bertlanguage
United States
Joined 5128 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 9
07 May 2010 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm at the first revision lesson in New French With Ease. It says to remember a list of words.

Have any of you written these down during the passive phase to help with future recall?

I am so tempted to write down the nouns and articles so that I don't forget whether they are masculine or feminine.

Should I just continue to read and listen without writing anything down?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 9
07 May 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
bertlanguage wrote:
I'm at the first revision lesson in New French With Ease. It says to remember a list of words.

Have any of you written these down during the passive phase to help with future recall?

I am so tempted to write down the nouns and articles so that I don't forget whether they are masculine or feminine.

Should I just continue to read and listen without writing anything down?

Thanks

I think it was Ardaschir who said about Assimil courses that you should "add salt to taste". If it will help you remember the genders, then do so.

Andy.

Edit: Although to answer your original question, I haven't written them down.

Edited by Andy E on 07 May 2010 at 10:17pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 9
08 May 2010 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
In the second wave I wrote each new word from the second wave lesson on a flip card - with hindsight I wish I had done so at each seventh day revision as I would have built my vocabulary more quickly. If you have a flip-card type program I think you would benefit using the revision day as a time to enter vocabulary - but be warned some lessons have alot of new words in them (up to 50 quite early on)!

The 1940s 'French Without Toil' (which I did side by side with 'New French With Ease') gave you all the words used in the previous seven lessons in the revision lesson with the expectation that you went through them and mastered them. In fact the supplementary exercises in Without Toil become quite involved when you get to about lesson 60.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6647 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 4 of 9
08 May 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Many of those words will be reused in later lessons. Why not give yourself a chance to learn them without effort later on?

I'm a fan of anki (and SRS in general) but I think srsing assimil from the start defeats the purpose. It's great for building a foundation without cramming, so I don't try to make it any harder.

maaku
United States
Joined 5369 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 

Message 5 of 9
08 May 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Learn the words, but you shouldn't have to put them in Anki. The Assimil text is specifically structured so that you will see them again in short order.

bertlanguage
United States
Joined 5128 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 6 of 9
08 May 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
In the second wave I wrote each new word from the second wave lesson on a flip card - with hindsight I wish I had done so at each seventh day revision as I would have built my vocabulary more quickly. If you have a flip-card type program I think you would benefit using the revision day as a time to enter vocabulary - but be warned some lessons have alot of new words in them (up to 50 quite early on)!

The 1940s 'French Without Toil' (which I did side by side with 'New French With Ease') gave you all the words used in the previous seven lessons in the revision lesson with the expectation that you went through them and mastered them. In fact the supplementary exercises in Without Toil become quite involved when you get to about lesson 60.

Elexi,

Are you saying you wish you would have written down each new word at the seventh day revision during the "passive" phase?

I also have French Without Toil. How did you organize your lessons doing them side by side? Did you do one lesson New French and one lesson Toil the same day or did you do a NFWE lesson one day and FWoT the next? Do you think it helped or hindered the learning process? Assimil recommends 1 lesson per day to optimize learning.     

Edited by bertlanguage on 08 May 2010 at 7:18pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 9
09 May 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I think with hindsight I would have used the 7th day to compile a vocab list that I would revise if I had the time - of course you don't need to - but as vocabulary is so important I personally would have done so.

As to Without Toil - I did the two books together - lesson by lesson. By about lesson 70 I did them every other day as they are quite involved. Without Toil goes faster than New With Ease - for example, you are into the conditional when With Ease is on the future tense - but I found they supplement each other very well.   

bertlanguage
United States
Joined 5128 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 8 of 9
09 May 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Elexi,

So one lesson of both (two lessons total) per day until you got to lesson 70, and then one lesson of both (2
lessons total) every other day?

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version