease after learning for a while beforehand. I went through seven lessons a day for four days and didn't find it difficult at all. But since you seem to be more of a beginner, it might be a good idea to stick to one lesson a day, especially to absorb the sounds of Spanish, since you say you can't hear the language. Also note that you should go through each lesson multiple times.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version