United States
Joined 5339 days ago

35 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Korean

Message 1 of 7
22 May 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
How do you like it?
The grammar, vocabulary, audio, usefulness?
I'm thinking about buying it, but I want to make sure it's worth it.
I have NO knowledge of Korean yet (except the writing system), and I would really like something to help me get a decent start in the language. I have no idea where to begin. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm terribly sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I looked and didn't see one. If so, please feel free to send me to the Corner Of Shame.
1 person has voted this message useful

str0be
Korea, South
Joined 5399 days ago

103 posts - 148 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Korean

Message 2 of 7
24 May 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about 'Elementary Korean'.

I looked in a bookshop recently; I thought the 'Korean Made Easy' series (Publisher: Darakwon) looked good.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6059 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 3 of 7
24 May 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I didn't really like it. Based on what I remember... For a beginner just starting, the dialogues were pretty tough(I think because of the grammar usage, and the speed), and then they give a long list of vocab to memorize out of context. The way they break down verbs and list was really confusing too. Instead of giving the verb in plain form, they gave some sort of stem(so you'd have part of a word followed by a dash, sometimes with a roman letter in there too).

What I ended up using was Beginner's Korean (http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Korean-Hippocrene/dp/078181 0922). My library has limited selection, so I can't say what is the best course to use.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
24 May 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I actually started with Pimsleur (while learning Hangul separately) then later moved onto other sources, but I'm honestly not sure I'd recommend that same path now (not for Korean anyway).

I've not actually used "Elementary Korean," so I can't really provide any useful input on that series. I do like the "Survival Korean" series by Stephen Revere, though (it's similar in style to the "Let's Speak Korean" TV series he co-hosted, but in Book + CD format). My only real complaint with them is that they are a bit short and thus don't cover as much material as I'd hoped. They should be great starter material, though, and they include CDs with native speaker audio.

Survival Korean - http://www.hanbooks.com/sukoasebofor.html
Survival Korean: Basic Grammar - http://www.hanbooks.com/sukobagrskwc.html

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 7
25 May 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
I've used Elementary Korean and I liked it. The grammar was easy to understand, the conjugations were well laid out and simpler to learn than the other textbooks I used. There are an abundance of sample sentences with translations, and even exercises with an answer key if you like doing exercises.

I hardly listened to the CD that came with it because early on in my studies, I moved to Korean dramas and that's where I get most of my listening from.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
26 May 2010 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Warp3,

Would Survival Korean make sense for someone (me!) who is going to Korea in about a year and wants an introduction to the language and some practical usage but who won't take on the language full time at any point? Anyone have some other suggestions?

Edited by newyorkeric on 26 May 2010 at 3:42am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 7 of 7
26 May 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I think it would. It follows the story of someone who takes a trip to Korea and covers a different part of the visit in each chapter (visiting a friend, eating, shopping, a trip to Jeju Island, etc.), covering various grammar points along the way, so I could see it making a pretty good traveler's study guide.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version