India
Joined 4828 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 185 of 197
06 March 2014 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

But you obviously weren't there in 1985.

By 1985, I presume you are referring to the anti-Sikh riots that happened when the then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, was assasinated by her Sikh bodyguards.
Edit: I feel for my Punjabi brothers. The way the administration of Rajiv Gandhi bungled the situation in Delhi is criminal. The perpetrators went unpunished. Phoolka, the lawyer who fought for the victims in court, argues that this encouraged communalism leading to more riots in Gujarat and UP.
Jeffers wrote:

Even the most peaceful of places have been touched by communalism.

Every country is different. In the US, you have problems that manifest themselves along racial lines.
The 2011 riots prove that the UK has similar issues.
In India, our troubles often take on a communal colour.
But it is naive to suggest that there was complete harmony among communities in India once and somehow there is no harmony today.

Edited by napoleon on 06 March 2014 at 5:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 186 of 197
06 March 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
I mentioned the 1984 riots because they affected even Mussoorie, which generally has
escaped communalism. (I got the year wrong in my post before).

There is quite a huge difference in the type and scale of the rioting in India in
comparison to the USA and the UK. The level and widespread extent of the violence is
just not comparable. In 1984 Sikhs were the ones under attack. In 1991 (I believe)
(EDIT it was 1992).
there were riots between Muslims and Hindus all over India after the Babri Masjid was
torn down. Both of these cases were widespread, and deadly to the people on the
receiving end. The 1984 riots resulted in upward of 8,000 deaths.

In 2002 there were riots mostly localised in Gujarat, between Muslims and Hindus, but
mostly against Muslims. According to official numbers, "only" about 790 Muslims and
254 Hindus died.

According to your link, 5 people died in the 2011 UK riots. The most famous recent
race riots in the USA were the 1992 riots in Los Angeles. They were essentially
confined to LA, and resulted in 58 deaths. That was considered one of the worst riots
in the USA. There was other rioting in the 1960s and a bit in the 1970s, but I'm not
old enough to remember them. My point is that comparing the UK and USA race riots to
the communal problem in India is like comparing a cat to a tiger.

napoleon wrote:

But it is naive to suggest that there was complete harmony among communities in India
once and somehow there is no harmony today.

I think that's probably true.

EDIT: Reading this over, it looks like I'm attacking India. In fact, I have been in
riot areas in India during 1992 and 2002, and it was very scary even though I wouldn't
have been targeted. I happened to be away for a few months in 1984, but I saw the
aftermath. Nevertheless, most of the time I feel much safer in India than I do in the
USA and UK.

Edited by Jeffers on 06 March 2014 at 2:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 187 of 197
06 March 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Lugubert wrote:
Yes, Landour, April 2003.

I was living in Mussoorie at the time. In fact, I'm pretty sure that summer I took Hindi
lessons with Chitranjan Das himself (but probably in July).

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5873 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 188 of 197
06 March 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Luso wrote:
Outsiders tend to have a less biased take on things.

This is not always true.
I throw at you Edward Said's book Orientalism which shows how the biases of Outsiders influence their "take on things". :-) LOL
Peace!

The expression "tend to have" itself conveys the feeling of "not always", my friend. So, it's true.

I like Orientalism. In fact, as a longtime learner of Arabic language and culture, this is one of the books you better read.

You bring one very interesting point to the discussion, which is the value of propaganda: since immemorial times, portraying your opponent as barbaric and your actions as "civilising" has paid a lot of dividends, whether to your own people or to your rivals closer to home. The Romans were very good at this, for instance. The scrambles for America, Africa, Asia, etc., were just the same, elevated to an art form, unfortunately.

We have many very current examples of such image-building, but I won't dignify them by pointing them out. Every new event brings a "there they are at it again".

We just have to play our little part in dispelling them.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 189 of 197
06 March 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:

You bring one very interesting point to the discussion, which is the value of propaganda:
since immemorial times, portraying your opponent as barbaric and your actions as
"civilising" has paid a lot of dividends, whether to your own people or to your rivals
closer to home. The Romans were very good at this, for instance. The scrambles for
America, Africa, Asia, etc., were just the same, elevated to an art form, unfortunately.

Very true. And right now Russia is in Ukraine for humanitarian purposes. Meanwhile,
Europe is concerned about democracy, not the future price of gas, right? Ha!

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4056 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 190 of 197
06 March 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
You're right of course fellows that it adds but little, hence my reticence in writing a
thoughtful reply. Though that has more to do with the idiocy of the arguments put forth
by Gemuse here. He tries to tell us that “Hindu” can be used in a civilisational sense
and yet I'm to explain this to Jains and Sikhs (Muslims, Parsis, Jews, Adivasis etc too
one supposes). Why not admit your usage was just wrong? If it was so self evident I
wouldn't have to explain it to Indians would I? This is as moronic as the phrase that
Sanskrit is a “Hindu language”.

I think his comments are quite revealing though: apparently left wingers (that mythic
anti-hindu phenomenon) is somehow depreciating Hindu culture (whatever that means).
Serious riots are brushed aside (and by another poster subject to a pithy et tu quoque
fallacy and some false equivalency as if the troubles in Lozelles were anything like
the Gujurat riots!). What is very telling, however, and frankly offensive is the blithe
assumption as to my background.

“Go live in the country for a few years before spewing leftwing anti-Hindu propaganda.”

How arrogant! To assume where I'm from or where my knowledge comes from! My own life
experiences! Ignorant too to assume anyone who disagrees with you is somehow anti-Hindu
or propagandistic or misinformed. Wow. So, yes, given this idiot I'm quite happy to
refrain from continuing this discussion. I'll even bring the thread back on track by
addressing the OP's question, largely synthesising things we've learnt in this thread
but also opening up some stuff I've long been ruminating on but no one has brought up.
Meanwhile maybe Gemuse can go back to http://www.reddit.com/r/bakchodi/

I think the question of “why isn't Hindi popular?” is basically asking the wrong kinds
of question. Popular for who? India isn't a monolithic entity, why not start there? The
problem is getting data in India is pretty damn difficult when it comes to language.
Many people who speak not a word apparently will list their language as Hindi for
political/religious reasons and Hindi is more a confluence of related dialectical
features than a singular language. I'd be interested in seeing numbers for people using
proper khari bholi though. Also the line between dialect/language in India is even more
politicised as normal. Merwari has recently been re-classified as a dialect of Hindi
rather than a language despite having undergone divergent phonological and
morphological changes....several centuries ago. So are these Hindi speakers? Not in any
meaningful sense. Statistics are useless, hence my asking other posters.

That said there has been a spread of Hindi via Bollywood. I asked, a few pages back, at
the influence of English medium education on the indigenous vernaculars. I'm glad of
the responses but I really want to know is how much of Hindi's post Braj literary
culture is being passed on? And how is Hindification hampering/helping this? Either way
the Indians are learning Hindi and given the size of India that's non negligible.

The other big grouping are the diaspora. The diaspora is weird. In the third, and in
some cases fourth, generation in most places their families often left pre
establishment of India. There's also a lot of commingling across case, religious, class
and linguistic ties. So for example I know an X who has a Punjabi and Gujarati parent
but speaks Hindi, another of Bengali descent who again learnt Hindi. Basically given
this extreme confluence many are getting in touch with their roots not by learning
their actual mother tongue (especially because their parents tend to be illiterate in
them) but turning to Hindi given its perceived prestige and wealth of classes and
materials.

So, basically, I think Hindi is quite popular if you take a step back and not look at
it through solely Western eyes. The natives and the diaspora are sizeable. I get that
largely non Indians are meant but we need to bear all this in mind and most of the
diaspora identify with India as the place of their (and their forebears) culture not as
a nation state - there is a crucial difference, so they definitely count.

I think very few Westerners learn Hindi due to India's reputation. Both the bad which
people would rather avoid (and many, it seems, would like to pretend doesn't exist) and
the fact that extensive familiarity with English tends to de-incentivize learning it.
Many Indians seem to speak excellent English (reputation, not necessarily fact) and
this coupled with the variegated linguistic situation seems to make it not seem worth
it. I think Hindi would do better if people were more insistent on the prestige of its
literary/poetic culture. But I've typed too much again.
3 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4828 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 191 of 197
06 March 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
The expression "tend to have" itself conveys the feeling of "not always"...

Touché! :-) LOL
@Jeffers: This exchange has been terribly stimulating. We went from the politics of languages in India to bilingulism in Indian schools. We discussed the Sanskrit situation and finally got to communalism.
If I don't stop now, I'll never get any work done.
:-)

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 192 of 197
06 March 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Luso wrote:

You bring one very interesting point to the discussion, which is the value of propaganda:
since immemorial times, portraying your opponent as barbaric and your actions as
"civilising" has paid a lot of dividends, whether to your own people or to your rivals
closer to home. The Romans were very good at this, for instance. The scrambles for
America, Africa, Asia, etc., were just the same, elevated to an art form, unfortunately.

Very true. And right now Russia is in Ukraine for humanitarian purposes. Meanwhile,
Europe is concerned about democracy, not the future price of gas, right? Ha!

Lykeio wrote:
How arrogant! To assume where I'm from or where my knowledge comes from! My own life experiences! Ignorant too to assume anyone who disagrees with you is somehow anti-Hindu or propagandistic or misinformed. Wow. So, yes, given this idiot I'm quite happy to refrain from continuing this discussion.

OK, folks, what's up with the politics? Please keep in mind the house rules:

Quote:
RELIGION & POLITICS
No religion, no politics - house rules. Like a barman in a saloon, I ask you not to discuss politics and religion in this forum, but only languages.

In practice, individual moderators will sometimes allow a tiny amount of wiggle room for language politics, but only if:

1. The discussion is genuinely interesting from a language-learning perspective.
2. Everybody remains scrupulously polite, and doesn't just start making sarcastic remarks. In other words, you can talk about the politics, politely, insofar as they have something to do with language learning—but if you feel compelled to argue the politics, please reconsider.

If you want to engage in partisan political arguments, you can visit 98% of the comment sections on the web. At HTLAL, we try to avoid every thread degenerating into politics. I'm going to leave this thread open for now, but please dial the politics way back.
Thank you.

Edited by emk on 06 March 2014 at 4:48pm

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version