United States
Joined 5292 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 17 of 34
07 May 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
I believe it has more to do with the people who "learn" Japanese to be able to say "super mega crystal of power" in Japanese because it shows up in their favorite anime, say things like "kawaii ^_^" where it is unnecessary, and just talk about how Japan is basically the best thing ever.

Oooohhh. Ok. People still misconstrued me then. Yeah there were a few of those types when I took a class in Japanese, though people still thought of me as a "weaboo" even though I never once acted like that. I rarely, if ever, tell people I can speak decent Japanese. Though apparently, seeing me walk into an anime club meeting immediately got me labeled as such.

Weird.

At least I dont ever say "Kawaii"/"Fighto"/etc. But Pocari Sweat is good.   I do use the O.o face because I think it's funny.
1 person has voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6771 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 18 of 34
08 May 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
GauchoBoaCepa wrote:

As my favourite accent is the "porteño" and being a southern (my homestate has border with Argentina just being the southernmost one), sometimes the result isn't good....people stare at you as though you were a twat.

Nowadays whoever speaks Spanish here in Brazil is still seen as "cucaracha", leftist, a fella who licks Argentinian boots.

In 2008 King Juan Carlos of Spain gave to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the Don Quixote Award, established by his efforts to promote Spanish language and culture.
Lula da Silva was honored by his decision to make the Castilian language compulsory in public schools in Brazil since 2006.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 19 of 34
08 May 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
ManicGenius wrote:
Luai_lashire wrote:
the "weeaboo"

Oh god I hate that term. Along with wapanese. Wow... so you're gonna degrade
someone because they have an interest in another culture? Pathetic.

I believe it has more to do with the people who "learn" Japanese to be able to say
"super mega crystal of power" in Japanese because it shows up in their favorite anime,
say things like "kawaii ^_^" where it is unnecessary, and just talk about how Japan is
basically the best thing ever.

It's applied to people who aren't actually interested in learning culture. There's a
reason the anime fan is so derided in Japanese classes, and that's because they only
come in the first year to learn how to say "FIGHT". People who actually learn about
Japanese culture and language are way more respected (Tomato on the MOTHER 3 board.
Need I say more?).

Yeah... supposedly. But when is it ever actually used that way? I know of people who meet your description,
and I also know a lot of serious Japanese learners (nearly all of whom, btw, like anime and sushi). Generally the
term weeaboo gets applied equally to all of them. What you described is what the term was originally supposed
to mean, but like all insults, it's become more and more generalized because people use it to put down anyone
they don't like, regardless of how well it actually fits them. Now it just means, "anyone who likes anything
Japanese, who I find annoying or just dislike".

Usually the people who are serious learners who hate this term hate it because it's used to lump them into a
group with the "OMG KAWAII!!!" types, who serious learners generally despise.

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5733 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 20 of 34
08 May 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
Yeah... supposedly. But when is it ever actually used that way?
I know of people who meet your description,
and I also know a lot of serious Japanese learners (nearly all of whom, btw, like anime
and sushi). Generally the
term weeaboo gets applied equally to all of them. What you described is what the term
was originally supposed
to mean, but like all insults, it's become more and more generalized because people use
it to put down anyone
they don't like, regardless of how well it actually fits them. Now it just means,
"anyone who likes anything
Japanese, who I find annoying or just dislike".

I find that odd... I've never heard someone serious about Japanese called a "weaboo" or
a "wapanese". In fact, I know serious Japanese learners who use those very terms
against the "OMG KAWAII" type of Japanese learner. It's probably a difference in
experience.

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 21 of 34
08 May 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Lump me into the serious learners who look down on the "OMG KAWAII" group, but get's
lumped in with them by others.

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5230 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 22 of 34
09 May 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
vilas wrote:
GauchoBoaCepa wrote:

As my favourite accent is the "porteño" and being a southern (my homestate has border with Argentina just being the southernmost one), sometimes the result isn't good....people stare at you as though you were a twat.

Nowadays whoever speaks Spanish here in Brazil is still seen as "cucaracha", leftist, a fella who licks Argentinian boots.

In 2008 King Juan Carlos of Spain gave to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the Don Quixote Award, established by his efforts to promote Spanish language and culture.
Lula da Silva was honored by his decision to make the Castilian language compulsory in public schools in Brazil since 2006.

Sorry buddy, but few schools have adopted Spanish so far....his efforts to promote the language have been in vain.

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5230 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 23 of 34
15 May 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
what's wrong embracing other countries' culture as the result of the study of any language.

Edited by GauchoBoaCepa on 15 May 2010 at 9:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6283 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 24 of 34
16 May 2010 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Japanese learner here. I haven't been called "weeaboo" as far as I can recall and certainly not "wapanese", but people online have, surprisingly, expressed annoyance at the fact that I'm learning Japanese. I mention in some context or other that I'm learning Japanese and they basically say, "Oh, no, not you too." I guess it's because they think I'm doing it because it's trendy, when, really, if that were my reason, I'd have given up years ago.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version