Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5628 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 9 of 15
22 May 2010 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I used this method for learning Spanish. Originally I just watched a Dvd series (Cheers was the first one I used) in English with Spanish subtitles. Eventually (probably season 2) I moved to watching it in a Spanish dub with English subtitles. Next (season 3) was Spanish and Spanish and finally just Spanish dub or Spanish dub with English subtitles so I could compare my personal translation and pick up any unknown words from the English subtitles

I really found this to be effective and I'm attempting to do it with Korean now. Eventually when my Korean is better I will move onto Korean with Korean subtitles. I'm still only a low-intermediate level so it's beyond me at the moment but in a more similiar language to your own you can probably start the later methods earlier due to the shared/similar vocabulary.

I have to agree though that the difference in the subtitles and the dub can be annoying. At first it's a bit of an aid, but eventually when you notice the differences and your listening improves, it becomes an annoyance but at least it validates your understanding/comprehension of the language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6578 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 15
22 May 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
What's infuriating is when you get a DVD with, say, a Spanish dub and Spanish subtitles... and
they're two completely different translations. I'd be watching The Simpsons in Spanish if it weren't for this...

In this case, you want closed captioning (for the hard of hearing), not subtitles.
1 person has voted this message useful

Wise owl chick
Ecuador
Joined 5128 days ago

122 posts - 137 votes 
Studies: English

Message 11 of 15
22 May 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
furrykef wrote:
What's infuriating is when you get a DVD with, say, a Spanish dub and Spanish subtitles... and
they're two completely different translations. I'd be watching The Simpsons in Spanish if it weren't for this...

In this case, you want closed captioning (for the hard of hearing), not subtitles.

Yes, like the BBC, it's great for the subtitles in the same language and exactly what the people say. German TV doesn't this, unfortuanetly, I don't knwo how the German deafs can understand their own country's programmes (?)

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6282 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 12 of 15
24 May 2010 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:

Do DVDs have this? I was under the impression that they just used subtitles as a substitute.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 15
25 May 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
In the UK, the term "closed captions" doesn't exist -- it's all subtitles, regardless of language. You'll see "English (HOH)" or "English for hard of hearing" in the subtitles boxout on the back.
2 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5401 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 14 of 15
26 May 2010 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
I do have a slight difficulty hearing and when I watch TV or movies in my native language,English,I like to use the closed captioning if it is available.I also use it when watching the Spanish telenovelas. I believe it has helped me a lot with reading comprehension primarily, and, secondarily for listening comprehension. But be aware that whether in English or Spanish the closed captions often leave out what someone has decided are nonessential words.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5593 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 15 of 15
20 June 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
"What's infuriating is when you get a DVD with, say, a Spanish dub and Spanish subtitles... and they're two completely different translations. I'd be watching The Simpsons in Spanish if it weren't for this..."

I noticed this too, be warned that in Spanish (at least in Spain) while the translation is usually good for dubbing it is often TERRIBLE for subtitles.

B.T.W. It is interesting to compare the Mexican and the Spanish translations of the Simpsons. The Spanish version is VERY Spanish, but the Mexican version is a kind of toned-down Mexican Spanish so that they can sell it to the rest of L.Am and so is much easier to understand than Mexican movies. They are both pretty fun and I found it useful to watch the same episode in both versions. Bringing my post back on topic I find that it can be useful too for clarification: usually if I do not understand some phrase in one version I can get it from the other (getting it from the original English would feel like cheating).

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version