Joined 5292 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 10 of 34
06 May 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
the "weeaboo"

Oh god I hate that term. Along with wapanese. Wow... so you're gonna degrade someone because they have an interest in another culture? Pathetic. (not directed at you luai) At the same time I laugh internally and sometimes out loud in their faces because, hell, half the things they use on a daily basis were created/designed in Japan. As well as most of the world.

Crap, if you're American, 98% of everything you buy has Made in China and Made in Taiwan stamped on it's backside. Virtually nothing is made in America anymore. Even more laughable is the fact that the AMERICAN FLAG!!! is made in China. Along with all those fireworks we use to celebrate the 4th.

Personally I take an interest in all cultures in one form or another. Anything different from me fascinates me, even my own culture fascinates me. (Along with all the subcultures).

So I like Japanese TV/Movies/Cartoons... yah? I also like American TV/Movies/Cartoons (sort of..., very sparingly). As well as German/French/Russian/etc. Yet I have been called wapanese because one day someone saw me heading into the Anime Club meeting at my former college. Whoop de doo. Who'd of guessed that I'd have an interest in hanging out with people with similar interests.

Had they not seen me doing that they would've considered me the All-American male.

People who degrade others disgust me.

/rant
1 person has voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 11 of 34
06 May 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Also brings up a good point, what the hell would my fellow countrymen think of me if I had gotten a degree in anthropology and lived among native tribes in jungles?

(Which would be friggin awesome)
2 persons have voted this message useful

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5581 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 12 of 34
06 May 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
I get this all the time. I am in the USA right now and I love to speak with an American accent (and I have had people tell me that I sound perfectly American). But my Indian friends always accuse me of trying to fake the accent and trying to be just fancy. It is apparently also very irritating for them to hear an American accent coming from an Indian. I guess it's because English is one of the official languages in India and so we are just used to associating an Indian face with an Indian accent. I have asked my American friends so many times if it bothers THEM and they say it doesn't, and that in fact they feel more comfortable talking to a person who speaks with an American accent.

Yeah...but I always have to be very sure that there are no Indians around when I speak with an American accent...

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 13 of 34
06 May 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
horshod wrote:
But my Indian friends always accuse me of trying to fake the accent and
trying to be just fancy.

Got news for your friends, there are a heluva lot of indian-americans who speak with
American accent (obviously), and speak none of their parents native language. Are they
trying to fake it and be fancy?

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6908 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 14 of 34
06 May 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
If you're one of the people lucky enough to be able to reproduce accents then go for it. Your friends are probably just jealous that they don't sound like a native when they speak.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 15 of 34
07 May 2010 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
Luai_lashire wrote:
the "weeaboo"

Oh god I hate that term. Along with wapanese. Wow... so you're gonna degrade
someone because they have an interest in another culture? Pathetic.

I believe it has more to do with the people who "learn" Japanese to be able to say
"super mega crystal of power" in Japanese because it shows up in their favorite anime,
say things like "kawaii ^_^" where it is unnecessary, and just talk about how Japan is
basically the best thing ever.

It's applied to people who aren't actually interested in learning culture. There's a
reason the anime fan is so derided in Japanese classes, and that's because they only
come in the first year to learn how to say "FIGHT". People who actually learn about
Japanese culture and language are way more respected (Tomato on the MOTHER 3 board.
Need I say more?).

I think it's a personally adequate term. It has nothing to do with disparaging people
who like learning about other cultures and more to do with people who think Japanese
culture consists of anime and sushi*.

*I like anime, sushi, and video games. I admit that video games are a major motivation
for being interested in Japanese. I admit that it is very cliched.

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 16 of 34
07 May 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I've had Finns jump on my case for speaking savolaismurre instead of standard Finnish. One even said to me "what the f**k is wrong with you?" But I don't care and I blow it all off. This is the dialect spoken in my favourite city (i.e. the city where I hope to spend the rest of my life) and that is why I choose to speak it. Life is faaaaar too short to bother fretting over what some jackasses think about me. :)

Oh, and I'll also add that the term "weeaboo" and "wapanese" both make me cringe. I've actually been called a "finnaboo" in the past for learning Finnish and wanting to live in Finland. Very rarely do I feel an uncontrollable urge to punch someone in the face, and 99% of the time when I do, it's somehow or another related to foreign languaes. :P

Edited by kyssäkaali on 07 May 2010 at 5:04am

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version