Joined 6267 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 9 of 13
17 May 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
longwood wrote:
Japanese has three written languages

I'm baffled that you've studied Japanese for six years, and yet you find the "three written languages" thing to be a hindrance at all. I haven't studied it nearly that long and I find that the use of two other scripts to be a mere trifle compared to learning kanji, let alone the other challenges that Japanese presents.

The "multiple readings per kanji" thing is indeed a problem, though.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6563 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 13
17 May 2010 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Quote:

The "multiple readings per kanji" thing is indeed a problem, though.

This is mainly a problem if you learn kanji without learning vocabulary. If you already know the word, you'll have
little trouble knowing how to pronounce the kanji when you see it in context — even if it is being used in an
unorthodox way. (And many Japanese writers enjoy using unusual kanji for certain words.)
1 person has voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6267 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 11 of 13
17 May 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
The flip side of that, Captain Haddock, is that the multiple readings of kanji can make it harder to learn new words in the first place! It also makes it a pain to look up a word that you don't already know, even if you know the constituent kanji. (What I do is I just write the kanji in an IME pad, but what if you don't know how to write the kanji yet, or worse, you don't have a computer?)

Although people generally advise against studying kanji readings in isolation, I'm actually considering it, because I find new Japanese vocabulary difficult to remember, much more than I do for other languages. If I had mnemonics for readings, the problem might not be so bad.

- Kef

efeilliaid
China
Joined 4975 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 12 of 13
19 September 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to say that if you can, try and live for a while in Japan, China, Taiwan...
See what it's like.
I myself already know that I don't want to continue my Mandarin studies - my level is
between non-existent and very basic ha ha :) I have lived in mainland China for three
months and I feel it's time to go back to my beloved Japan (kanji OK, speaking shaky,
generally reading not so poor) or at least to Hong Kong which is much more... oh well...
you are you and I am me, so see for yourself - it may help you solve your dilemma better
than anything else. I'm going to continue with Japanese and hopefully reach a very good
level in a few years. I think it would be cool to speak/read/write Mandarin but I don't
even think it sounds nice anymore. I'd rather learn Korean and/or Cantonese instead. I
can only wonder what my attitude would be if I had tried to settle down in Taiwan instead
of China (oops! I'm asking for trouble)...

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6089 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 13 of 13
20 September 2010 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
Some people think the Japanese writing system is harder because the characters tend to be used with a wide variety of pronunciations. For instance, the character 上 can be read "ue", "jou", "shou", the verbs "ageru", "agaru", and "noboru"... and, occasionally, other ways. In Mandarin Chinese, as far as I know, it's read "shàng", and only "shàng". However, Chinese probably tends to use a wider variety of characters than Japanese does.

You got me thinking so I looked it up. Looks like 上 can also be read with a third tone in the word 上聲。Learn something new every day.

For me, that hardest thing about Japanese is remembering how a given Kanji is pronounced in a given context. Lots of great study materials for Japanese though; just need to work through it.

Edited by jimbo on 20 September 2010 at 2:44am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version