William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6081 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 17 of 28
26 May 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
George Washington is not on the list - he apparently only spoke English.
His lack of linguistic ability was a factor in an interesting early episode in his life. In 1754, he was involved in a clash with French troops, in which their commander, Jumonville, was killed. Later Washington and his men were captured by the French. They were released after signing a paper saying that Jumonville had been "assassinated". Washington subsequently said that he could not read the paper, which was in French, and it was poorly translated for him.
The clash contributed to the outbreak of the Seven Years' War (called the French and Indian War in America).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 28
07 June 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
You can get by in any country without learning a foreign language. Even in internationally minded Norway you can find people who do not travel, and who have no use whatsoever for a foreign language. I would not criticize individual Americans or call them lazy for not learning foreign languages - I am sure they learn things that we do not.

I would however criticize the authorities of the U.S. for not understanding that learning a foreign language is good for people of a nation who is as powerful as the U.S. That country's foreign interests would be much better served if a large number of their citizens spoke a foreign language and knew a foreign culture.

The point about not criticising anyone until you have walked one day in their shoes is relevant to language learning, which enables you to "walk in someone's shoes".

Does anyone know what the situation is like in Russia? They are in much the same position - great distances before you actually have the need to learn a foreign language - and a superpower. Do most people learn a language in school, and if so, at what age do they start?

When do people start to learn other languages in the U.S? Or England for that matter. They are close to countries with other languages, but I rarely come across Englishmen who speak another language fluently. This might indicate that it is more a "everyone speaks Englsih anyhow" syndrome here, than the fact that the U.S. is a big country.

4 persons have voted this message useful

hanni
aka cordelia0507
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5413 days ago

69 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*

Message 19 of 28
07 August 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
So if they are a US president and speak a few words in another languages it's a big deal...!   Compare with European heads of state: Angela Merkel for example she speaks at least 3 languages fluently, same with Yves Leterme in Belgium; the rest are bilingual at the very least.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 20 of 28
08 August 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
I remember reading through that article a while ago, and loved it.
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone else find it cool that
we had a president whose first language wasn't English (Martin Van Buren, lived in the
New York area, spoke Dutch first and learned English in school)

johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 21 of 28
08 August 2010 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
hanni wrote:
So if they are a US president and speak a few words in another languages
it's a big deal...!   Compare with European heads of state: Angela Merkel for example she
speaks at least 3 languages fluently, same with Yves Leterme in Belgium; the rest are
bilingual at the very least.
Well, of course one should expect a Belgian to be
multilingual (at least one in politics) because the country itself is bilingual.
And in America you don't get the same exposure to foreign languages as you do in Europe.
I don't think it's too comparable because Europeans (especially ones in mainland Europe)
get way more exposure to foreign languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5228 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 22 of 28
16 August 2010 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
For effect of curiousity, knowing the languages of presidents around the world isn't a bad deal. However, considering an utter globlalized world we live in, those presidents should tackle at least English and even another extra language...pity that the "president" of my homecountry just bashes anyone who speaks English and other languages.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 23 of 28
17 August 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
...A large number or the earlier presidents spoke Latin or Greek or both, possibly French too. In comparison, I'd say there is no modern European leader that doesn't speak one or two other languages, in the case of English very well (or Irish in Ireland), and probably another pretty well too.
You're forgetting the Spanish president, whose English skills (let alone 'harder' languages) are conspicuously at the same level as his other ones. Unless of course you think he can't be properly called a leader, which would make you right by definition ;)

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4955 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 24 of 28
30 October 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
This page was excluded... This isnĀ“t good

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>