Groupie
Greece
Joined 5183 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 1 of 15
21 May 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Watching foreign movies and reading subtitles in the same language simultaneously is a very good way to develop listening comprehension.The problem is that such films are hard to come by over the internet.Any resources?
1 person has voted this message useful

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5143 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 15
21 May 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
You may be able to find subtitles on the film's original language on subtitles sites, such as opensubtitles.org .

ember
Triglot
Groupie
CyprusRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5213 days ago

63 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, French, Greek, Polish

Message 3 of 15
21 May 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
For the two languages in your profile: Russian movies and Russian subs for Hollywood movies, Movies and TV in English (this one has subs for most movies/tv shows in a variety of languages, which I find extremely useful)

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5183 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 4 of 15
21 May 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
This thread is not about translation.The movie and the subtitles need to be in the same language.Russian movie,russian subtitles.English movie,english subtitles.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6282 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 5 of 15
21 May 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
What's infuriating is when you get a DVD with, say, a Spanish dub and Spanish subtitles... and they're two completely different translations. I'd be watching The Simpsons in Spanish if it weren't for this...

5 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 15
21 May 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
What's infuriating is when you get a DVD with, say, a Spanish dub and Spanish subtitles... and they're two completely different translations. I'd be watching The Simpsons in Spanish if it weren't for this...

Often they have to be different translations for practical reasons. I know a woman who does subtitles for Czech movies, and she said it is much harder than dubbing because of the limits on screen space for the subtitles and the fact that many people read slowly so would soon fall behind pace of the spoken word. Her skill, then, is to take a long spoken sentence and compact it into an equivalent written one with the non-essentials stripped away.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6055 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 15
21 May 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I have found a lot of DVDs just from my ordinary collection that have pretty good
subtitles in a target language. Not necessarily word by word, but quite good
nonetheless.

Following are the DVDs I have tried and found quite good:
-Charmed (Spanish & Italian)
-Stargate Ark of Truth (Spanish & Italian)
-Harry Potter (German, Italian & Spanish)

I also tried Bewitched in German and Spanish, but that wasn't very good in terms of
subtitles. Very different from the dialogue.

2 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6282 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 8 of 15
22 May 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Often they have to be different translations for practical reasons. I know a woman who does subtitles for Czech movies, and she said it is much harder than dubbing because of the limits on screen space for the subtitles and the fact that many people read slowly so would soon fall behind pace of the spoken word. Her skill, then, is to take a long spoken sentence and compact it into an equivalent written one with the non-essentials stripped away.

I don't think it's necessary for The Simpsons in Spanish, though. I've watched TV in Spanish with closed captioning that almost always exactly matched the spoken dialogue; it would only occasionally be different, and the similarity was usually enough to catch what was actually said. I also usually had no problem reading it quickly enough even though I'm far from native level in Spanish; I can only imagine a native speaker would have no trouble with it.

I think the most likely reason The Simpsons had two different translations is because, when you're dubbing dialogue, you need to match the lip movements, which often means sacrificing an ideal translation.

It could also happen because the subtitles and dubbing might have previously been done by different groups (e.g., dubbing for one country and subtitling for a different country, which will likely be done by different agencies).

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version