Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4955 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 26 of 28
16 November 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
It was returned. Somebody didn´t like... But, it doesn´t have nothing about Kennedy´s
skills. Doesn´t he know any language? How he was soldier in World War II, he might speak
German, Italian or French. His wife, Jackie spoke French, Italian and Spanish, perhaps
she had some knowledge in Greek therefore your relations with Onassis.
I want informations on him.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6188 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 28
16 November 2010 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Gorgoll2 wrote:
It was returned. Somebody didn´t like... But, it doesn´t have nothing about Kennedy´s
skills. Doesn´t he know any language? How he was soldier in World War II, he might speak
German, Italian or French. His wife, Jackie spoke French, Italian and Spanish, perhaps
she had some knowledge in Greek therefore your relations with Onassis.
I want informations on him.

JFK was in the navy so there was probably not much need for a second language there. As for whether he spoke one or not, I can't find anything online. But I did come across this famous urban legend on wikipedia that I actually believed (the horror) until now:

It is a common misconception that Kennedy made a risible error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner." According to this idea, Kennedy referred to himself not as a "citizen of Berlin", but as a "jam doughnut", which is known in parts of Germany as a "Berliner".

Kennedy should, supposedly, have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin." By adding the indefinite article ein his statement, supposedly, implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jam doughnut".

The indefinite article ein is omitted when speaking of an individual's profession or residence but is necessary when speaking in a figurative sense as Kennedy did. Since the president was not literally from Berlin but only declaring his solidarity with its citizens, "Ich bin Berliner" would not have been correct.

caracao
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4929 days ago

53 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German

Message 28 of 28
18 November 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Do not forget the French politicians, they do not speak foreign languages, only French.
But things are changing, the young generation is learning English.

France can be compared with Usa, no need, unless you need it to work, for business purposes, to learn a foreign language. Not to mention English is the the trade and scientific language nowadays.
As for France, used to be the international language (a very long time ago, at a time where only educated and rich people travelled). But that remained inthe French culture, this reluctance to learn foreign languages. But things are changing.

But this can be seen in any country, when you get away from the big cities, most people do not need to learn foreign languages.

As for USA, the lack of immediate borders doesn't help. And as for the latino community, do not forget that after the third generation in USA, almost anybody speaks Spanish fluently, like any immigrants, they become, will become native English speakers.

Edited by caracao on 18 November 2010 at 8:59pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version