Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6641 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 1 of 3
25 May 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I am just getting ready to start Pimsleur Korean, which has volumes I and II. My question, to those who have finished them, how well did it help you speak after you finished it? Does it instill an understanding of the grammar and sentence structure enough to where you can easily use vocab learned outside of pimsleur, and know hot to conjugate the verbs/adjectives, so that you can basically speak correctly on most things when you have the vocabulary?

Thanks for the help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 2 of 3
25 May 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
You will pick up some implied grammar from Pimsleur, but I'd recommend studying grammar as a follow up to Pimsleur which will quickly trigger several "Aha!" moments as it clicks those concepts that you've learned by example into place (at least that was my experience). Your vocabulary will also be quite lacking afterward, so ramping that up will help a lot. The items you *do* know, you should know quite while due to the built-in spaced repetition, though.

I would also strongly advise learning Hangul pronunciation early then doing everything you can to find the actual spelling of words they introduce for each lesson. Why? Some of the pronunciation in Pimsleur Korean I (especially from the female speaker, I'm not sure if it's her particular dialect or what) is very confusing/misleading for a beginner. (Pimsleur Korean II has different native speakers and, in my opinion, is a bit better in this area.) I didn't actively do this early on and really wish I had as I was pronouncing a few things wrong for a good portion of the course as I was pronouncing what I *thought* I heard.

This is why I believe that Pimsleur really *needs* a transcript (especially for courses like Korean where the phonetics are quite different from English), but they insist that a transcript would "violate the method." After using both Pimsleur Korean and Pimsleur Spanish, I personally feel that Spanish is really far better suited to the Pimsleur format than Korean is. Don't get me wrong...I don't regret going through the Pimsleur Korean course (as I did learn a *lot* from it), but I do regret not confirming things along the way (in fact, partway through Pimsleur Korean II, I got in a habit of looking up new words they introduced and was much happier with the result).

Edited by Warp3 on 25 May 2010 at 5:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6641 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 3 of 3
26 May 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the nice response Warp. I completely agree with you about a language like Spanish, which I know quite well and used Pimsleur for, is more suited for the Pimsleur method for someone who is a complete newbie. I have been in Korea for 10 weeks now, and in that time I have learned to read Hangul with rather decent pronunciation. Prior to coming to Korea I did the first 3 lessons of Korean, and now looking back I was mispronouncing some of the words. I had a difficult time hearing the differences between sounds like ㅓ/ㅏ , etc. Now that I have been exposed to it daily, and I read it daily, I believe that I am ready to go back to Pimsleur, and to be able to pronounce most of the words correctly.

I also highly recommend learning to read Hangul with correct pronunciation prior to starting Pimsleur. A teacher on youtube helped me a lot. Follow his videos and do them repeatedly and you will have drastic improvements. The soft sounding consonants at the end of a syllable can be difficult to hear as well until you get accustomed to it.

The teacher I was talking about: Learn Hangul

Edited by Americano on 26 May 2010 at 12:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version