Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
242 messages over 31 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 30 31 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 161 of 242
14 September 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Last night I did about 45 minutes of Russian and a little bit of Pimsleur Farsi, but I was falling asleep so I'm not sure how much I did, and how much of that I actually retained.

Today I started again with Day 8, since I hadn't done that in a long time. Day 8 is Russian and Swahili, if you'll remember. I have done my hour of Russian today using Ultimate Russian, and I finished lesson one (vocabulary in BYKI), and lesson two (minus studying the vocabulary) and some of lesson three.

I have not yet done my Swahili, but I'll see if I can squeeze it in. I'm still trying to adjust to my school schedule (and having to get up super early to be able to work in the morning), so I haven't quite figured out this time thing...

Anki today: 905 repetitions in 45.63 minutes. :)

Спокойной ночи! Usiku mwema!
1 person has voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5851 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 162 of 242
14 September 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Great numbers on the anki I got through 100 before I got bored so you have great concentration :-)

logical123
United States
Joined 5149 days ago

31 posts - 32 votes
Studies: German
Studies: Norwegian, Persian

Message 163 of 242
16 September 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
You are god to me. I guess you're a Junior as well, and the fact that you know and study with this much vigor on top of full time school is immense. I wish I had 3 hours every day after I had finished my homework, chores, and extracurriculars. I'll be soon entering what I would consider a hardcore study routine, of about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day, but I might start loosing sleep over it. As is the way when you're in all Honors, as well as taking AP Calc and AP US History. I would like to do a rotating schedule, but I feel starting 4 languages + German (which I also study in school) would be a wee bit insane.

Wie viele Zeit braucht deinen Erfolgen? Natürlich eine lange Zeit, aber wie lange? So oder so, deinen Betrieb ist immens, so viel Glück zu dir!

-Rob

Edited by logical123 on 16 September 2010 at 3:15am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 164 of 242
16 September 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
I've been rather busy with school and preparing stuff for the Greek class I'm teaching (yay), and adding in my level of extreme distractedness and "occasional" laziness equals not having had a lot of time lately. I've done some Anki but that's essentially it. Luckily, we have a random three-day weekend with no school on Friday, so I'll be able to hopefully catch up. I feel really pathetic at not having done anything lately. Darn that laziness.

Vielen Dank logical 123. Was meintest du als du “deinen Erfolgen” gesagt hast? Wenn du wie lange habe ich gebraucht um Deutsch bis jetzt zu lernen meinst, das ist schon fast zwei Jahre. Ich habe meine Studien der deutschen Sprache in November 2008 begonnten. Aber davor, konnte ich schon fließend Englisch, Spanisch, Französisch, Portugiesisch (und natürlich auch ein bisschen Griechisch). Englisch ist leider meine Muttersprache, aber Griechisch und Spanisch sind auch fast wie Muttersprachen für mich. Meine Familie kommt aus Griechenland, also ich habe viel Griechisch von meinen Verwandten gehört als ich ein kleines Kind war. Meine Grundschule war zweisprachig mit Englisch und Spanisch, deshalb habe ich seit ungefähr elf Jahren fließend Spanisch sprechen können. Später habe ich begonnten um Griechisch zu lernen, aber es war immer sehr leicht für mich wegen der Belichtung in meiner Kindheit. Seit ungefähr drei Jahre entschied ich, dass ich Französisch und Portugiesisch lernen mußte, und sie waren echt leicht für mich, weil sie Spanisch sehr ähnlich sind. Ein Jahr später begonnte ich mein Deutsch, und nach einem Monat, Italienisch. Jetzt lerne ich zu viele Sprache und jetzt habe ich leider keine Zeit um alle zu lernen...

EDIT: Und ja, ich bin ein Junior. Dieses Jahr nehme ich auch nur fortgeschrittene Klassen, z.B. AP US History. :) Aber, ich bin FURCHTBAR in Mathe, also dieses Jahr bin ich in Algebra 2. Ich wünsche auch dir viel Glück mit deinem Studienplan!

Edited by ellasevia on 16 September 2010 at 8:03am

logical123
United States
Joined 5149 days ago

31 posts - 32 votes
Studies: German
Studies: Norwegian, Persian

Message 165 of 242
16 September 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Ich fuelte mich sehr, dass ich deine Anlage kann verstehen!

Okay, back to English. deinen Erfolgen, I just realized should be 'deine' I think, so how much time did your (current) achievements take? Thanks for the nice response, I get the feeling that no one else in my class could read it at all... They're all terrible, and I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Not a care in the world for the language. And while having an insane teacher makes things difficult (sehr diffizil :( ), self study and euronews have being my saving graces.

Viel Spass und Auf Wiedersehen!

Edited by logical123 on 16 September 2010 at 2:25pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 166 of 242
17 September 2010 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
So today I didn't do anything either besides Anki and one kanji review (yay). Actually, I need to finish my Anki. Also, I've figured out how to do Anki on my phone while I'm at school, so I can do that at lunch and in my archery class and such. Also between classes, and people think I'm weird as I'm walking through the hallway, tapping at my phone and randomly saying words in Swahili or Romanian. Fun! The only problem is that my phone is linguistically challenged in terms of scripts, so I can only review the languages that use the Latin alphabet, so that sadly excludes Japanese, Russian, Greek, and Persian.

I forgot to mention this last night, but I've done a little bit of flirting with another random language lately. I have absolutely no intentions to adding it to my schedule or even of learning it in the near future (if at all), but it was sort of interesting reading about it and learning a few words. What language? Basque. :D Anyways, I somehow found my way to this website, and did the first four lessons a couple days ago. Of course, I've forgotten most of it now, but it was still cool. And now one of my friends is learning Basque because I helped her find some resources. :) Euskara!

I have assembled my materials for the weekend along with a list of my studying goals. Here they are. If they look long and scary, that's because I'm also trying to make up for not having studied the past few days and to make the total hours be what they would have been if that had happened.
Persian: 3 hours
Greek: 2.5 hours
German: 2.5 hours
Romanian: 2 hours
Russian: 1.5 hours
Swahili: 1.5 hours
Japanese: 1 hour
Swedish: 1 hour
TOTAL: 15 hours

Also, I'd like to review all of my open Anki decks as usual and also to get caught up on at least one of my Esperanto, Greek, or Swahili decks. Finally, I feel COMPLETELY embarrassed about the fact that I have essentially forgotten all of the kanji I worked so hard to learn because I really haven't reviewed them since June, so I'm going to start really doing those again now. DAILY REQUIREMENT. I feel ludicrous saying that I know like 2000 kanji and then not being able to write any. I need to hang that kanji poster somewhere near my computer so that I can look at it and have it guilt me into doing my kanji. ;)

So, I'll go do some homework and then Anki now so that I can have a lighter load for the next three days. Tomorrow I hope to get a third of those hours done, so at least five hours of studying.

Good night.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 167 of 242
18 September 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
DAY 3: Persian, Swedish
Anki Reviews: 853 repetitions in 42.98 minutes
Kanji Reviews: 988 due; 31 reviewed; 10 restudied

Today was okay... But it could have been better. I didn't have school, so it was also a bit of a relaxation day. Once I was able to convince myself to actually start my work I would get a lot done, but as I was feeling rather lazy, that was no easy feat!

While on a bike ride this morning I listened to lesson 10 of Pimsleur Farsi and half of lesson 11. That was 45 minutes total. Most of the content was about time and numbers, so I can confidently say things like "ساعت يک خوب نيست، ساعت پنج؟" (One o'clock is not good, how about five o'clock?) now. One problem that came up was that since I have my original 10 first lessons from one source and lessons 11-30 from another, the content doesn't quite match up right and it seems that some stuff was introduced previously from the other source, so I'll have to catch up. I still have 2 hours and 15 minutes of Persian to do this weekend.

Later on I did 1.5 hours of Russian, which entailed studying vocabulary from Ultimate Russian lesson two, reading about the verbs of motion (now I see why people make such a fuss about them!) and adding some to Anki, and then (gasp) I learned the cursive Cyrillic alphabet. I've been meaning to learn that for a while but kept putting it off. I noticed that my block letter Cyrillic handwriting just looked so messy and ugly when I was writing vocabulary down, so I finally decided to learn it. I can write most of the letters fairly easily now, with some exceptions of course. It was much easier than I expected!

Much later I began my German. I finally went back and combed through several texts from my class in school that had lots of unknown words and I added them all to Anki. One was an article about the child labor involved in making chocolate in West Africa, and the other was called Abschiedsbrief eines Vierzehnjährigen and was an angry letter from a fourteen-year-old boy to his parents explaining how they had driven him to run away from home. Finally, I had a few minutes left, so I read some of an online newspaper article auf Deutsch and added vocabulary to Anki. Altogether I added over 200 new words.

Not including Anki and kanji reviews, I studied for almost the desired amount today, which is to say fifteen minutes short of my five hour goal. That’s pretty good, I think!

!شب بخير God natt!

P.S. I keep forgetting to mention this--it's been just over a year now that I've been recording my studies in a language log on here! I started my first log on September 13, 2009. :)

Edited by ellasevia on 18 September 2010 at 11:46am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 168 of 242
19 September 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
DAY 5: Greek, Romanian
Anki Reviews: 586 repetitions in 28.15 minutes
Kanji Reviews: 966 due; 5 reviewed; 0 restudied

Today was an interesting day. I woke up extremely late (just look at my posting time from last night) and then procrastinated for a couple hours. I finally started my Romanian and then my Swedish, but it took some serious mental discipline. (I have problems with starting to work on something--once I can get myself to start I thoroughly enjoy it, but starting is like pulling teeth.) Later in the evening I lot focus a lot, so I had to stop with just Romanian and Swedish.

For Romanian I studied two vocabulary lists from TY Romanian (lesson eight) and then proceeded to lesson nine. I went through all of that, which taught about the present perfect tense and the definite genitive-dative forms. This means that I now know eight inflections (according to gender, number, case, and definiteness) for every Romanian noun. I even made a table to illustrate these! This took up all two hours of my time, and as I was anxious to continue working on other things, I didn't get to study the 60+ words of vocabulary from lesson nine.

For Swedish I spent my hour just studying the vocabulary lists from lesson six of Colloquial Swedish. That's all, nothing interesting to report here. I am anxious though to finish Colloquial because I really would like to finish that and still have time to go through Assimil before the end of the calendar year.

I believe that's all. That amounts to a grand total of three hours of study time today. I intended to do my Swahili and another 30 minutes of Persian too, but I never got around to it. :( This means that for tomorrow, to finish up my weekend goals, I still have the following to do:
- Greek: 2.5 hours
- Persian: 2.25 hours
- Swahili: 1.5 hours
- Japanese: 1 hour
- ~150 kanji reviews/restudies
- Review Greek or Swahili vocabulary (I "hid" my Esperanto list since I realized that I'm not going to go back to Esperanto anytime soon, if at all, so there's no point in punishing myself with hundreds of painful vocabulary reviews if I'm not going to study the language--unlike with Dutch)

Καληνύχτα! Noapte bună!

Edited by ellasevia on 20 September 2010 at 9:20am

This discussion contains 242 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version