United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5133 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Slovak

Message 1 of 18
23 May 2010 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I would like to know if anyone can help me out here.

I'm basically stuck deciding between two languages of study. Slovak or Esperanto. Now this may seem like a weird combination, but I would eventually like to learn both of these and here's why.

Slovakia is where my ancestors hail from. I already know some words and have the book "Beginning Slovak" I've started it already. My problem with Slovakian is that there is not any native speakers near me, none that I know of at least. After going through the first lesson I realize Slovak is going to be very hard and I'm a little discouraged. I've been having trouble even pronouncing the alphabet(which I want to know correctly so I can begin to pronounce the words correctly). I will learn Slovak eventually, but it is a matter of when, because I also would like to learn...

Esperanto. I'm eerily intrigued by this language, but I also love how it is another common language of communication. The other perk is that since I am a native English speaker, it shouldn't be too hard for me. My brother is also interested in learning Esperanto, but I believe he just thinks it will be easy(He doesn't share the same love of languages that I do)

Okay so now I was just wondering what you people think. Essentially I'm wondering whether I should continue with slovak or learn esperanto before slovak?
I don't want to sound like that's the only reason I want to learn Esperanto though!

Edited by Slovak_anglo on 23 May 2010 at 12:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 18
23 May 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
And... cue argument!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5133 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 

Message 3 of 18
23 May 2010 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I would just like to know what you guys think... is it a decision that matters? I'm just stuck on deciding.

By the way, I do speak basic fluent German... if that means anything

Edited by Slovak_anglo on 23 May 2010 at 12:41am

1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5373 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 4 of 18
23 May 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Why not do both? Esperanto is very simple and easy to learn quickly (You can be very fluent in a couple months, if that)

Both languages are more than within your reach! Shoot for the stars!

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5128 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 5 of 18
23 May 2010 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Hi, please don't look at my native language when reading my opinion ;)

Definitely Slovak or Slovak and Esperanto. Unlike Esperanto (which I personally don't like and I don't understand why would anyone learn it, when I hear or see it, I just think "Is this a childrens language, a joke or what", not to mention other things http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Esperanto), Slovak is a real, natural and integrated language. It sounds really beautiful, it is said to be the easiest of the Slavic languages, so after learning Slovak you will be able to learn Russian, Polish or others easily. It is spoken by more than 6 millions of Slovaks all around the world and it is mutually intelligible with Czech, so that gives you extra 12 millions of native speakers and two beautiful countries to visit. You will also understand Polish and the Poles will understand you - have a look at the Slovak thread, Slovaks and Poles talk to each other using their own languages.

If it was the language of your ancestors, thats a great reason to learn a language. I learned German for the same reason.

Dont worry if it seems more difficult than you expected, thats what all languages would seem if your native tongue is English (maybe except for Esperanto, Spanish and Italian ;) Unlike Czech for example, Slovak is a modern language, with a much simpler grammar and a clear pronunciation. I must assure you that except for 3 sounds (which are r, ľ and ch) every other sound in Slovak exists in English and you say it every day.

For example . "c" comes in the English word "bats", or "dz" comes in the word "rods", "ň" is in "new" and so on.

But if you want to learn Slovak, you certainly need someone who would correct your pronunciation or speak with you. There are Slovaks really everywhere, look around, maybe you will find some even in your city. And if not, try to find some via internet, practise your language by skype, find some Slovaks for language exchange for example on facebook or www.polyglotclub.com.

Slovak is just an incredibly beautiful language, go for it if you can.

Here is a little illustration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaBOgRRTEA doesnt it sound gorgeous? ;)

Good night and good luck!

Edited by Euphorion on 23 May 2010 at 2:38pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Fazla
Hexaglot
Italy
Joined 6050 days ago

166 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: Italian, Serbo-Croatian*, English, Russian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 6 of 18
23 May 2010 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Slovak all the way.

BUT if you base your decision on other people's opinions, you'll hardly get anywhere. Learn the one you enjoy learning the most.

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5128 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 7 of 18
23 May 2010 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Fazla wrote:
BUT if you base your decision on other people's opinions, you'll hardly get anywhere. Learn the one you enjoy learning the most.

Very well said!

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5133 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 

Message 8 of 18
23 May 2010 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Thanks to all the responses. I probably will learn both eventually. I think I'll probably stick to Slovak and keep working at it. Hopefully I can find some native speakers to help correct me.

D'akujem!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version