Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5135 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 1 of 13
15 May 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Please anyone who speaks the two languages - I would like to start learning Chinese or Japanese this year and then start with the other one in a couple of years. My question is -

Is it better (or easier) to learn first Chinese and then Japanese or is it the other way round? In terms of pronounciation, characters, etc.

Thank you very much for your advice!
1 person has voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6267 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 2 of 13
16 May 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I don't speak both languages (and you'll probably find that very few people do!), but I'll go ahead and post my response to a similar question in another thread:

Quote:
I would say learn whichever one you would rather learn first, rather than which one would be more "efficient" or whatever to learn first. The reason is that these languages are so demanding that, by the time you become fluent in one, you might not have the drive or motivation to get through the other! I've spent quite a lot of time on Japanese and I still have trouble with some fairly basic things, let alone advanced things. I can't imagine doing it all over again with Mandarin...

Yes, I know right now you have a strong desire to learn both of them. The question is, are you still going to have that desire in a few years? :) Mind you, it's quite possible. I'm just skeptical of the likelihood of it.

If you don't know which one you'd prefer, perhaps you should dabble in both for a bit to get a feel for them, and then you might have an easier time deciding. I definitely wouldn't try to keep learning both at the same time, though, because learning just one of them at a time is demanding enough.

As for which is easier to learn first, that's a difficult question, and even people who have learned both are quite likely to disagree, because the challenges that the two languages present are so different. For example, Japanese pronunciation is far, far easier than Mandarin, since Japanese doesn't use tones and it doesn't have many sounds that are completely alien to English speakers. Chinese grammar is certainly more similar to English grammar, at least at first, but as your studies progress, it'll probably seem less and less like English. Some people think the Japanese writing system is harder because the characters tend to be used with a wide variety of pronunciations. For instance, the character 上 can be read "ue", "jou", "shou", the verbs "ageru", "agaru", and "noboru"... and, occasionally, other ways. In Mandarin Chinese, as far as I know, it's read "shàng", and only "shàng". However, Chinese probably tends to use a wider variety of characters than Japanese does.

You will probably also find that the two languages have completely different difficulty curves. You might find Chinese to be quite difficult at first, but get easier as you go on, and you might find Japanese to be easy at first and become harder as you go on. Or you might find the reverse... who knows? Different people likely have different experiences here, so it's probably difficult to judge.

Edited by furrykef on 17 May 2010 at 12:55am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5135 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 

Message 3 of 13
16 May 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot furrykef! Thats very useful, thank you for your remarks.

longwood
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 4 of 13
16 May 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
As a learner of Japanese for 6 years now, I would recommend working on Chinese first and then Japanese. While
the pronunciation may be easier in Japanese the grammar is much more difficult. As far as the written language is
concerned - I would say Chinese is easier. Japanese has three written languages and even though they use similar
characters to Chinese, they have multiple readings. If you have equal feelings towards the countries and their
languages then I would go with Chinese first. Although, if you have a stronger interest in a particular country, then
I would study that language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5135 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 

Message 5 of 13
16 May 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you!

Well I have another doubt - it seems to me (but I dont know the resources well yet) that there are more and better resources for learning Japanese, is that true? For example when one wants to learn the characters (kanji or hanzi) there are books like this http://www.kanji.koohii.com/ which look quite good. Is it maybe because Chinese became popular only very recently?

longwood
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 6 of 13
16 May 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure the popularity of Japanese in the 1980s sparked the production of various language programs/materials.
For Chinese they also have similar books: Remembering the
Hanzi. While there may be more choices for Japanese, it doesn't mean that they are necessarily better than
the ones available for Chinese. I think either language will have enough material to keep you busy.

Edited by longwood on 16 May 2010 at 5:22pm

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5314 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 7 of 13
16 May 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
I've found that a lot of Japanese learning materials are fairly top notch. I can't say
why specifically that is, but my guess is that a lot of nerdy-type people like
Japanese, and they're also the types of people who tend to try to optimize/share
they're learning materials/techniques. Anki was made by a Japanese learner. Just
speculating though, but they're a lot of high quality commercial/free resources for
Japanese.

But like you said, there is stuff for Hanzi (Chinese) as well as Kanji (Japanese). I've
read the Hanzi version of Heisig's book isn't as good as the Kanji one, but I know
these Meanings/dp/0982232403">two Characters-Revolutionary/dp/080483816X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=
books&qid=1274022913&sr=1-
1">books
have been recommended.

As to the initial question, I would also say go for whichever one you are most
interested in, for similar reasons as furrykef. Learning a language is a lot of work,
especially for your first foreign language, and motivation is very important. Long term
efficiency only matters if you make it to the long term. You'll be more motivated if
you pick the language that interests you more regardless of difficulty, and then the
second language will be easier once you've already gotten the first under your belt.
That's what I've been experiencing anyway.

EDIT: Links look broken to me, here are the full URLs
http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Characters-Learn-Remember-Mean ings/dp/0982232403
http://www.amazon.com/Tuttle-Learning-Chinese-Characters-
Revolutionary/dp/080483816X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s= books&qid=1274022913&sr=1-1

Edited by Akalabeth on 16 May 2010 at 5:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5135 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 

Message 8 of 13
16 May 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot! Those links look very useful. It seems its gonna be Chinese first :)

Btw. it would be my 6th foreign language, even though it has nothing to do with the previous ones. Its gonna be a great adventure, thank you

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version