Started too late?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
65 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 57 of 65
28 May 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Personally I do not believe at all that children can end up with a better advancement
in languages. Any age suffices, if one puts the effort therein. I would not be
surprised if a 50 year old could learn 10 languages if s/he put all effort to do so. As
said above, the main problem is probably lack of spare time and instruction. Chlidren
in the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Scandinavia are forced to learn English whether
they wish to do so or not, and they are given at least one decade of classroom
instruction, in addition they could supplement learning outside of the class should
they so wish. An adult usually does not have this option. I had a challenge for myself
that I could make one of my Dutch, Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian someday be at the
level of the English of someone who grew up in one of those countries and learnt
English as a child, and this to without my attending any sort of classroom instruction,
and I am sure that someday I could achieve this.

They also said that in chess older players cannot become grandmasters, or that
grandmasters should retire when old because their mind would decline too much. But then
there are examples like Viktor
Kortschnoj
who prove that the mind still functions well enough to perform when
one is greater than 80 years of age.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4682 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 58 of 65
29 May 2014 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
I think any 'problem' older learners have is that they become set in their ways, and
language learning requires flexibility, creativity, and lots of trial and error before we
find the methods that work best for us.

(and by older I don't mean 26!)

Most of my friends will study a language once or twice a week for a summer and then
declare "I'm not good at languages" or "I'm too old to learn languages" - when in fact
they haven't actually made the real effort that learning a language takes.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3662 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 59 of 65
29 May 2014 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

They also said that in chess older players cannot become grandmasters, or that
grandmasters should retire when old because their mind would decline too much. But then
there are examples like Viktor
Kortschnoj
who prove that the mind still functions well enough to perform when
one is greater than 80 years of age.

I had the exact same thing in mind! Yes, he is an exception, but still it is true. As Kanewai says, it's the lack of effort, and you don't need to be 50 to forget your abilities to study. I think many people finish their school days at some point, and then just get out of the learning mentality and studying habits. Anoter factor could also be your environment: if you are surrounded by friends who have given up, you tend to give up yourself.
I thought that language learning is one of the best ways to keep the mind young, holding on to your memory etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4415 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 60 of 65
29 May 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Until very recently, kids in Scotland didn't receive any foreign language instruction in school until the age of 12. Many people thought this was "too late" and one of the reasons why our country isn't overflowing with speakers of other languages. Twelve? Too late? Some of the world's best musicians hadn't started playing at that age.

Now we start teaching our children languages a few years earlier but don't bet on this approach bearing much fruit. No doubt the new argument will be "it's no good starting French lessons at 9. Look at Sweden, their English classes begin in nursery"

But in truth, the age you start at has little impact on the end result. It's the underlying personal desire and expectations of wider society, together with a healthy amount of real-life exposure that truly determine whether or not you will successfully learn a language.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5269 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 61 of 65
29 May 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
You would definitely have your work cut out for you, but if you
really had the time and energy, perhaps it could be done, to learn 40 languages to some
sort of fluency. Let's think about this a moment:

English
German
Dutch
(West) Frisian
Swedish
Danish
Norwegian
Icelandic
Old English
Afrikaans
Yiddish

French
Spanish
Italian
Portuguese
Romanian
Latin

Polish
Czech
Russian
Ukrainian
Croatian
Bulgarian

etc

Just by learning these you would be over halfway there! The trick would be to learn the
languages by family groups, and work the major family groups. In this way, one does not
have to spend as much time memorizing vocabulary, and would be able to learn the
languages to some sort of fluency at a faster rate. It would still require a lot of
time and dedication, but if someone really wanted to do so, it could perhaps be done.

The paradox with languages is that they are most easily learnt when one is young, but
one has the most freedom to learn languages (financially, independence, etc) when one
is older.   

I like this advice, the language group/associated languages route. Where I beg to
differ is learning languages at a young age. I had very little discipline and
understanding of languages when i was younger. I learn much better now that i'm in my
late 30s. That's not necessarily an age thing tho, rather a maturity travelling down
the road of learning in terms of what i should and shouldn't do with regards to
learning. Starting younger is a wise idea when one wants to learn so many languages,
and had I started properly at 13 (not imaginary ideas of learning) then i'd be in a
MUCH better position today BUT only because I simply would have started earlier, NOT
because I was younger. I learn better now and I think as I said it's nothing to do with
age but more to do with maturity, experience and motivation.

From the "Fluent in 3 Months" website:
Why adults are better learners than
kids

I'm not here to take the steam out of the original poster's idea, I'm simply offering
the other side that adults can learn just as well if not better than kids... However I
agree start younger and then you are in a MUCH better position to cover a lot more
ground!

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3914 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 62 of 65
29 May 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
robsolete wrote:
You're 13. Relax.

Attack French and Spanish for now. They're fantastic languages and you can help your
friends with their homework. Practice guitar. Meet a lot of girls. Have fun.

When you're a senior in high school start working on a more exotic language with a
different script. Shop around, then go from there.

Just, coming from someone who was faaaaar too serious about studying (sadly not
languages) at 13, enjoy your freedom to be irresponsible. It'll be gone before you know
it.

I couldn't agree with this more.

I'm 18 now, graduating high school in 17 school days. It's hard to believe I've been in
school for almost 12 years... I sit back and wonder where the time has gone.

Enjoy your childhood/teenage years while you have them. I'm moving on to college, and
to be quite honest, I'm pretty scared. I know that if I fail there is NO going back. I
have no choice but to succeed. Enjoy everything you have. Surround yourself with
languages if you have the opportunity, but I wouldn't lock yourself in a room and study
continuously. If there are exchange students at school, become friends.

Languages have opened so many doors to new relationships, friendships, and a new way of
thinking. Just being bilingual will really open doors for you.

Enjoy everything while you have it, it's one thing I entirely regret. The invention of
videogames.

I got my first system when I was in 3rd grade (way later than other kids) and I can
definitely say those things ruin childhoods. I wish I would have never got it. So many
kids locked inside on a beautiful day, doing what? Pushing buttons, doing nothing
productive. Kids still do it today. They don't even want to go outside. It's a shame.

Studying languages is much much more productive (You can make a friend!:D) but I guess
it's the same concept. Enjoy the time while you have it. Go outside, run around, enjoy
the world around you. At the age of 13, you can learn so much about so many people, how
to interact, manners, body language, everything that will prepare you for a bright
future in a career. The more time you spend around people, the better you will be.

I honestly miss the days of going to the pool, running around outside playing tag after
dinner, and not having homework. (little, if any :D) It's hard to realize what you've
missed and what you wished you could have done, but I'll have to grow up someday and be
a responsible grown man. :D

My advice: Study when you have some free time (when your friends can't play, it's
raining, etc) and the rest of that time, spend out in the world. You can meet a new
friend everyday, and who knows, they might speak a different language.

You have so much to see and learn at your age, don't let anything pass you by. :)

Best of luck to you in all of your studies, if you have the true will power, it is
definitely possible.

-Jordan

For that, I thank everyday my parents. They didn't buy any of the videogames I asked
for, but they bought bikes, rollers, skates and pretty much every toy that demanded
being outside to play... so I had a very intense childhood, with a lot of activities, I
even have done some bike offroad (crossing small rivers and stuff)

I fear for children nowadays. Here in Brazil, we see all of them, each one with his/her
smartphone, talking to people outside their imediate cicle... all connected and all
alone at the same time... I feel sorry for them.

I also see some couples doing that... each one in his/her phone... my god... when did
it go wrong?

Edited by Cristianoo on 29 May 2014 at 9:41pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 63 of 65
29 May 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I noticed that the OP dates back to 01 May 2010. How many languages has the author learned since? Unless I
missed something I wonder if this hasn't been one of those "Gee whiz, I want to learn 25 languages in the next ten
years like you polyglots" stories. Then we never hear from the OP again.

I consider most of the discussions about age rather useless because the facts are pretty straightforward, i.e.

1. It's best to start young. You have a head start, especially for accent.
2. It's extremely rare for an adult learner to acquire a native-like accent.
3. You can't do anything about your age, so do the best you can.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 65
29 May 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
The OP has been missing in battle for 1000 days or so we are not likely to hear the answer from him.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version